SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Arai RX 7 Price ???? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/arai-rx-7-price-22491/)

hondavtr1000sp2 05-12-2010 08:06 PM

Arai RX 7 Price ????

O.k, I am looking at buying a new Arai RX7 helmet-white color.
Here in Australia at the local bike shop the price is around $1100au.
But on ebay, they are selling new white Arai RX7 helmets for $550au plus $50au postage from Japan !
So my question is, are these the same quality helmets, with just a large price mark up ?
Or is the quality different between countries ?

I would appreciate if we could keep this on topic about the Arai & not turn this into a "I prefer another brand of helmet".
Thanks in advance if any one can help.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Arai-RX7-RX-7...item45f2dadb44

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Arai-RX7-RX-7...item4aa03f498c

Killemall 05-13-2010 03:11 AM

I bought my RX7 Haga edition about 3 yrs ago on Ebay for $400, which at the time was about $350 less than the price of the helmet in any retail store (+$700). The helmet was absolutely perfect, no issues at all. I'm not sure why there is such a huge mark up, but I'm quite confident that those ads on Ebay are legit.

bink 05-13-2010 05:17 AM

The RX7 has been discontinued and replaced with the new RXQ...so the prices have come down considerably...and no there is not a difference in arai helmet quality from country to country

hondavtr1000sp2 05-13-2010 05:19 AM

Thanks for the reply Killemall, do you remember what country was the seller from ?

At my work they have a 50%-70% price mark up, so i am hoping this is the same thing & not a counterfeit.

hondavtr1000sp2 05-13-2010 05:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info Bink.
I had a look at Arai America web site & they are showing the Corsair-V as the replacement for the RX7, I think the RX-Q is replacing the Quantum.
Below from left to right is the RX7, Corsair-V, Quantum, RX-Q.

http://www.araiamericas.com/default....id=57#/helmets

NH-Archer 05-13-2010 07:09 AM

I just picked up a lightly used Quantum F for $50 off the local Craigslist!!!! Oh, it had 2 shields with it too!!!

thusspakebenji 05-13-2010 07:38 AM

Do not buy used helmets. Not only do all helmets "expire" after about 5 years (the material inside them goes brittle and will not protect you in the event of a crash), but if the helmet was in a crash or banged up in some way it also renders the helmet useless as the material has been compacted. Not 100% on this but I'm fairly sure that helmets are meant to withstand one crash and then be replaced. Unless you can be absoultely sure that the helmet you're buying is new and not expired, I'd be careful. I only buy a helmet if it's new, DOT and SNELL approved, and I know the expiration date. Cant put a price on that lovely noggin of yours right :)

Killemall 05-13-2010 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2 (Post 265648)
Thanks for the reply Killemall, do you remember what country was the seller from ?

At my work they have a 50%-70% price mark up, so i am hoping this is the same thing & not a counterfeit.

If I remember correctly it was Japan as well.

hondavtr1000sp2 05-13-2010 08:50 PM

Thanks Killemall, I think i will get one of these ebay RX7's unless any one else can give a reason why not ! I would rather pay $600 & wait a couple of weeks for delivery than pay $1100.

Thusspakebenji, I agree totally. Back in 1990 i had a Shoei X8 (Great helmet) I had a big off & wacked my head on the ground (grass), but there were no marks on the helmet.

8541Hawk 05-13-2010 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2 (Post 265649)
Thanks for the info Bink.
I had a look at Arai America web site & they are showing the Corsair-V as the replacement for the RX7, I think the RX-Q is replacing the Quantum.
Below from left to right is the RX7, Corsair-V, Quantum, RX-Q.

http://www.araiamericas.com/default....id=57#/helmets

You beat me to it but that is correct, the RX-7 Corsair is now the Corsair-V.
The RX-Q is the new Quantum.;)

8541Hawk 05-13-2010 10:17 PM

After looking at the ad the only other comment I have is they are not the "Standard" RX-7 but the RX-7GP which uses a different face shield.
You might want to check on the availability of replacement shields.

Also it is just J.I.S. certified, not that that is a bad thing but if you need a D.O.T. or Euro standard sticker on your hat, it will not have one.

residentg 05-14-2010 12:51 AM

I resently bought mine here:

http://www.compacc.com/

good prices on last year's models, Arai's are awesome.

hondavtr1000sp2 05-14-2010 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 265761)
You beat me to it but that is correct, the RX-7 Corsair is now the Corsair-V.
The RX-Q is the new Quantum.;)

Thanks for the confirmation 8541Hawk. :cool:
& thanks for the info on the G.P, i didnt know about the G.P, i just thought there was only one RX7. So i did a quick search & it sounds like the RX7 GP is the better of the two, with some slight upgrades. Here is a review. http://www.motorbikestoday.com/featu...arai_rx7gp.htm
And 8541Hawk yes i was thinking about the safety sticker, in Australia we have a Australian standards sticker, but $600 vers's $1100 !

Residentg, thanks for the link, but i am after a white Arai RX7 & there price's are around $700us for the white one's not including postage to Australia. The ebay white RX7 is $600au delivered. But thanks again for the link & reply.;)

8541Hawk 05-14-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2 (Post 265790)
Thanks for the confirmation 8541Hawk. :cool:
& thanks for the info on the G.P, i didnt know about the G.P, i just thought there was only one RX7. So i did a quick search & it sounds like the RX7 GP is the better of the two, with some slight upgrades. Here is a review. http://www.motorbikestoday.com/featu...arai_rx7gp.htm
And 8541Hawk yes i was thinking about the safety sticker, in Australia we have a Australian standards sticker, but $600 vers's $1100 !

After doing a bit of research I believe the RX-7 GP is what is also known as the Corsair-V so that is a great deal.

As for the safety sticker, here in Ca I wouldn't worry about it as any officer that would know to look for the sticker would know the hat is fine.
I don't know how picky they get there but then again wouldn't the sticker be upside down anyways........ :crackup:

hondavtr1000sp2 05-14-2010 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 265831)
After doing a bit of research I believe the RX-7 GP is what is also known as the Corsair-V so that is a great deal.

As for the safety sticker, here in Ca I wouldn't worry about it as any officer that would know to look for the sticker would know the hat is fine.
I don't know how picky they get there but then again wouldn't the sticker be upside down anyways........ :crackup:

Upside down :lol:,.......... Yeah, in 20 years i have never had a police officer check the safety sticker on my helmets (& i have been stopped lots ;)). I could all ways by a dirt cheap $10 used helmet here in Australia & then take the safety sticker from that $10 helmet & stick it onto the RX7.:cool:

mattijw 05-15-2010 09:06 AM

I think the big question is over the AS-1698 sticker, without it your not legal in Australia.
They might never catch you but it could be a excuse for your insurance to not pay in the event of a accident, contributory negligence and all that. A mate of mine rode right round oz (10,000+ miles on a rxs100!) and he reckoned the cops out there loved to give out fines for any offense they could find. It's quite possible it was just him though.

Wade through this for the arguments!

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...helmets-95878/

You could try asking a custom helmet painter though, those guys might have stickers to re-apply.

hondavtr1000sp2 05-15-2010 05:45 PM

Mattijw, I had a quick read of that helmet safety sticker debate, I think this sums it up - I am out of this once and for all. Oh before I go qualifications: LLB (Hon), Bcom (Mas), 10 years litigation experience but as you say there are other more qualified than me, how about a Barrister of 20 years experience who has also confirmed my opinion on how the regulation ought be construed and offered to defend any one who gets pinged for it if they can prove their helmet is exactly the same as one that is sold here with an AS sticker....

Again, if the legislative drafter intended that a protective helmet must have a sticker etc, he would not have put the words 'or one that is of a standard or type' into the regulation because otherwise such wording would be redundant.

I used to work as a motorcycle messenger & a few guys i worked with, when they got a new helmet they would cut off the chin straps straight away, because when you ride a bike for 12 hours a day working, taking your helmet off & back on again all day is time consuming & as a courier time is $$$$$$. My point is, we worked monday-friday 7am-7pm & we never had our helmets checked ! And i do not condone the removal of your chin strap's, this was just for example of the police not checking helmet standards of any kind.

mattijw 05-18-2010 12:03 AM

I would totally agree, at the end of the day a Rx7 is a excellent helmet and probably one of the safest places to put your head, sticker or not. I know that for myself I like to be as legal as possible (and know what laws I'm breaking so I can argue back!) as most police can be bureaucratic when they want to be. Eg in the UK dark tint visors are illegal, while it's generally overlooked the police can (and have) confiscated them, sending people riding home without any visor! so I like to carry a clear too.

At that price difference for a sticker though? I'd go for the Japanese one every time!

hondavtr1000sp2 05-18-2010 05:40 AM

Mattijw, thanks for the comments i appreciate them :). I've had Arai's before & really like them, & i hear what you are saying about the sticker :cool:. But that price difference :eek:!

hondavtr1000sp2 06-15-2010 05:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
O.k I'm still a bit confused about the RX7, a local bike shop owner that sells Arai's told me that the euro RX7 has a different weight than the U.S model RX7 & another ebay site selling RX7's told me that the Jap,U.S & Euro model RX7's are all different construction :confused: :wtf1:.....& that the Jap version has the lowest quality. I think i may have to go straight to the source & e-mail Arai America or Arai Japan for the answer !

But i need a new helmet & i don't want to wait any longer so i bought a HJC FS-15 Carbon fiber. I did my research & it seemed to get very good reviews, good build quality, light weight, maybe not the most quiet & i think i got a good price $234us ($270au) + delivery to Australia. This helmet is not sold in Australia, they are still selling the HJC ac-12 & charging $900ish au. So i am very happy with my new helmet, it turn up today & yes it is light, great build quality, removable/washable liner, removable check pads, secure visor movement. All good, i would recommend this helmet for the price.

Hawkrider 06-15-2010 08:00 AM

Damn, you guys must make an awful lot of money down there for shit to be that expensive! :mrgreen:

hondavtr1000sp2 06-16-2010 07:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
F#*k yeah, i retired at age 19 :rolleyes:! We buy this S*#t cheap from America & then sell it for a small fortune in Australia.:shock:

Even tho we only get .82 cents to the dollar ! :mad: :cry:

georgedombeck 06-28-2010 08:17 AM

Euro helmets have different standards than US. There was a huge write up about it in one of the cycle mags. All the moto gp guys wear the euro spec helmets. g