SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Any thoughts on AlpineStar's DryStar 360? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/any-thoughts-alpinestars-drystar-360-a-10597/)

volfireman19 02-21-2007 03:04 AM

Any thoughts on AlpineStar's DryStar 360?

I dont know much about textile suits. But I hear that Aerostich is the sh!t. Too rich for my blood. any comments are welcome. Thanks

cliby 02-21-2007 09:58 AM

I don't know the alpinestar suit. Aerostich sometimes has some great price reductions on ordered customs never picked up or wrong sized etc - I believe they update and post them. also some seldom used on ebay at various times.

bill

RPV-Hawk 02-21-2007 11:51 AM

I've got a stich and I love it. Price is high, but it will last and last and last... Mine is 8 years old, and my bro's is 15 years old.

volfireman19 02-21-2007 05:52 PM

Thanks. My intrest in the DryStar is based on price ( arround $500 ) Looks ( All Black, one piece-can where over normal clothes) and It's AlpineStar which has a popular name. I wish I could say that is enough for me, I just hate spending good money on crap. Any other thoughts?

L8RGYZ 02-21-2007 06:53 PM

Leather.

RPV-Hawk 02-22-2007 09:04 AM

For a track day, no question, leather is the way to go, but for daily riding, I have to see/find a leather suit that is easy to get into, out of, and that you can wear "normal" clothes under it.

I understand about the cost issue, Stich suits are NOT cheap, once you add in the hip pads and back pads and customize it to fit your frame, they can easily hit $1000.

kevink2 02-22-2007 11:10 AM

I've not been happy with any Alpinestars piece I've bought so far...cheap stitching, stuff falls apart. I sacked up and bought an Aerostitch (with knee pucks!). Probably the best thing I've ever bought... used it for two trackdays and undoubtedly the best suit for the road. Ventilation is not bad for warm days, and with the optional padding and back protector, it's pretty good for protection as well. Funny thing is it goes on just like my newborn kid's pajamas...:lol:

volfireman19 02-22-2007 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by kevink2 (Post 42577)
I've not been happy with any Alpinestars piece I've bought so far...cheap stitching, stuff falls apart. I sacked up and bought an Aerostitch (with knee pucks!). Probably the best thing I've ever bought... used it for two trackdays and undoubtedly the best suit for the road. Ventilation is not bad for warm days, and with the optional padding and back protector, it's pretty good for protection as well. Funny thing is it goes on just like my newborn kid's pajamas...:lol:

What do you have that is made by Alpine Star?

volfireman19 02-22-2007 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk (Post 42567)
For a track day, no question, leather is the way to go, but for daily riding, I have to see/find a leather suit that is easy to get into, out of, and that you can wear "normal" clothes under it.

I understand about the cost issue, Stich suits are NOT cheap, once you add in the hip pads and back pads and customize it to fit your frame, they can easily hit $1000.

When I'm feeling like I want to ride aggresive I wear the leather suit. And definatley on track days. But I ride my Hawk every day... Yes it is nice... It kinda sounds like I need to compare the Star and the Stich more closley.

I thank you for the feed back

kevink2 02-22-2007 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by volfireman19 (Post 42582)
What do you have that is made by Alpine Star?

Two pairs of gloves and boots...all are falling apart. Had to shoo goo the soles back on the boots a few months ago.

Keep in mind also that Aerostitch is a custom made suit, not off the shelf. It took a 6 weeks for my suit to get "built". They will not even build one for you until you take shipment of a sample unit to try on and ride with. After you do this, you let them know how it fits, and they'll start on your suit, while you send the tester back. I also opted for the sportbike cut, instead of the standard more upright touring suit. Bohn makes a nice back protector that's also made directly for this suit.

volfireman19 02-22-2007 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by kevink2 (Post 42584)
Two pairs of gloves and boots...all are falling apart. Had to shoo goo the soles back on the boots a few months ago.

Keep in mind also that Aerostitch is a custom made suit, not off the shelf. It took a 6 weeks for my suit to get "built". They will not even build one for you until you take shipment of a sample unit to try on and ride with. After you do this, you let them know how it fits, and they'll start on your suit, while you send the tester back. I also opted for the sportbike cut, instead of the standard more upright touring suit. Bohn makes a nice back protector that's also made directly for this suit.

If you don't mind me asking... How much have you spent on this so far? And what additions will you make to it if any... And Do you where your suit over normal clothes?

kevink2 02-22-2007 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by volfireman19 (Post 42585)
If you don't mind me asking... How much have you spent on this so far? And what additions will you make to it if any... And Do you where your suit over normal clothes?

Probably around $1000 with all the extras... it's done and will never need anything else. Yeah I can just jump in there with my street clothes, that's the best thing about it (and that's why the test fit is critical). Coincidentally they just emailed me their latest list of clearance stuff, they do have suits occasionally on sale...PM me and I can email you the latest list...

RPV-Hawk 02-22-2007 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by volfireman19 (Post 42585)

My aerostich was $727 (base price)
+ Extended Gusset $65
+ Back Panel Ellipse +50
+ Knee Slider Velcro +50
+ Additional Forward Rotated Sleeves $85
+ Competition Back Pad $85
+ Hip Pads $30
+ Asphalt & Gas Leather Slider $47

Grand total not including shipping... $1139

I Wear mine damn near everywhere. I wear it over dress pants/dress shirt on my way to work in the morning. I wear it over "street" clothes riding around town, and I wear it @ the track with lite pants/lite shirt under it.

volfireman19 02-24-2007 12:30 PM

Thanks for the link kevink2.