SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Alpinestars Supertech-R boots (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/alpinestars-supertech-r-boots-31244/)

xeris 10-11-2013 07:59 AM

Alpinestars Supertech-R boots

As I have read, a dedicated pair of riding boots is usually the last piece of gear that riders purchased. I certainly fall into this category. It's been three years since I became owner of my SH and finally purchased some moto boots.
Shortly after getting the SH I ordered a pair of TCX boots, don't remember the model, but it was lower end price point. I was disappointed in the perceived quality. I sent them back. I might have kept them if the fit had been close, but no cigar. If you have a high volume foot these might work for you. Not me. I have a somewhat wide (D width) foot, but not shaped like a loaf of bread. Sasquatch would fit in a boot like this. The other negative, in my opinion, was the marginal look and feel of the synthetic "leather". Overall that model TCX didn't strike me as that great a boot. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Had my eye on some others, which are made with real leather which is a feature I really wanted. http://www.vitessemoto.com/boots/glove.php. This choice became a non as the company was taking orders and money and not sending the boots. Read here Vitesse Glove Boots - webBikeWorld
Another boot that was under consideration: VT496 TOURER - Touring - Boots) These boots are also available from Welcome to BikerWorldUSA.com
and this one: https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=69 which I didn’t know was in the sub $400 range when I bought the A*s. I must have had this model mixed up with the Gore-Tex version, which is close to $500. Too bad as this boot looks to be very, very nice, and the one that would have fit the bill perfectly.
I found myself gradually going up the price ladder as I read the reviews of all the boots I researched. Trying to find the boot that had all the features, fit, finish and look that I wanted. "Look" brings up another item on my list of features that seemed important to me. Most of the big name brands have that power ranger look, especially at the upper end of the model lineup. This was not something I really wanted, which made the whole search process that much more difficult. I reached my limit on searching and looking and bought a pair.
About 6 weeks ago I found a deal on A* Supertech R boots. Alpinestars Supertech R Boots | MotoSport I purchased the red/black. Wanted all black, but only the red/black was in my size. I thought that $349 was a good price for this level of boot. These normally retail for $449.
The A* Supertech-R boots seem to have generally good reviews across the web, especially when it comes to fit and comfort on and off the bike. My experience is consistent with these reviews. The sizing was very close to true, I wear a size 11.5 (medium width) which translates to a size 46 euro. The fit is
Close to perfect. With a slight bit of extra room, I'll be able to fit heavier socks for cooler weather. I have also read that in the smaller sizes that they run a bit big, as much as a full size.
Quality of materials and construction are first class, again I wonder how the "synthetic leather" will hold up long term, or in a get off. It is not very thick and overall durability is a question mark in my mind.
This issue is probably just in my head as the boots are intended and sold as track capable. I also read a review about the strap and ratchet on the calf area detaching it's self. Because of the boots internal bracing system and the replaceable red bits on the outside of the boot, I think I'll be able to tone them down to my modesty level. After using them a few weeks I grown more comfortable, that is less self conscious of the racer look. One thing is certain is I feel like my feet are well protected. That piece of mind is worth whatever the imperfect fashion statement is.
These boots are truly comfy. The inner bootie works well to cradle your foot. It’s like a big pair of bedroom slippers. The bracing on the outside of the bootie does not intrude or press against your foot when the outer boot is slipped on. The whole package works very well on the comfort side of things. I was very surprised. It’s apparent that a lot of good engineering went into the design of this boot.
I’m not one to go somewhere and spend a lot of time walking around, but you could do it in these boots.
While slightly ski bootish they are not so much as to make walking difficult of uncomfortable. That said they are not your favorite pair of tennis shoes.
Only a few shifting misses as I got used to the different feel. After adjusting the position of the shift lever and more riding things are working nicely. The feel of the bike on the pegs and controls comes through the boots well without being over intrusive.
The soles are quite grippy. They seem to hold well on a verity of surfaces. Having not been in the rain with them, that remains an unknown.
Overall I’d say it’s an outstanding piece of kit and I look forward to putting lots of miles on them.

FTL900 10-11-2013 09:38 AM

I have two pairs of boots, both fairly "inexpensive".

One pair is a half boot from Cycle Gear, comfort is okay, but they're easy on, easy off due to the dual zippers on the front. I love that easy access. I think they need sole inserts to be more comfortable, but other than that, they're great. I can wear them at work all day and be fine in them (office job). I would recommend this boot to anyone looking for a daily boot that doesn't stand out.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...UL._SY300_.jpg

The others are ricky racer boots i picked up on sale at CG, and they too have the "ski boot" stance. Not bad, but noticeable. When I wear them with leathers, the leathers go inside the boot. When I wear them with jeans, I wear the jeans over the boot, and it helps tame down the boy racer look. I don't think I'd want to walk far in these boots, but I've only worn them a few times.
It's either these, or something very close to these. The were on sale for around $40, so I jumped on it.
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...hments/374707/

E.Marquez 10-11-2013 09:47 AM

Alpinestars S-MX 5 Boot is what we wear (wife and I)

Across town or muilty day rides with lots of stops .. Walking in them is ok unless really hot, and still ok, just HOTTER then wearing vented shoes.

Going on 3 years of use and many miles,, on the bike and walking...

KCCO 10-11-2013 11:01 AM

I ride on the Dainese Torque RS Out Boots, I love how easy they are to get on. One zipper on the back (that does not get uncomfortable) makes getting boot on easier than my daily work boots. The twist resistance is great and the ability to adjust the shin sife to over the suit, or under jeans makes then very versatile. The inner boot, with a lace system, helps to keep the foot planted and keeps the heal from coming out of the cup when in a tuck. Just my .02

xeris 10-11-2013 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by KCCO (Post 363807)
I ride on the Dainese Torque RS Out Boots, I love how easy they are to get on. One zipper on the back (that does not get uncomfortable) makes getting boot on easier than my daily work boots. The twist resistance is great and the ability to adjust the shin sife to over the suit, or under jeans makes then very versatile. The inner boot, with a lace system, helps to keep the foot planted and keeps the heal from coming out of the cup when in a tuck. Just my .02

The Torque out boot was one I had considered early on. I really like the idea of the rear zipper. Easy on and off.
I was concerned that the width would be an issue as many of the reviews I read made mention of Dainese boots running on the narrow side.
I would like to be able to try on a lot of different boots, but alas, I live in the hinter lands with very limited selection.
How would you judge the width sizing on this boot?

oahu hawk 10-11-2013 01:25 PM

I'm on my third or fourth pair of the TCXs, the only boot that I can find that fits my bread loaf shaped foot...

Aquasnake 10-11-2013 06:42 PM

:( Just sent back a pair of TCX S-Sportour. They weren't wide enough for my 4E "Hobbit" feet. Anyone know of brands that run in my width range?

captainchaos 10-11-2013 08:37 PM

Without reading further I was already pretty sure you'd be happy with anything Alpinestars. Most impressive over the years for me has been their STELLAR customer service. I've had a pair of their boots for probably 10 years and have actually sent them back twice for minor stuff like a seam coming loose. Both times Brett sent them back FREE looking brand new. No questions asked. New sliders even which I didn't even ask for!!! Definitely made me a return/repeat customer-jacket, gloves, etc...

And for those on a budget (like me) if you know your sizes you can get some pretty screaming deals on lightly used name brand stuff off ebay and craigslist. Lots of people wear something once or twice and it sits in the closet until they sell it.

xeris 10-11-2013 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Aquasnake (Post 363825)
:( Just sent back a pair of TCX S-Sportour. They weren't wide enough for my 4E "Hobbit" feet. Anyone know of brands that run in my width range?

You may be in for a long search. All the reviews I have read have the TCX line of boots as the best for wide, high volume feet.
Try here http://www.vitessemoto.com/boots/glove.php They will semi custom make a boot for you.

98VTRrider 10-11-2013 10:27 PM

I have a pair of A-star SMX Plus boots, aka the squeekers, for racing and street riding when I wear my suit. They are very comfortable riding and walking, but don't blend in well for when not riding.

I have some hiking boots I wear when I'm street riding my XT, but they're getting ragged and I'm going to start looking for a replacement street riding boot soon.