SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece suits (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/aerostich-roadcrafter-one-piece-suits-9404/)

Kendrick 08-24-2006 07:25 PM

Aerostich Roadcrafter one-piece suits

I was just wondering if any of you have had any experience with these suits. They're a bit pricey, but my job is keeping me from riding as much as I would like. I always take the bike for casual Friday, but the rest of the week I need to be well dressed (engineer). I want something to zip over the dress clothes and I can improve fuel costs and enjoyment factor. If anyone knows anything let me know.

Thanks,

Kendrick

996 08-24-2006 08:21 PM

I'm an engineer too (plastics engineering). I just wear my joe rocket jacket (highway commute to work) with my normal dress pants and drive on the careful side. Sorry I don't have experience with those suits though. . .

VTRRR 08-24-2006 09:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Love it! Got a two piece used about 3 years ago. I have added the bib conversion, back protector, and hip pads. I have worn it in 100+ degree heat, rain, and about 35 or so degree weather. See pictures.

For those of you from S.CA, the second photo is off of the Ortega Highway overlooking Lake Elsinore.

marmaladedad 08-24-2006 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by VTRRR
Love it! Got a two piece used about 3 years ago. I have added the bib conversion, back protector, and hip pads. I have worn it in 100+ degree heat, rain, and about 35 or so degree weather. See pictures.

For those of you from S.CA, the second photo is off of the Ortega Highway overlooking Lake Elsinore.

No gloves! Squid!! ;)

I used to go down to Ortega on a weekly basis. I skip it now because of the number of cops and road-ragin'-cagers. Damn shame for such a nice road to be spoiled.

Scumbag 08-24-2006 10:38 PM

dont know about the suits.....but ortega rules...haha

VTRRR 09-01-2006 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=marmaladeboy]No gloves! Squid!! ;)QUOTE]

Had to set the camera up on my custom tripod...a rock.

kai ju 09-01-2006 04:47 PM

I have a Racecrafter Onepiece.
Probably the best piece of riding gear I've owned in 35 years of riding.
I ride year round, every day, rain or shine, which in Southern California means 30's to 100's.
I've crashed in it and walked away, after I woke up from being knocked out.
I'm getting ready to send it out to be repaired and I'm actually afraid to be without it while it's gone.
Recommend it without any hesitation.
Best money you will ever spend.
Kai Ju

kevink2 09-02-2006 10:30 PM

Yes they are custom fit as well. Well worth the dough, plenty of vents. I had to get the forward leaning option for riding the Superhawk. Expect up to a couple of months to get one built for you (You'll have to test fit a trial model first and then send it back).

Kendrick 09-17-2007 05:26 PM

Well here I am over a year later. I finally ordered the thing today. Just got their trial model to try on. I ordered the rotated sleeves and stretch panel, black with hi viz balistics. I'm still cringing from the price. I hope I don't regret this. Anyway too late now, no returns on customs. I'll let everyone know.

Kendrick

skokievtr 09-17-2007 05:55 PM

12 years later

Originally Posted by Kendrick (Post 130149)
Well here I am over a year later. I finally ordered the thing today. Just got their trial model to try on. I ordered the rotated sleeves and stretch panel, black with hi viz balistics. I'm still cringing from the price. I hope I don't regret this. Anyway too late now, no returns on customs. I'll let everyone know.

Kendrick

My 2-pc still looks good but I machine wash it & treat it with DWR in & after the wash. Kind of hot above 85 F. I later got the underarm V & a vent zipper fixed (under warranty). The "elipse" zips in for foreward lean, plus hip pads, back protector, sleeve & leg cases & bib zip-in (which I never use).

I still prefer a 2-pcperferated leather or solid suit (or mesh suit for really hot days) but for commuting in "whites" & touring, its the best (though there are less $$ alternatives).

Engineers make it stiffer but flexible...

RPV-Hawk 09-18-2007 08:30 PM

I've had a roadcrafter 1 peice for about 7 years now. I can get in/out of it in about 15 seconds. I had the back extended 3" and the sleeves lengthened. I've got the optional back and hip pads. I wear it in 115 Degree heat and 30 degree cold. I simply cannot reccomend it enough as "commuter" wear. Under about 45 degree's, you'll probably want to add another layer under the stich...but other than that...it works great.

VTR69 09-18-2007 09:01 PM

Love my "Stich" one piece. Sold my first one with 20,000 miles on it for only 100 bucks less than I paid for it in order to get one sized more perfectly. NSD !

Kendrick 09-19-2007 05:39 AM

;) The NSD took me a second! Bear with me, I don't even have my suit yet.

Kendrick 10-23-2007 05:37 AM

Well I got the suit saturday morning. Man these things are stiff. When I first put it on and went to swing my leg over the bike it didn't make it. It take a rather deliberate effort to get my leg over the bike and to get me feet up on the pegs. I'd heard break in can be a long process with these things. That being said I just made the 25 mile ride to work at 42 degrees wearing a dress shirt and jeans. It wasn't bad. The only thing starting to numb were my fingertips. Now if I could get this thing broken in faster.

Otherwise quality appears to be excellent. I had them add in a back protector and hip pads, so I think I'm pretty well protected. The fit is what I had hoped for, and customer service is excellent.

marmaladedad 10-23-2007 11:05 AM

Have you tried sleeping in your suit? That helped to break mine (not 'stich) in faster.

RPV-Hawk 10-23-2007 11:37 AM

put the stitch in the dryer (minus pads) with a pair of CLEAN hiking boots. Set it for "no heat". let it tumble for 30-60 min. That should soften it up. Add dirty hiking boots if you want to 'age' your suit....but your wife/gf may kill you when she finds the drier full of dirt!

Kendrick 10-23-2007 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by marmaladedad (Post 134125)
Have you tried sleeping in your suit? That helped to break mine (not 'stich) in faster.

That might be an idea. I thought about taking it camping. One of the people at Aerostich suggested using it for snowmobiling too.

davidw7638 05-07-2008 01:26 PM

I have owned a Aerostich one-piece suit for years. I swear by it. It is easy to take on and off, even when you have a dress shirt and slacks on. It comes with elbow and knee pads and I put a spine protector in as well. The collar buttons up nicely and does not leak air at high speeds. It is also good in rain. When it is raining hard and you are riding for hours it does start to leak a little in the crotch area.