SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   RANT! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/rant-41/)
-   -   Spoiled brat... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/rant-41/spoiled-brat-30768/)

supermarto 07-14-2013 07:55 AM

Spoiled brat...

Spoiled rich 22 year old kid I work with, who still lives with his parents: "Hey Marty, you're into bikes, right?"

Me: "Well, yeah, you could say that."

Him: "Well which would you own if you could, a Ducati 748 Evo or Triumph 675 Daytona?"

Me: "Well, that's a tough one. Is this hypothetical?"

Him: "No, I'm probably gonna buy one or the other."

Me: "Oh, what do you ride now? I didn't even know you had a bike... Didn't you just crash your Honda S-2000 while you were trying to drift like autocross on the street after only owning it for a month and a half?"

Him: "Yeah... I don't own a bike right now. I just finished the MSF course and got my license."

Me: "Oh, hey man, I don't think you should do that... If I were you I wouldn't buy a brand new bike at all, I'd get a used Ninja 250 or GS 500 first and ride that for a while..."

Him: Blank stare.

Me: "Look man, I don't know if I'd ever even buy myself a brand new bike as much as I'd love to be the one who breaks it in and everything. I mean, I'm still riding the same $4000 bike I bought in 2007, and I have no intentions of getting rid of it any time soon, and I started off riding enduros and dual sports before I bought my street bike. l'd buy-"

Him: "I'm buying the triumph... The dealer threw in a helmet and it comes with a full FMF exhaust. I love the Brembo brakes and the suspension is nice."

Me: "Yeah, I'm familiar with the bike, but-"

Him: "Well, I'm buying it... I'll let you ride it when I get it, man, thanks for the advice!"

Next week...

Him: "Hey, I got my bike! I need to lower it though, I can't put my feet down at lights. The dealer can get me a lowering link."

Me: "Hmmm, what about a lower seat? Does Triumph offer one?"

Him: "I'm getting the lowering link, and they're gonna drop the forks for me."

Me: "Okay man, but, Triumph R&D spent a lot of time and money dialing that geometry in and I'd really look into other options before-"

Him: "Yeah... Well thanks!"

Two days later...

<Ringing phone> Me: "Hello?"

Him: "Marty, this is Sim. I'm calling out, I hurt my back falling off my bike..."

Me: "Oh wow, you fell off?"

Him: "Well, I stalled it three times in an intersection, so I gave it too much gas and when I let the clutch out the bike flipped over backwards on top of me."

Me: "Holy shit man, did the bike get hurt?"

Him: "Yeah... I told my insurance company that if it can't be fixed that I just want them to pay it off and hopefully have a little bit extra, and I'm gonna buy a 250..."

nnjhawk02 07-14-2013 08:18 AM

LMAO

Fcuking Noob idiot

U can lead a horse to water....

I'm so glad I'm broke - but if I was rich, I would never give my kids anything they wanted. Kids need to learn a work ethic

KCCO 07-14-2013 08:22 AM

I'm a kid and I would never want to buy a new bike, the value is just not there. Half the fun is making whatever you get yours by cranking on it and putting the labor in to learn the bike, car, what have you. Plus second hand bikes can have the possibility of aftermarket for cheap.

supermarto 07-14-2013 08:54 AM

My damn phone! I wanted this under "Rant," admins... Definitely not group rides.

VTR1000F 07-14-2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by KCCO (Post 358888)
I'm a kid...

Yeah, you may be a kid, KCCO, but I've dealt with you and I never suspected you were your age until I realized you were just about to enter the military. I don't think you're an average kid. Best of luck during your time in service.

HRCA#1 07-14-2013 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 358890)
Yeah, you may be a kid, KCCO, but I've dealt with you and I never suspected you were your age until I realized you were just about to enter the military. I don't think you're an average kid. Best of luck during your time in service.

+1 KCCO, good luck!

xeris 07-14-2013 09:49 AM

A quite wealthy man that I did work for some years back said this while lamenting how poorly all but one of his children turned out, "the only thing that I couldn't give my children was poverty".

rz_racer_69 07-14-2013 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by supermarto (Post 358889)
My damn phone! I wanted this under "Rant," admins... Definitely not group rides.

Lol! I was wondering.

rz_racer_69 07-14-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by HRCA#1 (Post 358891)
+1 KCCO, good luck!

+1 more! Good luck KCCO. Didn't see the post, but I'm sure you've got quite an experience ahead of you. Try to enjoy as much of it as you can, even the misery that may come during training and subsequent deployment. If things get too intense, remember, it will pass, and you will be home again soon, riding your bikes some day.

Wolverine 07-16-2013 05:46 PM

Great story!! Whatta douche!

matt365 07-16-2013 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 358892)
A quite wealthy man that I did work for some years back said this while lamenting how poorly all but one of his children turned out, "the only thing that I couldn't give my children was poverty".

That's a great quote.

Thanks for that, and it's totally true.

You need to be at the bottom to realize the value of a dollar, and to see how bad it could be compared to what we have.

bpw 09-21-2013 08:43 PM

Uh Im at the bottom, it sucks.... Not really Im gonna go wrench on my ol hawk. One day Ill get to ride the damn thing lol. And ride it I will!

On a thread related note, I have two stories that are pretty much the same thing. I advised got ignored, both got 1000cc bikes 1 a Tlr one a gsxr (its all about looking cool to these guys not what feels/rides best) both bikes were totaled, the Tlr in under 24hrs if I remember right. We all gotta learn but if youre too wrapped up in "looking the part" youre gonna end up a skid mark. Glad the boy isnt dead or really messed up.

RoadManiac 10-07-2013 09:29 AM

Loving these stories both from bpw and supermarto

i am 23 and the hawk is my first bike, and this is exactly how people like me can afford nice bikes.... when rich people crash them and sell them to me or dealers like me,
same happened to my hawk by the P.O was 19 years and first of all he needs to be on a lighter bike with less CC and secondly he blasted it on a round about with new tires on the white surface,
you can guess the rest
then i bought it and fixed it and ride it with the respect a 1000cc twin deserves, and not to be cool at all because it still doesnt look perfect (in my mind)

ahernandez74 11-15-2013 10:19 AM

Wow. Nice. I hate kids like that who are entitled and really get everything handed to them. It just drives me nuts.

Meanwhile, I'm working my ass off for everything that I own.. Yeah theres a little bit of jelaousy. Hopefully it'll all work out for me though :p

SpeedieGTI 11-15-2013 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by bpw (Post 362749)
Uh Im at the bottom, it sucks.... Not really Im gonna go wrench on my ol hawk. One day Ill get to ride the damn thing lol. And ride it I will!

On a thread related note, I have two stories that are pretty much the same thing. I advised got ignored, both got 1000cc bikes 1 a Tlr one a gsxr (its all about looking cool to these guys not what feels/rides best) both bikes were totaled, the Tlr in under 24hrs if I remember right. We all gotta learn but if youre too wrapped up in "looking the part" youre gonna end up a skid mark. Glad the boy isnt dead or really messed up.

This! If someone goes straight for a big boy bike they either better have dirtbike experience or are old enough to understand their own mortality...I think that varies with most guys. For me I waited until 34 to get a liter bike.

firedog55 11-15-2013 07:12 PM

I've got a tragic story along the same lines as the OP. Back in the mid 80's I was a Fireman in L.A.

One morning I got to work and parked in the back of the firehouse was a shiney new Suzuki 1100. I asked one of the off going guys who bought the new bike, and was told " The "B" shift rookie".

While I was admiring the bike the Rookie came over. I asked him a few questions about his experience on bikes, and why he bought such a high performance motorcycle. The answers were disturbing at best. He had almost no experience, and the credit union gave him his first real loan.

He wasn't the "sharpest knife in the drawer" if you know what I mean. I commented to one of the guys on his shift that it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Less than a month later when he didn't show up for work in the morning LAPD called and told us he was seriously injured on the Suzuki. The previous evening while entering the Santa Monica Fwy. he lost control at high speed and hit the guard rail. Single vehicle accident. The girl on the rear lost a leg, and he was paralized from the waist down. A real tragedy.

There's not much that I agree with the Europeans on, but their motorcycle license requirements make sense to me.