SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   RANT! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/rant-41/)
-   -   Managment (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/rant-41/managment-35211/)

ACE VenTRa 12-13-2018 04:16 AM

Managment

I work(ed) in a place with a revolving door. Not too long ago our plant manager quit suddenly, though all of us below could see it coming. Then, months later, my manager was brought in on his vacation at 5:00 by the new plant manager and fired. No notice given. Months later I'm asked to interview my new manager, seems odd but sure; why not? I recommend against hiring him as my first impression is that of a used car salesman down on his luck. Plus he smokes and tries to cover it with cologne (nasty). I remain steadfast despite the new plant managers urgings to "find someone." They hire him, sigh. So I start putting out my resume to hedge my situation. Turns out, and the point of this post, is that he is not only a sleaze, but he demands that people respect him though he has done nothing to earn it. Respect is something you earn over time, it must be cultivated. It is possible that you are surrounded by jerks that are incapable of offering mutual respect, but it is more likely that if you find yourself demanding respect, you neither deserve it nor give it, and all that you will receive or offer are mere platitudes that resemble respect but pale by comparison. If you are one of those people, please check yourself, you may be the problem to begin with.

Thank you

AV

captainchaos 12-13-2018 02:14 PM

When I was in the fire service there were two kinds of officers, and it was the same with management when I worked for a large bank where about 500-600 people worked in this particular building. First, you have the guy you speak of, who once or twice a year would "demand" respect by randomly making a scene chewing someone (or several people) out, preferably loudly and in front of plenty of other people. They're usually out of shape, lazy, don't train enough with their people, not very good at their job to begin with and often aren't your first choice under pressure either. Then you have the ex-marine or the triathlete or whatever. They're often softly spoken (though you know if need be they could rip someone's head off even though you've never seen them actually do it) because every listens to them when they speak. They won't ask you to do something they won't do themselves and when they give a group a task they'll lead the way. They'll inspire you, teach you, lead by example, and if you're having an issue and you're not a shitbag and they know you're making an effort, they'll take you aside and get you squared away. They'll also show you respect. The former are usually miserable, they often drink too much, and everyone who works for them usually has come up with some colorful nicknames for them and often talks shit behind their backs. The latter is the one I'll walk through a wall for and they're the ones you'll look up to and proudly tell stores about for the rest of your life. Agreed. Everyone should strive to be the latter.

ACE VenTRa 12-25-2018 05:00 AM

Ditto, agreed.

finepooch 12-25-2018 09:45 AM

usually people leave positions because of managers or coworkers. people are fascinating creatures, some in a good way, some in a bad way.