SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   RANT! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/rant-41/)
-   -   Gas up 22 cents/gallon in 2 days! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/rant-41/gas-up-22-cents-gallon-2-days-28269/)

VTRsurfer 05-12-2012 10:47 PM

Gas up 22 cents/gallon in 2 days!

It must be Summer already. Since I last filled up on Thursday, 2 days ago, gas at my local Chevron station has gone up 22 cents per gallon, to $4.49. That's a 26 cent increase since last Sunday!

So I'm getting prepared to bend over each time I fill up for the next several months.

Murv 05-12-2012 10:56 PM

Probably going to get worse too.

Just done the calculation on the equivalent price here in the UK and it's $8.40/US gallon.

Enjoy it while you can...

General Maximus 05-12-2012 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Murv (Post 332275)
Probably going to get worse too.

Just done the calculation on the equivalent price here in the UK and it's $8.40/US gallon.

Enjoy it while you can...

how can any of you afford to drive anywhere??

RWhisen 05-13-2012 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 332274)
So I'm getting prepared to bend over each time I fill up for the next several months.

Thanks Obama for shutting down the Keystone pipeline project! We'll all be crying about the mileage our Hawks get before this is over....

Murv 05-14-2012 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 332277)
how can any of you afford to drive anywhere??

Some can't!

Over here, big thirsty cars are rare, small hatchbacks that do 60mpg+ are popular.
It's one of the reasons VTR1000's can be picked up so cheap, due to the running costs.
Motoring is very much in decline in the UK, shame that public transport isn't filling the gaps

CrankenFine 05-14-2012 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Murv (Post 332333)
Motoring is very much in decline in the UK, shame that public transport isn't filling the gaps

So- walking is on the increase? Hey, it sounds like a healthy lifestyle trend!

Soon it will be all the rage here too.:rolleyes:

Murv 05-14-2012 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 332335)
So- walking is on the increase? Hey, it sounds like a healthy lifestyle trend!

Soon it will be all the rage here too.:rolleyes:

:D

It does have it's benefits (but you daredn't say that out loud,) the cycle trade is doing well out of it too.
Problem is, even at the price of it here, people are still very car dependent. We have a few people here in the village for example that drive round to the school, even though it's literally a few hundred yards away.
I cycle to work quite regularly, mainly for the health benefits and it's a 33 mile round trip. Every time I do it, I ride past people stuck in local traffic that are commuting by car just a fraction of the mileage that I'm cycling, it's utter madness.

Laziness is still very much the fashion here despite the fuel costs. People just get used to the high prices and adjust accordingly, using the car less doesn't really get factored in.To be fair though, public transport here is utter crap, unless you're in a major town so it can be difficult.