RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Fuel tank mounting bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
Fuel tank mounting bolts

**** you bolts! **** you threads!

After having been removed many many many many many many times since 1998, the threads on the frame for the two bolts that lock down the fuel tank are finally f#$ked. One of the bolts will only come out 50% the other will only go in 50%!

Time to drop ~$150 to have the threads on the frame drilled out. The shop will put in a special "sleeve" that will expand and is already threaded.

I've only ever "hand" threaded and that was a pain in the ***. I would do this myself if it were not the freaking fawkin FRAME of the bika GARgagragrgargawgrgawrgawrg

However it was to be expected after the thousands of times the bolts have been removed. BUT I AM STILL RAGING GARGARGAGRGARG I want to take a air ratchet and remove the bolts just so I can throw them through a window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...but then again the bike is almost running 100% perfectly and if I rage remove the bolts...i wont be able to ride it until it's fixed.....

Grrrr...........:mad :
Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
... $150.. HOWMUCH? Do they at least buy you dinner after ******* you like that????

It's a very simple job....

Can be done using a thread repair coil or thread insert. For this task, i would use an insert,, brand name Timesert

Watch the company FAQ video.
http://www.timesert.com/html/faq.html
It really is not hard to do if you can drill a hole and run a tap
TIME-SERT M6 X 1.00 Metric Thread Repair Kit 1610 : Amazon.com : Automotive TIME-SERT M6 X 1.00 Metric Thread Repair Kit 1610 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-01-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
... $150.. HOWMUCH? Do they at least buy you dinner after ******* you like that????

It's a very simple job....

Can be done using a thread repair coil or thread insert. For this task, i would use an insert,, brand name Timesert

Watch the company FAQ video.
++ TIME-SERT Frequently Asked Questions ++ Time-Sert thread repair questions and answers for
It really is not hard to do if you can drill a hole and run a tap
TIME-SERT M6 X 1.00 Metric Thread Repair Kit 1610 : Amazon.com : Automotive
I'm with Eric on this one... $150?! That's atleast two hours of work they are quoting you... I could have it over and done with in half an hour...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Have you tried, before splashing out $150 , having a go at restoring the damaged thread with a tap set...

Then best get two new 8mm bolts & a family size tub of coppergrease.

How to Use a Tap: 9 Steps - wikiHow

Last edited by Wicky; 05-02-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:19 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

The tank bolts are M6 x1.0 fasteners, 30mm long with a captive washer and a reduced hex head for better install clearance. Not 8mm fasteners......

As the threads are in Aluminum, and there is likely some galling already.. repairing the threads is the right plan.. but not with a thread cutting tap.

Installing a steel set of threads via a repair coil or insert is the best plan.

Trying a thread chase

(which looks kind of like a tap, but is designed to straighten and form, nor cut like a tap) is worth a try.. but in Aluminum after cross threading or having galling like what seems to have happened.. the thread material is going to be pretty badly damaged.

Using a Thread cutting tool (tap or die) is never the better tool to restore damaged threads.. The tap will undercut already threaded material further weakening the clamped joint. Yes, it will appear to have helped as a threaded fastener will now thread in the "repaired" hole.. but it is a false repair and a bandaid fix at best.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-02-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Surely don't blow $150 at a shop for this fix....a set of helicoils might cost $20
Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
Surely don't blow $150 at a shop for this fix....a set of helicoils might cost $20
Well $26 not including the drill bit needed.
Helicoil 5546-6 M6 x 1 Metric Coarse Thread Repair Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

But yes though not as good in this application as a thread insert (which is $60). A thread coil installed would be better than cutting new threads from the damaged ones there now.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Back Marker

They are installing the "helicoil" thread insert. I'm basically paying for labor ~$75 an hour at an estimated 2 hours work given the possibility of complications.

I am hopeful it will only take an hour or less. But the hourly rate is set and thus 30 minutes = hour 10 minutes = hour.

I went home and muscled both out with a ratchet (The aluminum from the frame had ground itself into the steel threading of the (now destroyed) bolts) Installed two new (m6 1.0x) and they locked down **Huzzah**. It will work for now but I certainly need a "helicoil" insert as I enjoy pulling the carbs on a weekly basis (insert sarcasm)!!

Bay Area California....Nothing is cheap here guys.

Woot Woot 100th Post

(Those little "bs" emoticons are so CooOOool!!)

**E.Marquez I am totally cool with installing MCCT and everything else...for some reason I am absolutely HORRIBLE at threading and tapping. (woman excluded I can tap that all day) (no offense ladies) So I'll just bend over and take it....this time. I've done everything on this bike myself so far, but I know when I've reached my *weakness.* Threading is my Kryptonite....and I want this frame to remain beautiful if there is ever a new owner. <fingers crossed>

**Ohh I'm a back marker now.....how fitting, no honestly I am a slow as rider (I haven't even gone over 100mph yet)

Last edited by WhOrD; 05-02-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

WhOrD; hate to see you pay for this job... but do what ya got to do .

I grew up in the bay area.. 19 years in Walnut creek.. was just back there last month.. So ya I know what local costs are.. and still.... it's a 30 minute job unless the bolts snap off in the frame,, then i can see 1hr or more.

If you have removed the bolts already... It is literally a 10 min job to install thread repair coils (the less better method) and 30 min job to install a thread insert (timesert, the better option for this repair.. and it only takes longer due to one extra step countersinking the hole.)

and the parts cost if they are doing Helicoil is $.59 per insert.... $26 retail for an entire kit with 6 inserts, the tap and install tool (plus $4.00 for the proper size bit from a local hardware store)

Oh, and what's the shop name your having this done at?

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-02-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Back Marker

WhOrD; hate to see you pay for this job... but do what ya got to do .

I grew up in the bay area.. 19 years in Walnut creek.. was just back there last month.. So ya I know what local costs are.. and still.... it's a 30 minute job unless the bolts snap off in the frame,, then i can see 1hr or more.

If you have removed the bolts already... It is literally a 10 min job to install thread repair coils (the less better method) and 30 min job to install a thread insert (timesert, the better option for this repair.. and it only takes longer due to one extra step countersinking the hole.
I am at work..yeah yeah they are paying me GREAT money to ..ummm..haha look what I'm watching...

What a redneck...well skilled redneck.....
Old 05-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Here is the thing with this repair.. and Im not saying i approve of half *** work.. but in this application....... even if you drill the new hole off angle, and tap the new threads off angle,.. it won't matter... you're not clamping two flat surfaces together,, it's a steel bushing in a rubber isolator.

Lots of room for misalignment and still have it work.

If you can remove your tank to clear the area. Have a drill motor, can buy a drillbit of the proper size and the M6 helicoil kit. Im confident I could talk you through the procedure over the phone, facetime, google meetup, skype, ect...

The offer is there.................
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Back Marker

Here is the thing with this repair.. and Im not saying i approve of half *** work.. but in this application....... even if you drill the new hole off angle, and tap the new threads off angle,.. it won't matter... you're not clamping two flat surfaces together,, it's a steel bushing in a rubber isolator.

Lots of room for misalignment and still have it work.

If you can remove your tank to clear the area. Have a drill motor, can buy a drillbit of the proper size and the M6 helicoil kit. Im confident I could talk you through the procedure over the phone, facetime, google meetup, skype, ect...

The offer is there.................
...Ohhhhh...Ohhh.....My father always tells me do the things you least want to do, as they will make you a better man than doing the things which naturally come easy...

HmmmmMMmmm.......Fine...I'll procure a helicoil repair kit. *My father is a contractor* and oldschool ASE certified mechanic (I have more tools available than I know what to do with) a 22 caliber concrete nail gun......wtf...... I'll see what I can do before dropping the money.

I'll PM you my contact info if you could do the same we can communicate should I run into any trouble.

Last edited by WhOrD; 05-02-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by WhOrD
...Ohhhhh...Ohhh.....My father always tells me do the things you least want to do, as they will make you a better man than doing the things which naturally come easy...

HmmmmMMmmm.......Fine...I'll procure a helicoil repair kit. *My father is a contractor* and oldschool ASE certified mechanic. I'll see what I can do before dropping the money.
**** YA..... SCORE.

You're going to feel stoked when you make this work. It's so easy a .......................Harley Rider could do it (after several beers, trailing his bike to a ride meet up, meeting a Sport bike rider at the Dyno and asking him to help with the job)
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Send me a PM and I can possible set you up with some help as I do have contacts in the Bay Area still
Old 05-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Back Marker

If I can procure a heli-coil install kit. I will attempt the install with the help of everyone here. Otherwise I will have the tech who will be DYNO'ing the bike next week also install the Heli-Coil at a cash price.

Some jobs I just have 0% or near 0% interest in. This is one of those jobs.