SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Racing (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/)
-   -   TT RACING IN THE USA? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/tt-racing-usa-25098/)

mortbike 04-02-2011 03:47 PM

TT RACING IN THE USA?

Read this on another forum-it would be great!

TT racing could be heading to a series of new road circuits around the globe under plans for a new TT World Series for the 2013/14 season.
The Isle of Man Government is planning for the U.S. to hold the opening round, followed by the far east and Asia with the series finishing at the TT in June 2014.

Isle of Man Economic Development Minister Allan Bell said "We want to develop and grow this global audience for the benefit both of the event and the Isle of Man"

MCN understands that there will be a six round series that will predominantly feature all new venues and that 15-20 regular riders will form the core entry with the remainder of the grid formed by local riders.

Mort

VTRsurfer 04-02-2011 03:55 PM

It'll never happen in the USA. Too many lawyers here.

nothing 04-02-2011 05:33 PM

^i disagree and think that would be great. I would own with my hawk ;/

VTRsurfer 04-02-2011 06:08 PM

I attended the last 3 Elsinore Grand Prix's in the early '70s as a spectator. That was dirt bikes of course, but sitting on the curb watching guys speed through the town of Elsinore while pulling a block long wheelie or powersliding around a corner from 6 feet away was great. The dirt bike club that started it was sued by a spectator that stepped out in front of a bike to take a picture. He got hit by the handlebar and caused 2 riders to go down. That was the end of their involvement. The city of Elsinore put it on for the final year in 1973, then they bailed after complaints from residents. I did a slide show for my college photography class of that last race, which had a huge crowd. There were people sitting/standing everywhere, including on top of houses, business, street signs and in trees.

From what I've heard, in England product liability lawsuits are not allowed. People are expected to be responsible for themselves. Unfortunately, that's not the case in the USA, where you can win millions from McDonalds for spilling hot coffee in your lap while you're driving.

If the Isle of Man TT was held here, there'd be lawyers standing in line to file lawsuits for everything you could imagine, not to mention when a rider crashes into a stone wall and dies.

Hell, in Germany you can do a lap of the Nurburgring in your own car for about $20 US. Just don't expect your survivors to sue if you crash and die, which happens there.

Wicky 04-03-2011 02:01 AM

From what I've heard, in England product liability lawsuits are not allowed.
Not quite , the Isle of Man has its own parliament (The Tynwald - oldest continuous parliamentary body in the world) and laws, so it is in a sense separate from England. Public roads are closed for racing by the provisions of an Act of Tynwald.

Wikepedia

is a self-governing British Crown Dependency, located in the Irish Sea between the islands of Great Britain and Ireland, within the British Isles. The head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, who holds the title of Lord of Mann. The Lord of Mann is represented by a Lieutenant Governor. The island is not part of the United Kingdom, but its foreign relations and defence are the responsibility of the UK Government. Although it does not usually interfere in the island's domestic matters, its "good government" is ultimately the responsibility of the Crown (i.e., in practice, the Government of the United Kingdom).

In the Uk we have Consumer laws, Trading Standards Institute - Trading Standards work with consumers and businesses to maintain fair trading and safety of consumer goods. And the Compensation Culture is a thriving industry for law firms...

http://www.compensationculture.co.uk...aims-work.html

klx678 04-03-2011 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 297684)
It'll never happen in the USA. Too many lawyers here.

Agreed, long shot possibility. That is most likely why U.S. automobile rally races are so low keyed. I know there's a series, but I have NEVER seen a schedule... now I'm going to go look for one. Finally found the schedule, one in PA, a couple hundred miles away.

I figure if they can't make Supermoto fly in the U.S. TTs aren't going to gain much headway. Anyone who's seen Supermoto or Supermotard will attest to the fact that it is about as incredible racing as can be seen. It also can be set up at about any paved auto track or big parking lot. I saw a regional NASMoto event in Cleveland at a parking lot opposite Burk Lakefront Airport and the one the AMA did in October of 2003 in a parking lot/construction site in downtown Columbus - absolutely cool.

TT would be great, but a long shot due to safety and the stick/ball sport attitude of the general public. As much as I'd like to see it, it's going to be hard to get sponsored and funded.

nothing 04-03-2011 04:13 PM

I guess I'm just not one of those stupid Americans who would do something like that to ruin it for others. hmph...

NooB 04-03-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by klx678 (Post 297717)
Anyone who's seen Supermoto or Supermotard will attest to the fact that it is about as incredible racing as can be seen.

Hells yeah it is. I was so disappointed when Speed stopped showing it. A lot of people who watch or know anything about supersport/superbike racing don't know anything about the Isle of Mann TT, much less the absolutely incredible Irish road racing, so I don't see TT racing catching on here.

JPP 04-03-2011 06:57 PM

Catalina brought back the dirt racing this year so they must have gotten around the lawyers some how. Then again, the racing was outside of town and not through it.

Old Yeller 04-04-2011 07:26 AM

Pipe dream. but i'd love to see it here. Darn lawyers. :(