SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Racing (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/)
-   -   Spies Quits Yamaha (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/spies-quits-yamaha-28846/)

HRCA#1 07-24-2012 08:46 AM

Spies Quits Yamaha

Superbike Planet has just announced that Ben Spies is leaving Yamaha at the end of the season, Yamaha has yet to say anything but expect more at Laguna this weekend.

My thoughts are that he got tired of MotoGP politics and people openly campaigning for his ride and no action from Yamaha other than Lin Jarvis saying he didn't meet expectations in 2011!

I hope he goes back to WSBK, not AMA/DMG supersport. He may however go in a completely different direction...we'll see.

comedo 07-24-2012 11:45 AM

Spies is a brilliant rider who has had an absolutely awful season. Tire failure, illness and a visor that wouldn't keep out the rain were problems beyond his control. He was strong enough to beat Mladin when Mladin was unbeatable and he won the World Superbike Championship on tracks that he had never ridden before. He's tough and smart and he'll win again.

8541Hawk 07-24-2012 05:33 PM

Man leave for the weekend and all hell breaks loose..... Damn kids.....:rotf::rotf:

Though it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

captainchaos 07-24-2012 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 338598)
Though it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Definitely. Can't wait to see where he goes. Really hope he gets the good fortune, good equipment and stays healthy and gets to continue to show his immense talent

smokinjoe73 07-24-2012 06:20 PM

This is one more huge strike for motogp. What a crapshack. Spies and stoner gone. Wouldnt surprise me if Edwards bolted too. They dont want big name cuz they think they can make their own big names.

I dont care at all which little 125cc guy wins. They should all go to WSBK.

HRCA#1 07-24-2012 06:42 PM

SmokinJoe, They don't have 125 anymore. It's now a 250 4stroke class and it's just like the old 125 class, there are 4 to 6 or mor guys battling at the front.

Moto2 is the same way and their more aggressive banging each other, and that's where the new crop of Aliens will come from.

Regarding Spie, I would not be surprized if Suzuki makes an announcement at Indianpolis and gets back in the game in 2013 with Ben Spies, they already have a new bike!

smokinjoe73 07-24-2012 08:39 PM

Every one of the guys in moto 2 & 3 are 125cc guys.

Tebs 07-25-2012 06:31 AM

Yeah I like the Suzuki rumor - at this point why would Ben leave a sweet factory Yamaha ride if he didnt have something equal (or potentially better) to what he has now. Now the second question is, assuming he IS going to Suzuki, who will be his teammate?? Gotta love Silly Season!!

smokinjoe73 07-25-2012 06:48 AM

Suzuki? In motogp?

HRCA#1 07-25-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tebs (Post 338643)
Yeah I like the Suzuki rumor - at this point why would Ben leave a sweet factory Yamaha ride if he didnt have something equal (or potentially better) to what he has now. Now the second question is, assuming he IS going to Suzuki, who will be his teammate?? Gotta love Silly Season!!

If it happens at all I look for a 1 rider team at least for the first year. Ben becomes the "Guy" for Suzuki vs second fiddle at Yamaha. He has a long history with Suzuki as does Tom Houseworth.

There is also a rumor he may take a year off, big mistake if he ever wants to win a championship.

HRCA#1 07-25-2012 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 338646)
Suzuki? In motogp?

Yes Suzuki. They are already set to come back in 2014 however getting Spies may help them come back sooner. They have already developed a bike, and their old bike wasn't doing badly with Bautista dicing with Nicky and beating him regularly. Granted that was for 5th or 6th but it wasn't bringing up the rear!

Erik S. 07-25-2012 10:07 AM

Suzuki/VW you mean? It's VW's money that is reviving Suzuki. Remember the specualtion of a VW Superbike?

Good luck to Ben.

HRCA#1 07-25-2012 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Erik S. (Post 338656)
Suzuki/VW you mean? It's VW's money that is reviving Suzuki. Remember the specualtion of a VW Superbike?

Good luck to Ben.

I don't believe that VW will go down BMW's path. BMW built a superbike and now they're trying to convert into a GP Bike, ask Cllin Edwards how that's going!

I see VW going with an already developed GP Racer ala Suzuki then maybe building on that experience if they want to get into motorcycle manufacturing which I doubt.

captainchaos 07-25-2012 07:19 PM

UPDATE: He's gone...

Soup :: Spies Leaves: Another Hit to MotoGP :: 07-25-2012

smokinjoe73 07-25-2012 10:31 PM

It does suck that 2 guys who obviously love racing are dissing out of it due to the mess that it is. I kind of always felt that I love racing but probly wouldnt if I HAD to race. Especially under someone elses conditions.

Motogp is killing the proverbial golden goose(s)

HRCA#1 07-25-2012 10:34 PM

I don't know that he's gone yet, he may well be, but I think the Suzuki angle is worth thinking about..but hey he may go ride bicycles

But I agree with VTR Surfer, love to buy those guys a few beers and find out what they have to say!

erno 07-26-2012 07:48 PM

Rumour mill has it, that spies is going to BMW WSBK
And rossi back at yamaha.

smokinjoe73 07-26-2012 08:32 PM

I hate to see spies go but to have valentino back on a competetive bike sure would be nice.

BUT what I heard is that yammi would never do it so as not to freak out lorenzo.

smokinjoe73 07-27-2012 06:11 AM

So that would mean they (bmw) boot haslam? Melandry cant be gone. He may win the title.

festertruck 07-27-2012 08:11 AM

BMW supposedly announced no more factory team next year in superbike. They are going to back the Italian team instead. So even less BMW spots open. They are on track to win both the rider and manufacturer title and say they are pulling out... Bummer.