SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Racing (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/)
-   -   MOTO GP - Watch out for Yamaha (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/moto-gp-watch-out-yamaha-6218/)

mamisano 06-25-2004 12:55 PM

MOTO GP - Watch out for Yamaha

Damn, did Rossi bring a briefcase full of Honda secrets with him when he moved to Yamaha? He just broke the track record during qualifying and Checa on the other Yamaha is 2nd in provisional qualifying.

In a division dominated by Honda just a year ago, they only have 3 bikes in the top 10 qualifying positions. The great thing about it is that it keeps the races MUCH more interesting...even though I am a Honda man.

Jabba 06-26-2004 02:53 AM

I'm a Honda man too, but first I'm a race fan.

I'm surprised that Rossi can even sit on a bike, I mean with balls that big, it must be hard to walk :wink:

Screw Honda (the MotoGP racing part of it anyways) they have destroyed so many up and coming Japanese talents over the years. Why is it that the Japanese guys can not win races, let alone championships? Why is it that every other major motosport country in the world has produced all kinds of bike champs, but not Japan?

I've talked to a number of Japanese friends, guys in the racing/bike business, even ex-racers, and they all say the same thing, the Japanese corporate culture destroys the will to win with too many of the young Japanese guys. They are all hungry and wanting to win when they enter the top level, but once there they understand that the big company will take care of them for life, if they tow the company line, they will have a job with Honda no matter what. With the non-Japanese riders that is not always the same thing. Most of the Non-Japanese riders want to win at most any cost (Kenny Roberts Jr. seems to be the exception to that rule). They don't care if they have to change teams every year, just as long as they are getting the commitment to win.

You see over here it is a huge thing, your corporate identity. If you work for Honda, you live in Honda housing, you drive a Honda car, you wife is involved in the Honda wives clubs, your kids are in the Honda after school program, Honda summer camp program. If you decide that you need to move to Yamaha to win, then you have to destroy all of your friendships, and your wife and kids friendships as well. Seriously, if you work for Honda, and you change to another company, guys you worked with, spent holidays with, and whose families were your family's friends, now will not say "hi" to you if they bumped into you. Sounds far fetched? I've seen it up close and personal (that is another story). This whole "get along" cultural system is not what is best for winning. Look at guys like Kenny Roberts (Sr.) he was a nut about 110%, if you did not give it, your ass was grass!! Even Mick Doohan, same attitude.

Rossi made Honda so great, one of the things I've heard Mick say about him is how well he can feel the bike, and translate that into meaningful data for the techs, look what he has done for Yamaha in 5 races. The M1 has improved as a bike, if it was just Rossi's considerable talent, then why have all the other Yamaha guys also stepped up?

Guys like Rossi, with his fan following make the sport great, not some pencil necked geek sitting in an R&D lab somewhere shaving off another 3 grams of weight from the latest GP bike.

Honda's loss is all of our gain.

Sorry for the long winded post!!

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rossi GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spEEdfrEEk 06-26-2004 06:56 AM

Colin lives 25 mi. from me.

Heh heh.. SCREW ROSSI!

GO EDWARDS, GO HAYDEN! :D

(can you tell I'm a homer?)
8) TJ 8)

Jabba 06-26-2004 07:13 PM

Ya got to catch him to screw him :D

I'd love to see Nicky step it up as well.

mamisano 06-28-2004 07:56 AM

Damn.... The Doctor was in the house this weekend. Valentino is just awe inspiring, like he is just playing with his prey before the pounce.

Honda needs to do something, fast!

ChickenLover 07-23-2004 06:06 PM

Re: MOTO GP - Watch out for Yamaha

Don't discount Nicky so soon. He's looked really good the last couple of weeks. Look for more podium finishes this year. I think next year he could be in the Top 3 for the year. He has quite a few race wins ahead of him, I assure you.

Rollingalong 10-21-2004 02:48 AM

Re: MOTO GP - Watch out for Yamaha

Just a quick jab at ya for posting that Rossi made Honda great < grin>

Little handle bar bending Freddy Spencer made Honda great back in 79 or so, they spiraled up from there .

Honda ... what a motor company . I wish I had better recall on what all they have done in the past in terms of engine developement .

The two stroke 500's , I miss those things in racing . If they can get that damn Mazda RX8 Rotary engine to pass emissions someone should be able to fuel inject , variable port time a two stroke .

If they ever do , I'm in line for a 750 cc Gamma 8)