SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Racing (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/)
-   -   Indy MotoGP viewing tips? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/indy-motogp-viewing-tips-26403/)

superhen 08-18-2011 06:42 PM

Indy MotoGP viewing tips?

Going to Indy for the first time next week with my family and some friends fro Denver. Pretty pumped, as I love motorcycle racing, been to MotoGP but never to Indy before. We are RVing at the track and have GA tix, any advice on which "mounds" are best for race viewing?

nnjhawk02 08-20-2011 05:15 AM

I went to the 1st one in '08 w/ GA tix as well, but that was the year of Hurricane Ike & we snuck in to grandstand by turn 1, w/ help of another friend who was seated there. Crazy weather that race weekend, Friday downpours, Blazing hot Saturday & Ike Sunday.

try & get a spot w/ a video screen - I think thats tough w/ a GA tix though.

BTW - I rode the VTR there from Eastern Pa ;)

enjoy - see u @ '13 Austin race

jay956 08-20-2011 07:27 AM

went last year for the first time and am going again this year, ga tickets also. for the races we sat outside of turn 6 (i think). good spot, you see everything from turn 6 to when theyre getting on the back straight. gonna try to find a spot with a screen this year. last year you couldnt even hear the commentators from the area so there really wasnt a way to follow the race. will you be there the whole weekend? if so there is plently of time to to walk around and scout out a place. we walked around during the practices and warm ups, the stands are also open to everyone on friday and saturday.

superhen 08-20-2011 08:15 AM

Yup, we'll be there all weekend, so plenty of time to scope it out. Just getting an idea of what you all thought. Thans for the tips. Hopefully the weather is good this year.

Oh, Austin is going to be awesome in a couple years! I love that town, my wife went to grad school there, and we have lots of friends. And everthing in TX in done BIG.

comedo 08-20-2011 08:16 AM

The place is huge. You can check out the track online or get a map with your race programme.
The stands of the NW Vista have been a general admission area in the past. You can see turns 10 to 16 and watch a video screen from there.
The mound in the infield between turns 5 and 6 is a good place to spot who is keeping the throttle open longest.
The mound outside turns 7 to 9 is a good place to watch superb riders go from full lean on one side to full lean on the other. There are lots of good places.
I've never been to a track at which the fans are treated better than the fans at Indianapolis.
The food offered is great provided you enjoy high levels of fat, salt and sugar. An endive and arugula salad with crumbled gorgonzola, walnuts and raspberry vinaigrette is hard to find.

superhen 08-20-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by comedo (Post 312090)
An endive and arugula salad with crumbled gorgonzola, walnuts and raspberry vinagrette is hard to find.

You crazy Canucks - and I thought all you guys knew about was Moosehead, jellies, hockey, and back-bacon! (I'm from northern Minnesota, so I can kid you about this stuff, Canada is one of my fav places)

Can't wait to get Indy. Hopefully they don't make me eat too much salad.;)

Verne 08-20-2011 11:05 AM

I have been up there every year but not going this year. Will be watching from the restaurant at Deals Gap.

As for the best spot I would suggest checking it out Turn 7. About as close as you can get to the track just be ready to wait your turn at any of the hotspots. There are alot of good spost around the track just make sure you have some good shoes cause the miles will add up quick walking around the place.

JamieDaugherty 08-22-2011 10:03 AM

This year I will be in Section E. I'm hoping to see some good passing there. The South vistas weren't that great two years ago and Section H last year was just ok.

Just keep in mind that qualifying is more exciting than the race itself!

superhen 08-22-2011 12:27 PM

Oh yeah, I've been to MotoGP before, and qualifying is definitely awesome, pressure packed and frantic. I'm looking forward to the Moto2 and 125 races too, always close racing.

JamieDaugherty 08-23-2011 05:21 AM

You know, I've never found the 125 class to be very exciting at all. Pretty boring in fact. The new Moto3 class should fix that next year!

jay956 08-23-2011 06:57 AM

leaving tomorrow morning! cant wait

superhen 08-23-2011 02:58 PM

Have fun. Be ready in case Hayden goes down, they might need an extra racer.

jay956 08-25-2011 04:03 PM

checked out the museum today. tried to sneak into the track but too many check points. ama pits are not blocked off though.

Verne 08-25-2011 05:16 PM

You guys have fun up there, I am about to head out to The Dragon for the weekend. Hopefully it will be a lite weekend up there since it is Indy weekend.

JamieDaugherty 08-26-2011 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by jay956 (Post 312515)
checked out the museum today. tried to sneak into the track but too many check points. ama pits are not blocked off though.

AMA pits?

Heading down tonight, looks like I'll probably be riding the VTR too. I'm super bummed about the Indy Mile. That was one of the highlights of the weekend for me. The downtown stuff is pretty boring, really.

jay956 08-26-2011 05:39 AM

the ama xr1200 guys are pitted right behind the museum.

jay956 08-27-2011 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is at our hotel
Attachment 25714

JamieDaugherty 08-27-2011 07:07 PM

What hotel is this? We are staying at the Marriott Downtown. I'll be in Section E tomorrow proudly sporting my SuperHawkForum T-shirt!

jay956 08-27-2011 07:09 PM

airport ramamda. got my shirt too!