SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Wow the internet has come full circle... Velocity stacks. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/wow-internet-has-come-full-circle-velocity-stacks-34779/)

RedStormJ 11-20-2017 06:27 AM

Wow the internet has come full circle... Velocity stacks.

I have been avoiding the forum because I am using materials I promised to finish my gas tank project for my lotus esprit. I just got done glassing an intake plenum for it and now I need to make stacks. LOL.... Who are the experts in this field... Google has pages of results and the only thing even semi usable came up in here. So I am going to keep this in the same sub forum because I think it can be applicable to the Superhawk. BTW mine isnt wrecked or upside down. It is just sleeping because the oil is older than the dinosaurs used to make it and needs a change along with it being rainy for a month straight.... I also no longer need to ride it in the rain.

Without further ado my actual Thread: How do you calculate the size needed for a velocity stack also as luck would have it my esprit's runners and the carb on the hawk are the same size unless im mistaken 45mm. also displacment is close. Esprit 2.2L by 4 and the Hawk .996L by 2.
I just need to know the best mouth size along with the length I am hearing that shorter is actually better. But I have no proof. Any articles or opinions are welcome.

Also to keep the heat down a bit. I did lay some glass on my tank. I will be posting in my tank thread next week..

PoorMansDucati 11-23-2017 01:46 PM

I seem to remember reading a thread some time ago about how there is a correlation between the length of the velocity stacks and the range it affects. Don't quote me, but I think the shorter stacks benefit the low end and the longer stacks benefit the higher range.

RedStormJ 11-24-2017 12:59 AM

Agreed and the same with the above. But how do you figure how big to make them. 45 mm opens to 55? What are your thoughts. In my application being an I4 I will run equil length short stacks but how wide. My length probably wouldnt be over an inch.

Wicky 11-24-2017 01:46 AM

Metric Induction Wave Tuning Calculator

RedStormJ 11-24-2017 01:54 AM

Good tool but what final diamiter should I use on my stack or how do I find it. I want to make these stacks as they are going in an all carbonfiber box.

Wicky 11-24-2017 01:54 AM

2x short length stacks > top end i.e. track

2x long = mid-range i.e. street

Cheapest way to do is replace the one of the two mixed OEM stacks with either another OEM long or short to suit.

RedStormJ 12-03-2017 05:48 AM

Dont help with my application. I am talking about fabbing stacks. A whole other part of the ballgame.

Wicky 12-03-2017 09:44 AM

Did you read the blurb with the Calculator i linked to relating to width & length:

Do as many calculations as needed to get a workable compromise between performance and the practical space constraints on your vehicle. Once you have found the most practical dimensions, all you do is measure the current intake runner length and subtract this from the length advised in the calculator - the bit left over is the length of the velocity stack. This will tell you how long the velocity stacks should be, but remember to allow about a half inch so the stack can slide over or inside the end of the runner (usually the carbie or throttle body).
How not to do it: https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewt...hp?f=7&t=28350

Jerry Anderson 01-27-2018 10:37 AM

Living in Colorado I tried the long velocity stacks on both carbs and it didn't like it at all. My jetting is the same on both carbs. Emulsion tubes too. I installed the shorter stacks and it works very well!

RedStormJ 02-01-2018 05:17 AM

I forgot to say thanks! Man.... The project with that and my bike are on a DEEP FREEZE. This weather is so cold. Could it be global warming? Lol.

That part is a joke no need to comment on it.

Also... Dude. My Samsung 850 evo died after releasing my first cooking show. I finally got ready to start fabbing up my new interior panels on the car and I am getting an in rush of students. I been busy. When this project is finally donw I will show you guys what I did.