SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Winter Needs To End Before I Go Broke... Steering Damper Added (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/winter-needs-end-before-i-go-broke-steering-damper-added-21559/)

inderocker 02-13-2010 07:28 PM

Winter Needs To End Before I Go Broke... Steering Damper Added

2 Attachment(s)
Like most of you, when it's too cold to ride, it's warm enough to modify. I bought a Sprint damper off of eBay the other week and it finally came in yesterday. I've never experienced any head-shake on the VTR so I had no other reason to buy it than to buy it because I didn't have one. The Sprint damper has a great range of adjustment... 14 positions, the 14th making it extremely difficult to turn the bars. It does stick out quite a bit when the bars are at full right lock, but it does not interfere with anything.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...0&d=1266118085

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...9&d=1266118075

captainchaos 02-13-2010 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by inderocker (Post 253877)
I had no other reason to buy it than to buy it because I didn't have one.

LOL. Admitting you have problem is the first step towards recovery ;) I still don't think I have a problem.

autoteach 02-13-2010 09:37 PM

SO, does this dampener make anything other than your steering wet?

inderocker 02-13-2010 11:05 PM

No idea what you are referring too... :confused: It might have something to do with your custom undertail exuast & intergrated turnsignals though. :p

autoteach 02-13-2010 11:06 PM

the difference between a damper and a dampener, one slows movement and the other makes things wet.

It is a very common mistake, and when you think of it, it is funny.

inderocker 02-13-2010 11:12 PM

Yes, I know what you were referring to... I was just being a smartass. :lol:

autoteach 02-13-2010 11:21 PM

As was I

Gregw 02-13-2010 11:53 PM

Well we never had winter and I still don't have any money. S'pose to be in the 80's tomorrow. It has been damper this year though.

autoteach 02-14-2010 12:07 AM

ooooooo,
Maybe more damp? You can be a damper, and weather can as well. But it means to ruin the mood or proceedings, like the rain was a damper on the party. But you cant say that this year is damper than last in describing the amount of rainfall. Well, you can say it, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. HAHAHAHAHAH, I am totally jacking this thread and becoming a damper.:threadjack:

PUSHrod 02-14-2010 02:08 AM

If I understand the er... thrust of this thread,

It sticks out quite a bit at full 'lock'. Secret code to get past the nanny filter?

The more slowly a movement becomes it's because it is more damp? Almost counter-intuitive. Oh, I get it, 'Newspeak', it is a brave new world.

t-dogg 02-17-2010 09:11 AM

Wow, very stock looking, I like it. So may be a stupid question, But why are some dampers on top of the tripples and others down on the side like yours?

inderocker 02-17-2010 09:48 AM

I wanted it to blend in, which is why I opted for the silver, side-mount damper. As for placement... I don't know why there are different options. It may be purely cosmetic or maybe there are different characteristics between the two.

Stevebis1 02-17-2010 10:17 AM

I looked at the Scott's web site and they indicate they offer more adjustment - but then it is their website afterall. Anybody have experience on this?

inderocker 02-17-2010 10:26 AM

They probably do, but it should at over $400. ;)

Tweety 02-17-2010 10:37 AM

From what I have read the ones sitting on top of the triple can be set to be less intrusive than one at the side (has to do with leverage) and can still be set as "hard" as the side mounted ones... The downside is that they intrude on your space more... And is more visible...

Personally I'm leaning towards getting a GPR steering damper... Sits on top of the triple, but doesn't intrude as much... I'm just not interested in paying the price for one new...

inderocker 02-17-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 254285)
Personally I'm leaning towards getting a GPR steering damper... Sits on top of the triple, but doesn't intrude as much... I'm just not interested in paying the price for one new...

Lazn has a GPR iirc. Looks very nice, but I think he had to modify a CBR600 kit to make it work... then again, that's right up your alley Tweety. ;)

lazn 02-17-2010 11:51 AM

Yep I do have a GPR. I think in my case a 954 kit would have worked with no mods, but since I had half a CBR600 kit, I just made it work.

Tweety 02-17-2010 01:40 PM

Well... I'm not sure... The 929/954 bracket should fit the triple nicely, but does the mount on the front of the tank fit? Obviously the CBR600 kit did...

uchi 02-17-2010 01:57 PM

looks good man, seems you found one after all :) and dont feel too bad about spending money, se my lists of crap in my sig, thats happened since october and theres more i havent added to that list yet :(

Tweety 02-17-2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by inderocker (Post 254286)
Lazn has a GPR iirc. Looks very nice, but I think he had to modify a CBR600 kit to make it work... then again, that's right up your alley Tweety. ;)

BTW... Why does all of you assume I want to modify stuff... I can't help it if the manufacturers made a mistake... It blatantly obvious that a swingarm from an VTR SP2 should fit my bike... Honda's standardization is decent, but it could be better...:rotf:

On a serious note... I'm not opposed to a Plug & Play solution if there is one available that suits my purpose... There generally isn't though... ;)

Tweety 02-17-2010 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by uchi (Post 254300)
looks good man, seems you found one after all :) and dont feel too bad about spending money, se my lists of crap in my sig, thats happened since october and theres more i havent added to that list yet :(

Uh... uchi, not to rain on your parade or anything... But around here that list is more a good start than a finished list... You know, you get the expectant stare "Yeah, and what else did you modify...?!" when you present it... I gave up trying to use abbreviations to fit my list into my sig line...

Wonder why I ended up where I am...:rotf: I respond easy to peer pressure...;)

uchi 02-17-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 254304)
Uh... uchi, not to rain on your parade or anything... But around here that list is more a good start than a finished list... You know, you get the expectant stare "Yeah, and what else did you modify...?!" when you present it... I gave up trying to use abbreviations to fit my list into my sig line...

Wonder why I ended up where I am...:rotf: I respond easy to peer pressure...;)

lol, easy now, i just bought the bike in august, lol. i could go off for the next 20 minutes on the $25k list i had in my car, 15 of that under the hood. lol. but yeah i see some of what you guys have done and it truly amazes me, some of the work is just amazing :D

Tweety 02-17-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by uchi (Post 254306)
lol, easy now, i just bought the bike in august, lol. i could go off for the next 20 minutes on the $25k list i had in my car, 15 of that under the hood. lol. but yeah i see some of what you guys have done and it truly amazes me, some of the work is just amazing :D

Oh don't worry... Since you already have the bug, you should catch up fairly soon...:rotf:

Nah it's not that impressive... My bike still has some parts that are stock... I can't name them right now, but I know they are there, somewhere...;)

uchi 02-17-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 254309)
Oh don't worry... Since you already have the bug, you should catch up fairly soon...:rotf:

Nah it's not that impressive... My bike still has some parts that are stock... I can't name them right now, but I know they are there, somewhere...;)

lol, i think you may have a stock bolt somewhere. should change that would dont want people thinking youre getting sloppy, lol.

hah the problem is i dont want the bug to bite me again, or more for that matter. i just want to save my money and invest it into something else, like a cafe racer build, lol