SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Winter motor tearout teardown build :) (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/winter-motor-tearout-teardown-build-24533/)

stumplove 01-13-2011 01:47 PM

Winter motor tearout teardown build :)

Since I have my motor out of the bike to replacd a possible bent shift fork, Im toying with the idea of beefing up the drivetrain while its out of the bike and on the bench. Im thinking an upgraded piston kit, and am torn between the Wiseco kit or the JE kit. Maybe upgrade my valves and springs, shift star kit, manual CCT's and a new clutch kit from either EBC or Barnett. Im looking for suggestions as to what to replace and upgrade getting the most performance and reliability for the money. Im open to just about anything but dont want to bore cylinders or cut new valve seats if I can avoid it. So gimme some ideas :D:evillaugh:

autoteach 01-13-2011 06:16 PM

If you dont want to cut valve seats, dont touch the valvetrain at all. There really isnt anything wrong with it. You can pit some pistons in, camshafts, and the rest will hold up. Others will weight in, give it time.

mboe794 01-13-2011 06:34 PM

Added compression makes a noticeable difference. I put JE 11.5:1 pistons in last winter. Added nearly 15 hp on the real dyno. But was a huge improvement on the ol' ass dyno. Lightening the flywheel probably helped there too though. I went 1/2" off the radius, or a full inch off the diameter.

If it were me, I'd bore new holes at .25 or .50 over if you're going with new pistons. Unless your bike has few miles, why not freshen up the bores? That's what I did (.50). The added cost is minimal. And you can have them matched to each other so you know you have a very nice fit. Plus there's a small bump in cc's. I know it's not enough to make a real difference, but it has to do something, right?

Manual cct's are definitely a good idea.

As for the shift kit... IMO, unless you want a quick shifting GP style bike, the SuperHawk shifts just fine. Spend the money on something else.

stumplove 01-16-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by mboe794 (Post 290901)
Added compression makes a noticeable difference. I put JE 11.5:1 pistons in last winter. Added nearly 15 hp on the real dyno. But was a huge improvement on the ol' ass dyno. Lightening the flywheel probably helped there too though. I went 1/2" off the radius, or a full inch off the diameter.

Ive read about lightening the flywheel but I dont know who I would have do it in my area of central NY. Im not very trusting of very many shops in the area to machine or do in depth motor work. Im going to get the stock bore JE 11.5:1 and just hone my cylinders to freshen them up. I just ordered some stuff I know I want to do while Ive got the motor torn out, PAIR block plate kit, APE CCT's, K&N Filter and DynoJet stage 1 jet kit, all for about 250 shipped to my door. Im excited to say the least :p Piston kit will be ordered friday 2 minutes after my payroll get deposited in my bank account:evillaugh: