SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Well well well, what do we have here? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/well-well-well-what-do-we-have-here-35229/)

E.Marquez 12-28-2018 02:39 PM

Well well well, what do we have here?

E.Marquez 12-28-2018 02:43 PM

What would you say if there was a no worry, no soldiering, plug in play using OEM quality water tight sealed connectors allowing the VTR owner to get rid of the bulky OEM coils with spark plug boots some 20 years old and swap in Modern Coil On Plug assembles.

No additional connectors in play so no additional failure points over the OEM set up.

What if such a harness was available now, custom made from new highest quality materials. No scaveging used wiring harness and cutting up your VTR to make this work

what if ....lol

E.Marquez 12-28-2018 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 408665)
What would you say if there was a no worry, no soldiering, plug in play using OEM quality water tight sealed connectors allowing the VTR owner to get rid of the bulky OEM coils with spark plug boots some 20 years old and swap in Modern Coil On Plug assembles.

No additional connectors in play so no additional failure points over the OEM set up.

What if such a harness was available now

what if ....lol

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...ebecdef3f.jpeg

xeris 12-28-2018 03:18 PM

If you haven't already done this mod, this is an opportunity to get the parts to do it right.
I noticed a little smoother idle and it felt like a bit more grunt through the mid range.

superhawk138 12-28-2018 08:17 PM

I've been considering this mod since my bike is naked and the front cylinder coil pack looks like ass sticking out the side.

NHSH 12-28-2018 10:09 PM

Had the parts for couple years now, but didn't get to it yet, I guess it is time to perfect the bike even more!!!

ACE VenTRa 12-29-2018 02:52 AM

I would say it's an awesome idea. I finished mine the other day and can't wait to get it all back together. I bet that between all the members that have purchased 4 coils to do this there are plenty extras tog o around if Ebay comes up short.

E.Marquez 12-29-2018 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa (Post 408672)
I would say it's an awesome idea..

It was, and thank you for it....credit where credits due.

Its all his ^^^^ fault....lol

CaryDG 12-29-2018 09:43 AM

So, Eric...... When do you start makin' them? After trying your superb R&R assemblies and lightened flywheel, I'm in for a set.

E.Marquez 12-29-2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by CaryDG (Post 408678)
So, Eric...... When do you start makin' them? After trying your superb R&R assemblies and lightened flywheel, I'm in for a set.

Making a set now...
Planning on offering just the harness and harness with a pair of good used coils.. Rider would only need to remove the rubber boot from the stock plug cap and slide it on the new coil

superhawk138 12-29-2018 11:08 AM

Do you have an estimated price for a set?

E.Marquez 12-29-2018 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk138 (Post 408680)
Do you have an estimated price for a set?

Still working though that.
The Harness only is looking to be $49 including shipping to US locations.
The Harness and coils ..... well its going to depend a lot on availability at a decent price ..I got a few so far at a good deal...but the rest I found were not such a good deal, or of untried source application.

I can do 4 sets of complete kits at $74 assuming all 8 coils test good when I get them next week. After that is will depend on market price (kind of like ordering the Fresh caught lobster at your local restaurant...lol )

I'll start a new thread in the classifieds when I have coils in hand and ready to ship.

smokinjoe73 12-30-2018 06:43 AM

I think the trickiest part is the "waterproof boot" that keeps water out of the plug opening. I had some lighting bolts arcing in heavy rain. Took some carefulness to get the seal right.

E.Marquez 12-30-2018 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 408690)
I think the trickiest part is the "waterproof boot" that keeps water out of the plug opening. I had some lighting bolts arcing in heavy rain. Took some carefulness to get the seal right.

It is really an easy deal if you are willing to use the stock spark plug boots. I've done 1/2 doz now besides my two SH, and all fit well with minimal work.

CrankenFine 12-30-2018 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 408670)
Had the parts for couple years now, but didn't get to it yet...

Yup, same here. I even have a spare set of stock coils so I can put it all back to stock if anything is unsatisfactory.

E.Marquez 12-31-2018 07:52 AM

First set completed.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...e24c5aa850.jpg

PT Matt2 01-09-2019 07:54 PM

Got mine in the mail today. Quality work.

Now I need to find the time to install them!

Thanks Erik!

:wheelie:

smokinjoe73 01-09-2019 09:12 PM

Wish this was on offer when I was kneeling on the side of the road at midnight in Queens in the pouring rain watching the lightning storm on my rear coil.
What a treat that was. But at least it didn't happen on the Brooklyn Queens expressway with no shoulder.

CaryDG 01-13-2019 09:52 PM

Erik, Got mine today. Great workmanship, as usual. I turned down a few CBR1000rr coils so I can install them tomorrow. By the way if anyone needs additional plug caps/moisture seals to mod for a COP project, they are available from Honda (part #30700=MBB-640) for about $16 ea. If anyone needs a couple of CBR1000 coils already turned down, I have two extras for $25 shipped.