SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Weight difference - Stock flywheel vs lightenedd (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/weight-difference-stock-flywheel-vs-lightenedd-26783/)

HawkRider98 10-09-2011 02:17 PM

Weight difference - Stock flywheel vs lightenedd

Stock - 7.32 lbs
Lightened - 6.57 lbs

Just replaced it yesterday and of course it's raining so no report on difference on the street. Hasn't rained three days in the last 6 months but of course it's raining now.

7moore7 10-09-2011 02:21 PM

That weight's all on the outer diameter too, which is just as important when considering effects of inertia on throttle response/engine braking.

8541Hawk 10-09-2011 02:23 PM

Yeah .75 lbs of the end of the crankshaft does make a little bit of a difference..... ;)

E.Marquez 10-09-2011 10:41 PM

I've been looking for another flywheel to do the Revolution Racing version of this mod for a bit.
I sold off my spare when I was intending on selling the SH, but since changed my mind on that and now need another flywheel.
Once I get home,, first project is going to be build a lathe mounting plate for the flywheel.. then get to work. On this bike I have not read a bad report about ill effects on using a lightened flywheel.. Like many bikes, it has more flywheel weight then needs from the OEM, so react well to even moderate lightening jobs.

Looking forward to reading your after ride report.

8541Hawk 10-09-2011 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 315963)
I've been looking for another flywheel to do the Revolution Racing version of this mod for a bit.
I sold off my spare when I was intending on selling the SH, but since changed my mind on that and now need another flywheel.
Once I get home,, first project is going to be build a lathe mounting plate for the flywheel.. then get to work. On this bike I have not read a bad report about ill effects on using a lightened flywheel.. Like many bikes, it has more flywheel weight then needs from the OEM, so react well to even moderate lightening jobs.

Looking forward to reading your after ride report.

Well make sure you get it rebalanced after doing Rodgers mod as it takes a bit more off and you can't just run it like the Moriwaki style mod.

E.Marquez 10-10-2011 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 315964)
Well make sure you get it rebalanced after doing Rodgers mod as it takes a bit more off and you can't just run it like the Moriwaki style mod.

I have a shop in the UK that will do just the flywheel, but not located one in the US yet. Know of one?

And , do you have a drawing, cad, specs for the Moriwaki style?

Tweety 10-10-2011 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 315967)
I have a shop in the UK that will do just the flywheel, but not located one in the US yet. Know of one?

I have a shop locally here in Sweden that will do it, but that's probably not going to hep you... ;)

E.Marquez 10-10-2011 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 315964)

So to continue the discussion on balancing. You said it needs to be balanced in this thread..
But previously you posted...

8541Hawk: Roger sent me same diagram week ago but I wouldn´t post it on internet as there is Courtesy of Roger Ditchfield written. Maybe he don´t mind but ...

Anyway he wrote me that balancing is not needed when done properly.
Which is what i remembered being stated in the UK boards and what i wrote in my notes for the project..'

mikstr 10-10-2011 05:44 AM

I had Roger machine mine (picked up a used flywheel cheap in the UK and had it shipped idrectly to him). He then had it balanced (at a place that does work for F1 teams). The proverbial fly in the ointment was the cost of shipping to get it here. However, given the amount of help Roger has given me over the years, I felt it was important to give him the business....

AS for the results, love it. The bike revs much more quickly.

8541Hawk 10-10-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 315969)
So to continue the discussion on balancing. You said it needs to be balanced in this thread..
But previously you posted...

Which is what i remembered being stated in the UK boards and what i wrote in my notes for the project..'

Could you point me to the thread where that was posted?

The reason I ask is because I never was able to get any information from Rodger.

In fact he said he wasn't giving anyone the info anymore as it just gets posted to the net. Of course a couple months later, someone else stated they talked to him and he gave them the drawing that was posted here.

So at that point I just figured he hated 'mericans or something but let it go as i had the "other" specs to mod it to.

The one thing I do remember is Rodger is adamant that you must rebalance the flywheel after lightning it, don't know if that is just Rodger or if it is because of the way he does the flywheel.

On the other hand Bob H. (RIP) and the other Moriwaki guys I talked with said just remove .5" from the O.D. and run it with no re-balancing required.

So I don't know if I miss stated something or what I posted was taken wrong but I have talked to Rodger exactly one time and got no useful infor from him what so ever.

8541Hawk 10-10-2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 315967)

There is no drawing but the specs or set up is to mount the flywheel in a 4 jaw "buck" chuck go you can remove all the run out and then remove .500" from the outside diameter of the flywheel.

That is it.

Rodger dishes out the back side of the flywheel to remove even more weight.
Don't know how well this works on the street or if the extra costs involed with the extra machining and balancing give you much or any added benefit on the street.

killer5280 10-10-2011 10:55 AM

Simpler is better and so is lighter. I had .5" removed from the radius of mine and I love it.

E.Marquez 10-10-2011 10:54 PM

I may have wrongly attributed a quote to you.. I'll have to look for that thread today and see..

Did you check op to the actual ALT "Basket". I thought of doing that, but it looks to be thin steel cover and I did not want to crush or otherwise deform the basket.

I was going to machine a backing plate for the flywheel, with a taper shaft to index and center the flywheel.
True and reduce the weight to the required dimension. And know the flywheel is true to the taper mounting point, same as when it is installed.

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 315986)
Could you point me to the thread where that was posted?

The reason I ask is because I never was able to get any information from Rodger.

In fact he said he wasn't giving anyone the info anymore as it just gets posted to the net. Of course a couple months later, someone else stated they talked to him and he gave them the drawing that was posted here.

So at that point I just figured he hated 'mericans or something but let it go as i had the "other" specs to mod it to.

The one thing I do remember is Rodger is adamant that you must rebalance the flywheel after lightning it, don't know if that is just Rodger or if it is because of the way he does the flywheel.

On the other hand Bob H. (RIP) and the other Moriwaki guys I talked with said just remove .5" from the O.D. and run it with no re-balancing required.

So I don't know if I miss stated something or what I posted was taken wrong but I have talked to Rodger exactly one time and got no useful infor from him what so ever.

mertechperformance 10-10-2011 11:17 PM

If properly (aka truly centered) it shouldn't need balancing after being cut. This is a HUGE mod in scooter tuning and many small displacement 4cyl cars.

E.Marquez 10-11-2011 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by mertechperformance (Post 316051)
If properly (aka truly centered) it shouldn't need balancing after being cut. This is a HUGE mod in scooter tuning and many small displacement 4cyl cars.

That would only be trey for the weight itself, not the assembly of the weight, sprag clutch, alternator basket.

The unit itself will never be in balance from just cutting down the weight. The question is, is the imbalance worth considering. My current position is NO, it’s not worth bothering.

wolfgun 10-11-2011 07:54 AM

lightened flywheel

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 315990)
Simpler is better and so is lighter. I had .5" removed from the radius of mine and I love it.

So you had 1/2" taken off the radius which is double what the other guys are talking about. Did you re-balance? Do you know what kind of weight you had removed? Any second thoughts about removing an inch off the O.D? I'm looking at doing this over the winter and am trying to map it out in advance. Thanks

killer5280 10-11-2011 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by wolfgun (Post 316068)
So you had 1/2" taken off the radius which is double what the other guys are talking about. Did you re-balance? Do you know what kind of weight you had removed? Any second thoughts about removing an inch off the O.D? I'm looking at doing this over the winter and am trying to map it out in advance. Thanks

I think there is a thread somewhere on the forum where I posted the weight difference; I can't remember for certain. I did not rebalance. I'm still happy with it. It just feels livelier and revs quicker.

Edit: Here it is. I found where I posted the before and after weights. This is for the whole assembly. 1 lb. 7 oz. reduction.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...e7/#post189867