SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Triple clamp upgrade (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/triple-clamp-upgrade-34415/)

thephatboi 03-20-2017 12:40 PM

Triple clamp upgrade

Hi guys, I am going to have Race Tech do my stock forks/springs on my 2002 Superhawk, and while I have them off figured I'd put a new steering head bearing in it and wondered about simply installing stronger/stiffer triple clamp(s). I don't want to get into major work like sourcing alot of different parts, so which triple clamps that are more rigid than the stock SH would you suggest, I really hope to just bolt something on and not have to mod it. Any info greatly appreciated. Already did the rear end with an Ohlins shock. Time to fix up the front end:)

thephatboi 03-20-2017 12:42 PM

PS. I am also still looking to buy some 2002+ VFR bars for my SH.

VTR1000F 03-20-2017 05:19 PM

Jamie Daugherty offers a replacement top yoke for the SH.

Check DMr Motorsports. I don't think it's on the Web site. You'd have to contact him.

Wolverine 03-20-2017 05:23 PM

It's not so much of the stock triples flexing like a wet noodle as much as it is the stock forks. You just want some bling up there?

thephatboi 03-20-2017 06:21 PM

flex

No I don't care what it looks like as long as it's decent, I just thought it might help a bit with upgraded from stock forks. This is part of my question; is the triple clamp that important if I'm sticking with stock forks upgraded by Racetech?
I guess I'm still open to the idea of swapping forks if that is a better bang for the buck, however I don't want to do a bunch of custom parts work, just hoping to find bolt on stuff, since I am inherently lazy, and would prefer to ride my bike over working on it:)

Wolverine 03-20-2017 07:16 PM

IMO the best thing for you to do in this instance is the worked oem forks, oem triples with a brace like the Coerce.
Coerce-Fork-Brace-Stabilizer-Honda-VTR1000F-Firestorm-Superhawk-VTR1000

Cadbury64 03-20-2017 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by thephatboi (Post 401070)
PS. I am also still looking to buy some 2002+ VFR bars for my SH.

If you are running the stock 41mm forks, you don't want 2002-onwards VFR bars as these all use 43mm forks. VFR's from about 1990 through to 2001 all used 41mm forks so the bars from these would fit your forks.

kenmoore 03-21-2017 04:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Try a Coerce fork brace, it worked for me after fitting f4i calipers.

Tightened up the whole front end .

The Coerce gave a great result for minimal time and outlay and stopped the forks from flexing except under hard hard brakes .

One of the mods that I have done that gave the bike a different feel immediately.

You can see it clearly here.

Attachment 21310

I have now gone to a USD but could still live with the setup I had.

thephatboi 03-21-2017 09:50 AM

Brace

Great info guys, thank you very much, for some reason I didn't realize the stock forks were 41 mm I thought they were 43. No wonder they're so flexible. if you still have that brace and want to sell it. I'd buy it off you for a reasonable price. I'd also buy some race tech springs .90 or . 88 approximately, if anybody has some that don't have a ton of miles on them.

xeris 03-21-2017 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by thephatboi (Post 401087)
Great info guys, thank you very much, for some reason I didn't realize the stock forks were 41 mm I thought they were 43. No wonder they're so flexible. if you still have that brace and want to sell it. I'd buy it off you for a reasonable price. I'd also buy some race tech springs .90 or . 88 approximately, if anybody has some that don't have a ton of miles on them.

Consider using DMr Performance Suspension DMr Performance Suspension instead of Race Tech

Cadbury64 03-21-2017 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 401107)
Consider using DMr Performance Suspension DMr Performance Suspension instead of Race Tech

Sonic Springs were the best price when I recently did some comparison shopping.

superbeater 03-21-2017 08:44 PM

Definitely go for the fork brace. I think there is also ne called super brace. I'd also suggest going with Jamie Daugherty for your Hawk suspension work. He can sell you Sonc Springs as cheap as direct from Sonic. http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/

kenmoore 03-22-2017 12:08 AM

phatboi,

I have swapped my brace with another VTR owner for some parts they had that I wanted.

Sorry.

thephatboi 03-22-2017 12:39 PM

Forks

Thanks guys!;)

Kelevra 04-19-2017 11:08 AM

Has anyone just modified (grinded/drilled), another VTR triple to use as a fork brace?

8541Hawk 04-19-2017 08:46 PM

It would take major machining to get a upper triple to fit on the lower fork legs, just not worth the time.

Though the true weak spot in the stock front end was identified and then just dismissed. It is the lower triple clamp. One of the reasons the fork brace helps so much on a VTR.

Then again I don't run a stock front end, so no worries either way for me. ;)

fabiostar 04-20-2017 08:03 AM

i managed to make a cb1300 fork brace fit mine and it stopped a bit of flexing at track days. for road use you would be hard pushed to tell the difference tho.