SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   tranny/clutch help? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/tranny-clutch-help-23610/)

havoc7685 08-27-2010 03:02 PM

tranny/clutch help?

I'm sure its somewhere on here but I looked an cldnt find it.
But here's wats goin on starting from (N) an it dosent do it all the time just like half 3/4s of the time lol.
Droping down into 1st from (N) it like clunks down in to gear an the whole bike jumps a lil an its very loud clunk. An that happens damn there 100% of the time. Starting down the road depend on rpm's shifting into 2nd there's a loud like gear grinding sound. An if it dosent do that it'll drop into (N) but dsnt drop very often just rarely. Or sometimes it'll shift into 2nd as smooth as can b all happen at any time an any rpm. 3,4,5,6 shifting into is smooth. Now downshifting (fml lol) usaly from 6-2nd is fine until I go to first then dump clunk thing happens. An other times down shifting is a nightmare it won't at all unless I keep squeezing an releasing the clutch as I push shifter down. But dropping a gear to while on the fly it never hesitates or gives me a problem it drops smooth an off I go. So bad clutch bad tranny? Idk please help

revhead1957 08-27-2010 03:24 PM

The transmission normally is clunky 1-N-2 and reverse and needs an assertive jab at the shifter, however from what you are saying, the clutch should be bled/fluid flushed as it sounds like you have air in the system.

havoc7685 08-27-2010 03:35 PM

Wow you have reverse lol I want reverse. Alright thanx a lot I'll give that a try an see wat happens hope that's all it is. An sorry about this nxt question but I'm a total nwb an not a very mechanical kinda guy. By flush the fluids you mean change the clutch fluid?

VTRsurfer 08-27-2010 04:41 PM

If you just bought the bike, try doing an oil change. Worn oil can cause clunky shifting.

But my bike always "jumps" a little when shifting into 1st. Just one of the many personality traits of the SuperHawk.

havoc7685 08-27-2010 05:02 PM

I just did the oil an filter a couple days ago wen I did the plugs, chain, an sprockets. That might help also. But didn't seem to be better or worse :/ but I do feel better about the 1st gear "jump clunk" thing now that I've heard its common. Ima try that bleed an flush thing wen I get home monday see wat happens.
I was waiting for let's play burn the newb but you guys were great thanx much

revhead1957 08-28-2010 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by havoc7685 (Post 279318)
Wow you have reverse lol I want reverse.
By flush the fluids you mean change the clutch fluid?

;) I also should have said reverse only works on hills. Oops!
Yes, I did suggest changing the clutch fluid, it degrades with time. DOT4 is recommended.

havoc7685 08-28-2010 05:31 PM

Lol damn FL an its flatness no hills :(
Alright thank man I'll get on that soon as I get back in town from work