SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Tips on re-shaping seat? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/tips-re-shaping-seat-16071/)

Slim 09-07-2008 09:25 PM

Tips on re-shaping seat?

I'm going to attempt taking a stock seat and stripping it down to the plastic shell, then re-applying new foam and re-covering it.

I have a good idea on what i'd like to do with re-shaping - I want to raise the front portion of the seat a small amount.

I'm currently working out details with purchasing a wrecked seat, so new foam and covering will be needed. I am looking into local solutions for these. I am thinking that i'd start with something close to stock for shape, then adding a small amount of material where I think I want it, covering loosely incase it needs to be re-done, and evaluating/altering as needed.

I may also attempt to leave out making the passenger section and making some type of permanent storage container/holder, not sure yet. I need to see what's under there first.

For those that have done this do you have any advice/tips you'd like to share please? Maybe something you did do that you wouldn't again, or vice versa? Anything to watch out for when doing this?

I realize there is some good input on this already, but am hoping a new thread may fetch new responses not covered before.

PATIA for all/any info. :)

Gregw 09-08-2008 12:07 AM

Hi Slim,
I did this not too long ago and am happy with the results. Someone here had mentioned using memory foam. I bought a bed pillow of the stuff that was 2" thick across the middle and about 4" thick on the top and bottom. Since it is so much softer than the stock foam, I wound up using the 4" part up by the tank.
I used an electric carving knife to cut 1" off the original seat only for the rider, not the passenger. A bread knife should work also. As I got to the ridge where the passenger section starts, I tapered the 1" out so the original edge was still intact. After shaping the memory foam, I glued it with contact cement. I tapered the memory foam down the sides also where the inner thigh is so there wouldn't be an abrupt edge. Over all that, I added a ¼" thick sheet of denser foam, but that may not have been needed.
There was some black marine vinyl with leather texture left from another project, so I used that as a cover, not glued, only stapled to the underside of the seat as original.

Zedicus 09-08-2008 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Gregw (Post 180090)
Hi Slim,
I did this not too long ago and am happy with the results. Someone here had mentioned using memory foam. I bought a bed pillow of the stuff that was 2" thick across the middle and about 4" thick on the top and bottom. Since it is so much softer than the stock foam, I wound up using the 4" part up by the tank.
I used an electric carving knife to cut 1" off the original seat only for the rider, not the passenger. A bread knife should work also. As I got to the ridge where the passenger section starts, I tapered the 1" out so the original edge was still intact. After shaping the memory foam, I glued it with contact cement. I tapered the memory foam down the sides also where the inner thigh is so there wouldn't be an abrupt edge. Over all that, I added a ¼" thick sheet of denser foam, but that may not have been needed.
There was some black marine vinyl with leather texture left from another project, so I used that as a cover, not glued, only stapled to the underside of the seat as original.

thas about a perfect write up, only thing to add is they make stretchy vinyl now that makes doing motorcycle and atv seats a bit easier. dont try to glue the vinyl to the foam, it will break down eventually. when yur stapling i usually put about 2 staples in the front and one in the back and then evenly work the sides around from front to back. the original back staple may need taken out when you get close to the back but it helps hold everything centered when your working towards it.

also memory foam isnt really supportive, i would layer a bit of dense foam down first and them use the memory foam on top of it.

good luck.

finepooch 09-08-2008 06:54 AM

i have thought about attempting this for a long time. as near as i can tell the shape is more important that the foam density. in fact the more comfy seats seem to have denser foam, like corbin.

i like that electric carving knife idea!

superbling 09-08-2008 07:44 AM

They don't advertise the fact but sargent will sell you a 12x12x2 inch blank of their foam for about $25. Use an electric carving knife and sand paper to cut, remove and smooth it. I then add some cotton batting found in the arts/crafts section at walmart on top of it to help smooth out the transitions and re-staple the cover back on. TIP: I leave the sides alone and only replace the center section to keep it as simple as possible.

If you doing major changes, then an auto upholstery shop can make a new cover or alter the old one.

gboezio 09-08-2008 04:53 PM

The mandatory linky's
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

smokinjoe73 09-08-2008 10:09 PM

A wire brush also works to sculp foam slowly. I have also used an electric hot wire cutter.

VTR69 09-14-2008 03:06 PM

I used a #80 grit on a belt sander to sculpt my stock saddle, it worked pretty well.

SPRHK 09-14-2008 05:28 PM

I bought a Corbin and love it just the way it is!! LOL

Gregw 09-14-2008 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by SPRHK (Post 181224)
I bought a Corbin and love it just the way it is!! LOL

That may be true, but what I did cost about $40.:D

MisfitToy 09-16-2008 04:58 PM

pretty sure you left out a zero on that price check