SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Tach only recommendation (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/tach-only-recommendation-24596/)

D VTR RIDER 01-23-2011 05:54 AM

Tach only recommendation

I'm slowly converting the Storm to a track only bike. The front forks are being replaced with 954 parts (Race Tech springs and G2-R gold valve), 1000rr triple, Woodcraft riser bars and a 900 rear swing arm brace was purchased yesterday on FleaBay.
I also have a aluminum fairing stay on the way and therefore a solo tach would be really nice. My question is, "can someone recommend a solo tack to mount"? I saw a beautiful one at the Toronto bike show but unfortunately I don't remember the make. Craft disease (can't remember a f...ing thing" has set in. It would also be nice to have a shift light built in but it isn't absolutely necessary. I tend to ring the Storm's neck a little bit too much and with a stock engine, the power starts dropping off before red line, hence why this option would be nice.

P.S. Don't tell the wife about all the parts! I'm trying to keep it on a need to know basis and I figure she doesn't need to know. I was ratted out on the front end so I'm trying to be more careful;)

SuperBlink 02-15-2011 11:17 AM

Question for you my man, I'm also going with 954rr forks and front end, two questions actually, First, why the 1krr triple? And Second, hopw much was your spring and valve kit for your forks... Thinking about the same thing. Also, wondering if getting a spring that's one or two nothces sturdier than needed is a good idea with this bike being much heavier (I think, not KNOW) than the 954rr. Think I remember that the 9954rr is sprung around a 180lbs rider,d me being 205 ish and the bike being heavier with the big tin up front, is it advantageous to go with a spring size or two more than my personal weight requires???

D VTR RIDER 02-15-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by SuperBlink (Post 293393)
Question for you my man, I'm also going with 954rr forks and front end, two questions actually, First, why the 1krr triple? And Second, hopw much was your spring and valve kit for your forks... Thinking about the same thing. Also, wondering if getting a spring that's one or two nothces sturdier than needed is a good idea with this bike being much heavier (I think, not KNOW) than the 954rr. Think I remember that the 9954rr is sprung around a 180lbs rider,d me being 205 ish and the bike being heavier with the big tin up front, is it advantageous to go with a spring size or two more than my personal weight requires???

I'm using the 1000rr because that is what was what it came with. It fits nicely. I've only dry fitted the fairing so far. I may need to trim the lower section a few mm. The Racetech spring and gold valve worked so well with the VTR that I figured that I would upgrade the 954 as well. The triples are on but the forks aren't. After testing the forks by hand, I realized that one seal was leaking so they are partially stripped down. I ordered 2 new seals and the bushings yesterday. I should have done this from the start.
I bought the kit from one of the Canadian suppliers. It works out to the same price as what is advertised on the Racetech site when you factor in the shipping etc. I'm using the 1 kg springs and I weigh 200lb. The Racetech site will give you the correct spring size.