SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Superbike Fatbars with RC51 front end (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/superbike-fatbars-rc51-front-end-15842/)

cliby 08-16-2008 12:21 PM

Superbike Fatbars with RC51 front end

4 Attachment(s)
Another superbike bar conversion - this one with Fatbars on my bike with the RC51 front end, RC51 top triple clamp. I used TAG +5mm risers for the 1 1/8 inch bar. Bar is the Fatbar from Spiegler with the Superbike bar bend. I have always like the Tuono look and was going for that. I had convertibars on before that, but never liked the clumsy look of them - very bulky and never really fit inside the fairing well. The final position of the handgrips is not very different than the convertibars I had on. But the installation was very easy, no trimming of fairing needed, the MC and controls fit easily within the fairing. Easier than any of the clipon attempts I have made after the front end swap. I had +2 inch brake lines from an earlier mod, so can't say for sure how the fit is with standard lines. I am really happy with the way it turned out, though I didn't appreciate how the gold bars would clash with the yellow paint! (custom paint has been on my list for a few years anyway).

For bigger images:

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...atbars%20RC51/

altosuperhawk 08-17-2008 06:45 AM

Those bars sure do look like the bars on my '07 Tuono- nicely done conversion!

superbling 08-17-2008 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by cliby (Post 176822)
The final position of the handgrips is not very different than the convertibars I had on. But the installation was very easy, no trimming of fairing needed, the MC and controls fit easily within the fairing. Easier than any of the clipon attempts I have made after the front end swap.

Nice job cliby! Pics aren't large enough to see any detail tho'. Thanks for confirming what I thought about shorter bar rise combinations possibly not requiring fairing trimming.

cliby 08-17-2008 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 176883)
Nice job cliby! Pics aren't large enough to see any detail tho'. Thanks for confirming what I thought about shorter bar rise combinations possibly not requiring fairing trimming.

I have a hard time sizing things for uploading to this site and retaining any detail. I'll add to photobucket and a link - below. I have to add, with the RC51 front end, I fashioned new stops that took away some steering lock. Using the full steering lock of the VTR front end, would have required the bars to be rotated forward more and therefore more fairing interference too.

Was able to put 100 miles on them today - very good - I don't lose anything for sporting riding and they are very comfortable.

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...atbars%20RC51/

KC-10ENG 08-19-2008 09:26 AM

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a full spiegler kit for a RC51 on ebay for 135 bucks! Came with the lines, upper triple clamp and the handle bar, I think that I am going to get a new clutch line before I try and do the swap so that line will be steel braided as well and flexible.

I will take some pics of the kit later.

cliby 08-19-2008 09:43 AM

check first with the alignment of the kit. I was worried with their setup for the RC51 that because the forks stick well above the triples (as opposed to on the RC51 bike) that the handlar risers will interfere with the tops of the forks. I'll be interested to see if you have that problem - be sure to post some pictures of it and I hope it fits.

KC-10ENG 08-19-2008 09:49 AM

No problem, I have mounted the kit once already but did not have time to finish the install (had to ride to Laguna moto GPthe next morning) and I did not have interference with the bars and top of the forks.

Dennis

killer5280 08-19-2008 09:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I use Irfan View for resizing images. It's really easy and it's a free program.

cliby 08-24-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by KC-10ENG (Post 177097)
No problem, I have mounted the kit once already but did not have time to finish the install (had to ride to Laguna moto GPthe next morning) and I did not have interference with the bars and top of the forks.

Dennis

dennis, thanks, would love to see some pics when its mounted up so remember to post some when done.

Killer5280, thanks hadn't heard of that program before but will check it out.

KC-10ENG 01-09-2009 07:14 PM

Hey Guys,

Long time no chat! I have not mounted the Spiegler kit yet and might not. I did find something interesting on the web the other day that might help us front end swappers though.

http://www.swattmotorcycle.com/Clip-Ons.html

2wheelust 01-09-2009 09:37 PM

KC-10ENG, I just stumbled on that website the other day and was considering those. Also found some WoodCraft bars that could also work. Couple of extra bucks over the Swatts but look a bit cleaner IMO.

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts...dproduct=18061

Since the best solutions for the front end swap seems to be TL1000 Heli's, 900SS heli's or convertibars (all of which add too much $$ to the project); anyone know the actual height above the clamps those options provide? Heli's website only compares to stock but doesn't specify actual rise above the clamps. In other words, would a 50mm rise (woodcraft) or 2.5in rise (swatt) truely be high enough to clear?

cliby 01-10-2009 06:12 AM

Those look pretty good. I had convertibars for awhile. depends on which front end you are putting them on. I had the RC51 swap with the flat top triple. So the large convertibar fork clamp had to go under the triple. If I switched to the 954 top triple (gull wing shape) that gave enough room to put the fork clamp over the triple (and thus didn't need as much rise). You are probably going to have to order some and just try them out to know perfectly - if you are careful with them just be sure you can return if they don't work for your uses.

KC-10ENG 01-10-2009 08:09 AM

I have the TL-1000 Heli-s on my swap and if I could I would have them be just a lil taller and that is even on a RC51 front end swap with the flat top triple.

Dennis

Tweety 01-10-2009 08:22 AM

Well, I have a convertibar setup and I can measure out the estimated rise for stock position if you want me to? Then you can firure if 1,1½ or 2 is the right one for you...

finepooch 01-10-2009 08:43 AM

those swat bars look good. the price makes them even more attractive. i'm going to consider them. i will be watching this thread for those measurements and installation results.

finepooch 01-10-2009 08:46 AM

i should know this: the stock forks are 41mm, right?

2wheelust 01-14-2009 06:42 PM

Tweety, I'll take you up on the offer of measurements off your setup. Grabbing the numbers for the convertibar rise above the clamping point, would help immensely for those of us who are still stuck on the bar issue (read: those of us too cheap for heli/convertibars and aren't quite ready for the superbike bar yet.....). Am I correct in assuming you are running the convertibars under the triple? Are they up against the triples or set even further (someone posted a pic of their 900ss helis mounted well underneath the triples..).

Thanks!!

finepooch 01-16-2009 04:55 PM

tommaselli

Syclone 02-12-2009 11:54 PM

Anyone try a set of these Swatt clip-ons yet? I can't decide between them or mounting a superbar with my fresh 954rr front-end swap

altosuperhawk 02-13-2009 06:58 AM

There were some good close-up shots of the Swatt clip-ons over on the SVRider site- buried about midway through a 5 page thread on high rise clip-ons. The purchaser seemed well satisfied- especially at the $139.00 price point. Haven't found any other first hand comments though.

Syclone 02-21-2009 04:08 PM

Swatt's ordered, I'll take pictures once I get/install them.