SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Superbike bar ???? Can't find w/ search (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/superbike-bar-cant-find-w-search-14088/)

smack doogle 03-20-2008 01:27 PM

Superbike bar ???? Can't find w/ search

Okay, I've searched over and over and can't find the answer. I want to do Superbling's superbike bar set up but I can't find a definite bar measurement. The link in his original post don't work no more. The measurements are very important since I want to use my clutch/brake and throttle cables without having to extend them. Specifically I'm looking for the Rise/pull back/width dimensions of a decent bar. Superbike bars on ebay are rouphly 2.25" rise with about 4"-4.75" pull back. There are a nice set of Moose risers 45mm for cheap on ebay also. I'd probably go with those unless someone thinks they may be to short. Any input would be great so I can get this done. Of course I have to sell my lower fairing first to fund this ;)

killer5280 03-20-2008 03:34 PM

I think he used Bikemaster's Superbike bend. I have used both the Superbike bend and the GP Touring bend and both will work. They have about the same rise, but the GP Touring have more pullback.
They're cheap enough to buy two or three and pick the one you like best; the European bend might work also, but it's only available in chrome.
By the way, the specs published by all the websites make no sense to me.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...85ED63265F8392

smack doogle 03-20-2008 05:16 PM

Thank you sir. You are a gem. Do you think the 45MM Moose risers will work or should it be the 55MM Moose risers Superbling used?

killer5280 03-20-2008 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by smack doogle (Post 156453)
Thank you sir. You are a gem. Do you think the 45MM Moose risers will work or should it be the 55MM Moose risers Superbling used?

My setup is a bit different because I have a 954 front end and custom made spacers, so I don't really know. I used the bar mounts linked below (the price has gone up about 20 bucks since I bought mine). You could use those mounts and easily make spacers out of aluminum bar stock if you need more height.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...opt-mounts.jpg
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ar-Mounts.aspx

flyingeyepro 03-20-2008 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I too have a 929/954 front end and went with the Freestyle Ingenuity risers specifically made for that top triple clamp (which isn't flat). I ordered the Bikemaster Superbike bars and found out too late that I should have measured the risers before I ordered the bars. When mounted, in the only possible location, they measure 5.375" (135mm) outside to outside, but the center portion of those bars is only 4" (102mm). So while I'm looking for another set of bars, these are for sale. $12 plus shipping. New never used, black.

http://www.freestyleingenuity.com/xc...0&cat=7&page=1

What bars did you use killer5280?

Thanx
Chris

superbling 03-20-2008 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 156447)
I think he used Bikemaster's Superbike bend. I have used both the Superbike bend and the GP Touring bend and both will work.

Yup, that's what I used in my original setup on superbling.

Currently I'm using this setup on my VFR (to muddy the waters):

Attachment 31028

TAG mounts (dirt bike). I used #4092

http://www.tagmetals.cc/mx/productde...p?id=barmounts

and an el cheapo ebay drag bar (it's not really a straight bar as you can see).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...em190205655368

About $75 total!

smack doogle 03-21-2008 02:31 AM

Thanks superbling. The link didn't work for me but I found the tag bar mounts. Are you using the +5MM? And any drag bar? Sounds good. Thanks again for the help.

superbling 03-21-2008 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by smack doogle (Post 156500)
Thanks superbling. . Are you using the +5MM?

Yup, that's what the #4092 is.

Good luck.

killer5280 03-21-2008 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by flyingeyepro (Post 156472)
I too have a 929/954 front end and went with the Freestyle Ingenuity risers specifically made for that top triple clamp (which isn't flat). I ordered the Bikemaster Superbike bars and found out too late that I should have measured the risers before I ordered the bars. When mounted, in the only possible location, they measure 5.375" (135mm) outside to outside, but the center portion of those bars is only 4" (102mm). So while I'm looking for another set of bars, these are for sale. $12 plus shipping. New never used, black.

http://www.freestyleingenuity.com/xc...0&cat=7&page=1

What bars did you use killer5280?

Thanx
Chris

Right now I'm using the Superbike bend. Originally I tried the GP Touring, and they fit well, but the angle of the bars hurt my throttle wrist, so I switched to the Superbike bend and the pain has not returned.
I can barely fit the Superbike bars in my mounts because of the narrow center section of that bar. It's tight, but it works. My homemade setup is a little bit narrower than the Freestyle Ingenuity mount. The GP Touring bar and the European bar have wider center sections than the Superbike bar, but I don't know if they're wide enough for the FI mounts. I have seen some other bars (Flanders, I think) that would probably work, but they're way more expensive than the Bikemaster bars.

smack doogle 04-03-2008 04:17 PM

Okay, might be a dumb question here but those who performed this mod do you drop the forks in the triple to help the brake/clutch cables reach? After looking at the bike I was like, there is no way the clutch cable will reach unless when I take off the clip-ons I drop the forks in the triple so the top of the forks are level with the top of the triple (plus the clutch MC wouldn't clear the fork adj.). Then it seems like the superbike bars would work fine. Am I correct with this? Am I stupid?

smack doogle 04-03-2008 04:28 PM

Okay, I am dumb. After searching some more I found that no, I don't drop the forks in the triple, why would I? So, I'm not sure if the SS Galfer lines will reach. Hmmmmm. what to do what to do.

FL02SupaHawk996 04-14-2008 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by smack doogle (Post 158347)
Okay, I am dumb. After searching some more I found that no, I don't drop the forks in the triple, why would I? So, I'm not sure if the SS Galfer lines will reach. Hmmmmm. what to do what to do.

Smack, inquiring minds want to know...did you SS lines reach???

Thanks,
Rick C.

superbling 04-14-2008 08:12 PM

Smack,

yeah unlike a clipon mod, you can gain some additional line slack by moving the triples down but this method should only be used for a few mm's only (probably 10-15mm MAX) as this quickens steering and lowers front end ground clearance.

smack doogle 04-15-2008 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996 (Post 159669)
Smack, inquiring minds want to know...did you SS lines reach???

Thanks,
Rick C.

Sorry gang, I got lazy and figured I'd try to change my riding arrangement first before swapping bars. I've found if I ride more towards the tank I can sit up more. I've only had the bike now for about 500 miles and I've found the seating position really tolerable, almost comfy, the closer I sit to the tank. It allows me to sit more upright. I'll know more after this weekend. I plan on haveing a 300 mile day on Saturday so that will tell me what route I should take next if any. I'll keep you posted though.

FL02SupaHawk996 04-15-2008 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by smack doogle (Post 159716)
Sorry gang, I got lazy and figured I'd try to change my riding arrangement first before swapping bars. I've found if I ride more towards the tank I can sit up more. I've only had the bike now for about 500 miles and I've found the seating position really tolerable, almost comfy, the closer I sit to the tank. It allows me to sit more upright. I'll know more after this weekend. I plan on haveing a 300 mile day on Saturday so that will tell me what route I should take next if any. I'll keep you posted though.

No prob, have a good trip Saturday and use a tank bag to lean on if you have one to help take the weight off your wrists;)

superbling 04-15-2008 07:32 AM

One of the biggest aids on a long riding day is a throttle lock for the straights. Just that few seconds every now and then to give your right hand some relief helps a lot more than you'd think.

Also, just putting in lots of saddle time helps tremendously on any bike. Unfortunately, that's not always possible for most folks. Continuous exercise and being in shape is big factor too.

FL02SupaHawk996 04-15-2008 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 159733)
One of the biggest aids on a long riding day is a throttle lock for the straights. Just that few seconds every now and then to give your right hand some relief helps a lot more than you'd think.

Also, just putting in lots of saddle time helps tremendously on any bike. Unfortunately, that's not always possible for most folks. Continuous exercise and being in shape is big factor too.

SuperBling, which throttle lock would you recommend and what do they cost???

Thanks,
RC

superbling 04-15-2008 08:03 AM

NEP for Honda. About $20.

FL02SupaHawk996 04-15-2008 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 159743)
NEP for Honda. About $20.

Thanks Doug, you da man!
:gatlin::boom:

speedhawk 04-15-2008 08:10 AM

damn... i thought you meant a place for sport bike riders to meet up and drink... :cheers:

smack doogle 04-15-2008 09:28 AM

I started using my cramp buster about two weeks ago. It's simple and cheap (about $10 at cycle gear). That might be helping me since I just rest the palm on it and sit up.

smack doogle 04-21-2008 01:48 PM

***UPDATE***

Okay, 316 miles on Saturday. The verdict? I don't really think bars are a necessity at this time. Yes, they would have made the ride a little more comfortable but the overall experience wasn't bad. I was more comfortable on the SH on saturday than any 100+ ride on my 05 Kawi Z750S which is a nakid with upright seating. Even the stock SH seat wasn't all that bad. I must say the SH is a pretty good sport tourer. Although, we were a group of 5 Superhawks rolling down the road all with aftermarket exhaust earplugs are definitely a must for the next group ride. We must have sounded incredible from a distance. Superbike bars are on the back burner for now. My Superhawk is good the way she is and I don't think I'll be doing this mod after all. Thanks to all the contributers and helpers here though. Someday when me and the superhawk are gray I'll do a search and find this post and say "oh that's how I do it"