SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Stock front forks questions (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/stock-front-forks-questions-22640/)

Grasshopper 05-24-2010 03:39 PM

Stock front forks questions

What weight oil should I run? I'm thinking something heavy like 20 or 30.
What height should it be from the top of the fork tube? Is this with or without the spring installed? Fully compressed or fully extended? A volume number might be easier.

The forks are stock and I just want to freshen them up before I turn a few laps at Road America. I plan on doing a full race tech upgrade soon but not before I ride RA. I'm also planning on a shock upgrade.

I have my race Svs for primary track use but I can't help but turn a few laps on the superhawk.

8541Hawk 05-24-2010 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 267309)
What weight oil should I run? I'm thinking something heavy like 20 or 30.
What height should it be from the top of the fork tube? Is this with or without the spring installed? Fully compressed or fully extended? A volume number might be easier.

The forks are stock and I just want to freshen them up before I turn a few laps at Road America. I plan on doing a full race tech upgrade soon but not before I ride RA. I'm also planning on a shock upgrade.

I have my race Svs for primary track use but I can't help but turn a few laps on the superhawk.

You should use 5wt oil in the forks. The fluid height is 130mm with the springs out & the forks compressed or 448+\- 2.5 cc's or 15.2 +\- 0.08 oz

Grasshopper 05-24-2010 05:40 PM

Wouldn't some thicker oil improve my damping a bit especially if I'm really riding hard? 5 weight oil seams so damn thin. I run 30 weight in the SVs stock forks.

8541Hawk 05-24-2010 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 267332)
Wouldn't some thicker oil improve my damping a bit especially if I'm really riding hard? 5 weight oil seams so damn thin. I run 30 weight in the SVs stock forks.

Actually the forks are a bit over damped in the stock form. In fact the band aid fix for removing the .56 kg\mm springs and replacing them with .90-.95 kg\mm spring is to use 7.5-10 wt so 30wt is way too much.

Doesn't the SV use damping rod forks? as opposed to the cartridges that the VTR uses. That would be the main reason for the differences in the wt oil used.

Little_Horse 05-24-2010 06:56 PM

I use 7 to 7.5 weight. Actually the air gap can vary some, just make sure it isn't much different then suggested and that it is the same in both legs. I think I have a 140mm air gap.

Little_Horse 05-24-2010 07:07 PM

Alot of this info was discussed on this thread

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17943

Grasshopper 05-24-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 267343)

Doesn't the SV use damping rod forks? as opposed to the cartridges that the VTR uses. That would be the main reason for the differences in the wt oil used.

You are correct about the SV forks. I'll put some new oil in the superhawk forks and go from there. I'm learning this new bike and making sure everything is safe and right before I really start riding it hard. I'm kind of easing into it. As far as I know the fork oil is complete crap and has never been changed with 24k on the clock. The front end feels way too soft.

8541Hawk 05-24-2010 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Grasshopper (Post 267360)
You are correct about the SV forks. I'll put some new oil in the superhawk forks and go from there. I'm learning this new bike and making sure everything is safe and right before I really start riding it hard. I'm kind of easing into it. As far as I know the fork oil is complete crap and has never been changed with 24k on the clock. The front end feels way too soft.

You would be surprised how much of a difference fresh oil will make. If you are riding it hard you might rasie the oil leave to around 120mm to start and see if you bottom out (then raise the level a bit more) or if it feels like it is locking up at the end of the travel lower the level 10mm or so until it feels right. ;)