SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   STIFFENING THE VTR1000F (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/stiffening-vtr1000f-15826/)

Letsrideinsc 08-15-2008 10:13 AM

STIFFENING THE VTR1000F

I saw a picture of a completely modified race vtr1000f, it had a brace constructed in between the flexed member of the frame/swingarm....basically on both sides it was attached to the swingarm pivot bolt and attached itself to the rear subframe mounting position, thus stiffening the flexed member of the chassis. Aftermarket rearsets were used as well. Anybody seen these on the market?

-Jeromy

trinc 08-15-2008 10:16 AM

if you could, please post the picture, i'd like to see what they did.

tim

FL02SupaHawk996 08-15-2008 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This works too!

Makes rear end much more stable at speed even passing trucks on the interstate...

Good luck with your mods bro!
RC

Letsrideinsc 08-15-2008 11:17 AM

I'm looking for the picture, I'll post once I find it. I think it was on bikepics.com. I am considering doing a swingarm swap, but I saw this and thought it would be a faily easy mod and maybe a worthwhile one too! One day I'll find a complete 929 or rc front end to buy too. I remember it being yellow w/blue bellypan, morowaki cans and exhaust wrap. I'll keep trying to find it.

captainchaos 08-15-2008 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996 (Post 176633)
This works too!

Makes rear end much more stable at speed even passing trucks on the interstate...

Good luck with your mods bro!
RC

Sweet! Who's the monkey who sold you that? ;) And in case no one saw it the Captain's cliTAURUS makes an encore appearance!!!

mikstr 08-15-2008 03:23 PM

I beleive you're referring to the modified frame made by Spondon in the UK. Your best bet to find a pic would be on the www.vtr1000.org site, like this, for example:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewto...hlight=spondon

Letsrideinsc 08-15-2008 03:29 PM

Nope that's not it, but basically same idea. Looks like spondon did it the correct way!

captainchaos 08-15-2008 05:11 PM

I know what you're talking about...I think...they weld plates inside the frame webbing towards the back of the frame. I've seen a few racebikes online with that mod.

FL02SupaHawk996 08-15-2008 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 176668)
Sweet! Who's the monkey who sold you that? ;) And in case no one saw it the Captain's cliTAURUS makes an encore appearance!!!

Can't remember where I got it but Captian Clit rings a bell:)

Letsrideinsc 08-16-2008 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found it...I think I attached it correctly.

RCVTR 08-16-2008 07:56 PM

The stiffening i've seen is to weld plates on the inside of the cast section in the back of the frame and gussets in the top corner by the shock cross member.

The head of the frame was also heavily braced with plates over the ribs of the head casting, plates over the head end of the extruded main side rails, and a 3rd diagonal brace forward of the other two between the side rails.

Even after that it was supposedly nowhere near as good a race chassis as the RC51.

It might make a really good improvement to a street chassis though.

EDIT***

It would make a great track chassis, too for track days. Most of us can't exceed the limits of a VTR on the track, myself included.

Little_Horse 08-16-2008 09:51 PM

does anyone have a closer shot of the rear swingarm on the wellbrock bike? I wouldn't mind seeing if its something I might be able to do.

Kelevra 09-02-2008 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Letsrideinsc (Post 176832)
Found it...I think I attached it correctly.

Looks like a Moriwaki bike..
I remember when I bought my VTR in '97, Mori had already produced a race version of it with a trussed up frame, swinger, etc.

fabiostar 01-19-2019 03:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
heres what you are looking for

Attachment 32608

heres it before i refitted the spondon swingarm

Attachment 32609

fabiostar 01-19-2019 03:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
and some of the internal bracing spondon welded in. they put a lot of internal bracing inside the frame

Attachment 32604

Attachment 32605

Attachment 32606

Attachment 32607

kenmoore 02-23-2019 02:44 AM

Just happened upon this post and I must say a big thank you to Fabio.

Not too often we get to see the workings of a Spondon frame.

Thanks for sharing mate.

I am interested because I have many mods to the suspension on my bike and have now come to the conclusion that as I push the old girl harder this may be the answer I am looking for . Lately the old girl wants to rare her head a bit out of corners and the forks feel like they are topping out over uneven surfaces under hard acceleration and some bracing of the frame may do the trick .

Thanks once again for the pics , very interesting.

I have Zx10'USD, Triumph 675 radials, DMR Rear shock and a braced swinger and the frame needs a couple of tweaks to keep up with these mods.

Once again the VTR just begs for some tinkering and fettling.

It already gives my riding buddies the shits the way it is now and that's why I still have it after almost 7 years.

A few bikes have come and gone through the cave during that time including some mentle things that were gunna kill me, but still the VTR has stayed.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason I love the VTR is that even with many mods I can thrash it. I had bikes with more power back in the 90s but the power wasn't accesable like it is on the VTR. Only inline fours had the big numbers in those days.

It's scary when I think that's almost 30 years ago.

PS Fabio, If you have more detailed pics put them up.

Cheers

The most rewarding out of 43 bikes and a blank canvas to turn into what you want.

Wolverine 02-23-2019 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 409338)
It already gives my riding buddies the shits the way it is now and that's why I still have it after almost 7 years.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason I love the VTR is that even with many mods I can thrash it. I had bikes with more power back in the 90s but the power wasn't accesable like it is on the VTR.

:iagree:

I love that 1st statement.

killer5280 02-28-2019 10:12 AM

Love those 10 year old thread revivals!

But, nice pics fabiostar.

YMRacing 02-28-2019 02:39 PM

Might I suggest that if you haven't already, upgrade the shock, the front suspension, renew your steering head and swing arm bearings