SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Spondon / Moriwaki frame and swingarm = Could be yours (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/spondon-moriwaki-frame-swingarm-%3D-could-yours-26786/)

E.Marquez 10-10-2011 02:27 AM

Spondon / Moriwaki frame and swingarm = Could be yours

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 25494
Attachment 25495

Used parts from the UK.....I don't need them, but I WANT them :D But just started a SM build up,,,, and that is sucking disposable cash from the play fund..

lloydievtr 10-10-2011 04:41 AM

ok how much and how muh to get them to me in the uk

Wolverine 10-10-2011 04:44 AM

So am I reading right, you are selling this combo?

E.Marquez 10-10-2011 05:00 AM

The guy has this frame, swing arm, and some other smaller VTR parts,, He is asking 500 pounds, or about $785 USD.. and he is IN THE UK... which is the sticking point for me.. I want, Im willing to do the buy in, but adding shipping makes it not worth the $$$ right now, I have other projects that take favor.

I’m looking at a friend bringing them back in his household goods, which would be free…. But that would mean waiting 3 months...

mikstr 10-10-2011 05:38 AM

I recall seeing these very items for sale a few months back on the vtr1000.org site and they were quickly scooped up by bigspanishmarty (a member here as well)....

E.Marquez 10-10-2011 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 315979)
I recall seeing these very items for sale a few months back on the vtr1000.org site and they were quickly scooped up by bigspanishmarty (a member here as well)....

Very well could be, the seller on the UK site has not yet responded.. But they are not listed as sold....

EDIT in JUNE https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/vtr-month-june-2011-a-25731/page3/#post313239
bigspanishmarty noted he had a Spondon frame...

And the last post in at this other location is a month before that, plus both are in the UK.
mikstr looks like you hit this one, and the seller just never updated his ad.. Guess thats why he has not responded today.

Would have been nice if he had closed out his ad.. would have saved my many hours of hand ringing and scamming to come up with a way to get these parts...

If bigspanishmarty has 1 of 6 frame / swingarm sets… who has the other 5 :evillaugh:

cliby 10-10-2011 09:38 AM

do you know if the frrame is merely braced/polished or a totally different frame. I think for all practicaly uses lighter would be great, but bracing with a stage I engine at least unlikely to be noticeable different in handling etc.

E.Marquez 10-10-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by cliby (Post 315985)
do you know if the frrame is merely braced/polished or a totally different frame. I think for all practicaly uses lighter would be great, but bracing with a stage I engine at least unlikely to be noticeable different in handling etc.

I have never seen one up close, so I can only regurgitate what I have read.

It is a OEM frame that had braces cast, then welded in place, to allow a frame support to the swing arm. This particular frame and swing arm was polished, all the other VTR- Spondon frames I've seen pictures of were grey.

There may be additional bracing done on the frame, but I'll Eve seen talked about are the frame to swing arm braces. I wont know till i get home, but I think I can reproduce them from billet. The layout is very basic... I would have to make a longer pivot bolt as well..but that too is basic layout and machining.

Finding a competent welder willing to take the job and at a price I'm willing to pay may be the hardest part. I can TIG AL, but Im not doing this job. :p

lloydievtr 10-10-2011 03:33 PM

the frame is now a bike nearly finished and looking good the build is on vtr1000.org
so its not for sale

E.Marquez 10-10-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by lloydievtr (Post 316012)
the frame is now a bike nearly finished and looking good the build is on vtr1000.org
so its not for sale

Great news (for you.. :lol: ) can you post a link? Would love to look in.

Thanks

lloydievtr 10-11-2011 02:44 AM

www.vtr1000.org • View topic - BSM's project.....UPDATE
wish it was mine
i just need to wait for the next one to come up for sale

E.Marquez 10-11-2011 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by lloydievtr (Post 316058)

Originally Posted by lloydievtr (Post 316058)
wish it was mine
i just need to wait for the next one to come up for sale

LOL. 6 made, 1 known, leaves 5 out there, likely some were junked as it was not understood what they were, some trashed, bent, broken.

That one that sold for $800.. Steal, with the swing arm included.

I really do think I can reproduce in billet the frame "ears" and the swing arm pivot bolt .. The swing arm though is beyond my skills. Modifying one or adapting another model is.

Ideally Id like to shorten an SP2…

RCVTR 10-13-2011 03:51 PM

I don't believe Moriwaki had anything to do with the Spondon chassis.

The Moriwaki chassis modification was entirely different. They welded plates on the inside of the rear chassis section and behind the headstock and added a third diagonal brace between the frame rails. Their swingarm was also entirely different. More like a 929 swingarm brace.

8541Hawk 10-13-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 316292)
I don't believe Moriwaki had anything to do with the Spondon chassis.

The Moriwaki chassis modification was entirely different. They welded plates on the inside of the rear chassis section and behind the headstock and added a third diagonal brace between the frame rails. Their swingarm was also entirely different. More like a 929 swingarm brace.

:iagree:

Also the reason for the "ears" is that once the engine get to over 130-135 HP (I'm going from memory here) the problem became that the swing arm pivots were over stressed and you destroyed engine cases. Much like the old 916's did in WSBK back in the good old days.... one race and the case was destroyed....

So the "ears" were added to address that problem.

On anything less than a full Stg. 2 build, they are not really needed and will not really add much to the handling, though they do look pretty cool.

hawxter996 10-14-2011 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 316059)
LOL. 6 made, 1 known, leaves 5 out there, likely some were junked as it was not understood what they were, some trashed, bent, broken.

That one that sold for $800.. Steal, with the swing arm included.

I really do think I can reproduce in billet the frame "ears" and the swing arm pivot bolt .. The swing arm though is beyond my skills. Modifying one or adapting another model is.

Ideally Id like to shorten an SP2…

swingarm pivot doent need to be longer.
the plates replace the rearsets.
and the rearsets would mount to the plates.

MC Leather 10-14-2011 10:41 AM

I wanted the swing-arm. I even emailed the guy who got it, he sold it fast for 300#. I love my VERY braced stocker but something about the Spondon one was super sexy. Judging by the pictures my Moriwaki braced frame has more bracing than the Spondons but without the swingarm "ears".

bigspanishmarty 06-01-2012 05:17 PM

thought i'd revive an old thread.....
i was that lucky person who bought the spondon goodies, i'm now 90% finished.
i've still got to my a 19ltr tank also painted blue with chrome decals.
sorry to say i did sell the swingarm(which i regret) but it would have meant trying to source a dymag rear wheel and sprocket carrier, i just don't have the money for that.:(
here are a few pictures of the bike.
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P5300025.jpg
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...P5300019-1.jpg
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P5300017.jpg
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...y/P5300020.jpg

MC Leather 06-08-2012 01:25 PM

It looks good!! I have the Dymag setup already. do you know who you sold it to? Did they use it? Do they want to sell it?

HRCA#1 06-08-2012 01:43 PM

I nominate BigSpanishMarty for Superhawk of the month!

GTS 06-08-2012 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=E.Marquez;316059]
I really do think I can reproduce in billet the frame "ears" and the swing arm pivot bolt .. [/QUOTE]

Ever have any luck working on this project? I just found out a guy I know just got out of school for mechanical engineering and he's got connections to peopel with CNC machines and water jets etc. and I may be able to have some of this stuff produced. Those cast pieces look sweet because they match the frame where a billet piece will look a little different but all in all it's be sweet to get done if you're planning on making some power.

Also does anyone have any pics of the bracing Moriwaki does on the frames?

MC Leather 06-13-2012 07:33 AM

[QUOTE=GTS;335230]

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 316059)
I really do think I can reproduce in billet the frame "ears" and the swing arm pivot bolt .. [/QUOTE]

Ever have any luck working on this project? I just found out a guy I know just got out of school for mechanical engineering and he's got connections to peopel with CNC machines and water jets etc. and I may be able to have some of this stuff produced. Those cast pieces look sweet because they match the frame where a billet piece will look a little different but all in all it's be sweet to get done if you're planning on making some power.

Also does anyone have any pics of the bracing Moriwaki does on the frames?

They add another bar up front near the vin sticker and the enclose all the cast pieces. They add a bunch of metal. But it seems pointless without a bunch of other mods first.

GTS 06-13-2012 09:52 AM

By a bar up front by the VIN sticker you mean another lattice in each side of the frame? Or do you mean a bar that goes from one frame spar to the other?

And by pointless wihtout a buch of other mods first you mean like swapping USD forks in the front and a more rigid swing arm in the back? Or are you talking about other mods?

MC Leather 06-13-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by GTS (Post 335648)
By a bar up front by the VIN sticker you mean another lattice in each side of the frame? Or do you mean a bar that goes from one frame spar to the other?

And by pointless wihtout a buch of other mods first you mean like swapping USD forks in the front and a more rigid swing arm in the back? Or are you talking about other mods?

Sorry, another lattice on each side.

The forks can be re-valved stockers or 900RR forks, most of the Mori bike had nice 900rr type forks, not USDs. The swing arm would need a bunch of bracing. The bike would need much more power, more than 120HP.

The big thing is it would need to be ridden hard! I don't see the point of doing all this to a street bike. For a track bike maybe, but it would have to be ridden fast at the track. I think most riders would go just as fast on a well sorted mildly tuned bike as they would on some wild Mori-like custom.

GTS 06-13-2012 11:00 AM

I kind of wonder when the mori bike was out racing what was really available. Were there much for USD forks out at the time? I've about gotten to the point of having all the parts I need for the RC fork swap. Just need a wheel at this point. I think I'm going to go with the CBR1000RR wheels. I'm also looking at doing the RC swingarm swap after I'm done with the front.

I do agree that all the mods are probably really unneeded for a street riden bike, at least for one that's not really being pushed hard through the canyons. Part of what I'm doing with mine is to make it handle better but I'll admit part of it is the cool factor and the potential of the bike.

I do plan to start work on engine mods once I get the suspension done up. Probably do the hi comp pistons, stage II cams, maybe some head work etc. A turbo would be sweet! But not sure I'm going to go that route. If I did it would definitely change the build plan.

MC Leather 06-13-2012 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by GTS (Post 335662)
I kind of wonder when the mori bike was out racing what was really available. Were there much for USD forks out at the time? I've about gotten to the point of having all the parts I need for the RC fork swap. Just need a wheel at this point. I think I'm going to go with the CBR1000RR wheels. I'm also looking at doing the RC swingarm swap after I'm done with the front.

I do agree that all the mods are probably really unneeded for a street riden bike, at least for one that's not really being pushed hard through the canyons. Part of what I'm doing with mine is to make it handle better but I'll admit part of it is the cool factor and the potential of the bike.

I do plan to start work on engine mods once I get the suspension done up. Probably do the hi comp pistons, stage II cams, maybe some head work etc. A turbo would be sweet! But not sure I'm going to go that route. If I did it would definitely change the build plan.

Close your eyes and picture Colin Edward's RC45, that was what was available. I couldn't tell you why Mori didn't use USD forks. Do what you want and have fun doing it. Just don't think it will make you faster.;). I took a look at my Mori frame, ALL the cast parts have been back plated and the headstock was braced.

GTS 06-13-2012 04:30 PM

Well yeah that's part of it to. It's fun modifying. I guess you could say I've got a an OCD towards modifying pretty much every vehicle I own. LOL! Do you have a link to a better picture of your thumbnail? When I click on it it's hard to see some of the parts that are listed on it. Also do you have any pictures of your frame gusseting? I was thinking about welding the plates inside the frame. But I was also thinking if you just weld a plate in and weld it around the outside it'll be stronger. But if you have it actually attached to the webbing in the middle it'd be stronger and stiffer yet. Was also debating weather it'd be be better to just get some aluminum round stock to make the extra frame lattice gussets or to take an existing frame, cut them out and use them on this frame. They'd match much better if you do that, I'd just want to find a trashed frame to start. Would hate to destroy a good frame!

MC Leather 06-13-2012 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by GTS (Post 335679)
Well yeah that's part of it to. It's fun modifying. I guess you could say I've got a an OCD towards modifying pretty much every vehicle I own. LOL! Do you have a link to a better picture of your thumbnail? When I click on it it's hard to see some of the parts that are listed on it. Also do you have any pictures of your frame gusseting? I was thinking about welding the plates inside the frame. But I was also thinking if you just weld a plate in and weld it around the outside it'll be stronger. But if you have it actually attached to the webbing in the middle it'd be stronger and stiffer yet. Was also debating weather it'd be be better to just get some aluminum round stock to make the extra frame lattice gussets or to take an existing frame, cut them out and use them on this frame. They'd match much better if you do that, I'd just want to find a trashed frame to start. Would hate to destroy a good frame!

PM me your email and I send you some stuff

bigspanishmarty 06-19-2012 02:26 AM

lots still to do

Originally Posted by MC Leather (Post 335202)
It looks good!! I have the Dymag setup already. do you know who you sold it to? Did they use it? Do they want to sell it?

i might be able to find the fellas details, but it was over a year ago and since then i believe he has sold it on to someone else, i do regret selling it tho:(
having the spondon frame on a road bike is overkill, you won't see the benefit until you take to the track, you also need to putting out more bhp, i believe its been said that at 130bhp the standard setup is at risk of failure due to the swingarm being mounted to the back of the engine, hence the extra frame work and bracing from spondon, this setup was only a tempory one because the sp1 hadn't arrived yet and the 916 was dominating wsbk.
if i'm honest i was just lucky that i was in the market for a frame when this one became avaliable, do you need it for a road bike.....no
but the fact that its one of only 6 ever made makes my bike special:D
as far as i know there isn't another road bike with this frame.
ian(yeti) here in the uk has a race bike which is awesome, i took a ride down to his house in the surrey countryside last month with cybercarl(uk forum members, vtr1000.org)
i think yeti said his bike was putting out 150bhp:eek:
his list of spare parts was just as impressive, carbon fibre moriwaki airbox's and alike.....
not to mention his 50th anniversery stage2 road bike and another standard road bike....very:cool:
anyways back to my bike, i've still got so much to do, and when its finished i will enter it in the bike of the month competion.
heres a list of jobs still to do.....
fit 19ltr tank
fit undretray with built in led's
fit steering damper
fit cbr900rrw front calipers (all calipers have been resprayed blue)
triumph radial front brake master cylinder and titax levers
fit hel braided front lines
re-trim seat
powdercoat the rear subframe and maybe main frame
dyno setup
re paint wheels and maybe stick on a 6 spoke rear wheel.
i'm even thinking of letting the uk's well regarded vtr tinkerer mr tony mon have a play with the engine so it puts out 120+bhp
will it ever end....
heres a picture of the undertray, it was bought from the usa originally, but i can't keep anything standard looking for long;)
https://i1143.photobucket.com/albums...y/P6170026.jpg
https://i1143.photobucket.com/albums...y/P6090017.jpg
https://i1143.photobucket.com/albums...P6080018-1.jpg