SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   The Second Incarnation (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/second-incarnation-21588/)

nuhawk 02-17-2010 07:09 PM

The Second Incarnation

Got the bike back this evening but had the op to do an on-street test before I had it delivered.

I showed up to just check on Tim's progress but to my surprise the bike was sitting outside. I arrived on the VFR so he said "you go ride it and tell me what it needs."

His original mission was to sort the jet kit, install the ignition advancer, shift kit and new stacks from Micky. After he picked up the bike and the parts, I went back to the shop to close things up and the entire stack of parts boxes was gone. The speedo-healer and the fork brace too. The PAIR block-off plates were in the same envelope as the fork brace - it's all gone.

Three days later I get a call and he says the prior idiot didn't know how to remove the carbs and he broke the choke tubes in the process. New parts $60. At the same time he advises that the bike is a little low on oil and if I could bring by a filter and oil he will change it for me while it's there on the lift. Couple days later I took him the oil and a filter that I had in stock with a check for the tubes so he wouldn't be out of pocket.

Everybody told me once I did the brakes and suspension it would be like a whole new bike. Take two - fast forward to today.

The test drive was only about 6-7 miles deep. I did go down the service road and after a few starts and stops I got up on the freeway. Ran down two/three exits and got off. Did the Uey under the bridge and repeated in the opposite direction.

Whole new bike. The evenness and effortless power delivery was the most impressive to me. High gear from 40 mph in a simple roll on to over a hundred just as easy as pie - no stumble - no puking up through the carbs - just roll it up and go. The other stuff you don't miss - bang,pop,pow on decel - gone. The clunky shift from low to second - like it was never there. It wasn't a long test but it was long enough to know that I want more time in the saddle.

I still got a little body work to do thanks to mike996 but two years of collecting parts has come to a fruitful end.

If you're in Austin or close by this young mechanic is worth his salt. PM me and I will share his contact info. He's the real deal and doesn't act like a lot of the people who are self appointed guru's.

In the meantime stay away from Northwest Powersports - they are liars, cheats and most importantly - amateurs.

captainchaos 02-17-2010 09:19 PM

Sweet! Can't wait 'till I'm there with mine...

E.Marquez 02-18-2010 04:18 AM

Doug, sounds great, happy to hear you got the Hawk sorted.

I'm out for a week or so to let the shoulder heal.. But I'll be up for a ride soon there after. Looking forward to seeing the "NEW" nuhawk

mikstr 02-18-2010 06:05 AM

Glad to hear it`s all working out for you :) Sure is nice to ride a well calibrated bike.

JDRiderCoach 02-18-2010 07:00 AM

Good stuff. It's like getting a new bike. Which shift kit did he install for ya? Thinking about one for mine. Also makes me long for some brisket and a cold Shiner Bock. I lived in Round Rock for 10 years and really miss those rides out to Marble Falls, Bandera, etc. Hey is Woods Fun Center still open? Just curious. Didn't like their service much. I used to take my bike to this guy, I think he was in Pflugerville. Been a while, can't remember. Had a barn behind his house converted to a shop. Forget his name but wondering if it's the same guy? Team Scream! yeah that was it. Good work and good prices.

nuhawk 02-22-2010 06:47 PM

My understanding is that Mark Woods sold Woods Honda Fun Center to a corp group. Same guys that own the Harley dealership next door but has since relocated to Round Rock. Are ya lost yet?

Mark moved outside his non-compete clause and bought Cycle Country in NB. Now it's Woods Cycle Country. They're active with the cycle clubs that operate on the south side.