SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Review of Dan Moto Radial Mount Brake Cylinder (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/review-dan-moto-radial-mount-brake-cylinder-26207/)

bass4dude 07-23-2011 08:15 PM

Review of Dan Moto Radial Mount Brake Cylinder

3 Attachment(s)
So I was looking for an alternative to buying a really expensive radial mt. cylinder but I also wanted the performance of said M/C.

Unfortunately, one of my riding buddies with an older GSXR totaled his bike.
Fortunately, he hadn't put it on yet (no speculation on whether more control over brakes would have saved it) so I inherited it because he's going to be buying a new CBR so he doesn't really need one.

So looking at the site, it looks somewhat less than Kosher in terms of construction but once you have it in your hands its really not bad at all.

It appears that the body is made out of milled aluminum and is marginally lighter than stock M/C. The paint on it is not quite up to par but as I spill brake fluid all over everything, I wasn't that concerned.

I was, however, concerned about both the reserve bottle they send attached on it, and the rubber inside and it's resistance to brake fluid. I took the seals out and soaked them in dot.5 for 3 days and there was zero change in size, a good sign.

Mounting the unit was somewhat difficult as out stock cup (which I was going to fit to the unit with some finagaling) and the cup that comes on it will not clear the fairing. My solution is in all of the pictures and the bracket only requires a small amount of bending, I used a bench clamp anvil and a hammer, apparent by the kind of poopy appearance of the bracket.

It did also require moving the right side controls to the left a bit because the lever did not cover the handles appropriately. It was as simple as cutting off the locating pin on the inside of the controls and scooching it over a little bit.

So all in all, it bolted up with about an hour of fussing (including bleeding system).

On to the performance, now it is a 16x19mm cylinder so I thought it was going to be a bit small paired with the 900rr calipers from Mickstr, but he did point out that it is the same size as the stock f4i.

Coming from a stock M/C and then an integrated M/C from an 84 VF1000F, it is a superb addition. I can now modulate the brakes so much easier and the initial bite of the pads is now so easy to control the maximum braking and get the wheels to chirp beautifully and can stop on a dime.

However, pushing the brakes this much has exposed yet some more suspension problems and now I have to decide between eating and riding :mad: (a very difficult choice mind you)

Looking at Danmoto's website, it looks to tally out to about $70 with shipping. The cheapest I could find a radial M/C on fleabay was around $110 and they were still a little beat up. I missed a killer deal on a really nice CBR set but ohh well, you win some and you lose some.

But all in all, for those who are on a strict budget, it is a worthwhile upgrade, however, that isn't to say that it is the BEST thing that you can buy, it is still far better than stock.

On a side note, the lever is easily adjusted and even at the minimum setting, it is difficult to get the lever to touch the bar. And as well, this unit DOES NOT HAVE A BRAKE SWITCH and as well, required a small amount of brake line between the cup and the intake on the cylinder because the orientation is further away.

I believe it is meant for track bikes (similar to the Brembo race line) and does not have anywhere to mount a switch. However, I am going to be putting a nice shiny pressure switch on the Banjo and then I'll have a front brake switch but the only times when I need someone to know that I am slowing down is when I'm on the streets and I always use my rear brake as my front suspension is not so kind with bumps under hard braking.
Attachment 25844Attachment 25845Attachment 25846

Thumper 07-23-2011 09:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Looks nice, you will like the Radial MC for sure i went a different option several years back when i converted to 00/01 GSXR 6 pot calipers and MC.

Attachment 25841
Attachment 25842
Attachment 25843