SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Replacing sprockets any special tools or or advice needed? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/replacing-sprockets-any-special-tools-advice-needed-22631/)

Bluesuperhawk83 05-23-2010 08:12 PM

Replacing sprockets any special tools or or advice needed?

I ordered a 15 front and 43 rear sprocket set and a speedo healer. Do I need any special tools or will a basic metric wrench and socket set do? From reading other posts my stock chain should work but will i have to take the master link out to get the chain off and back on? The service manual says the masterlinks are staked but ive never used that type only the clip kind.
Anyone that has done it got any tips for me to make it go more smoothly?

why is it that I can rebuild a small block chevy practicaly with my eyes closed but I am leery of changing sprockets on my jap bike lol

afm528 05-24-2010 08:55 AM

If you're removing the sprockets, then you won't need to break the chain, just put it on the new sprockets and bolt them on, very easy. Popular wisdom, however, is that you should change your chain and sprockets as a set, because they both wear out and wear on each other, so a worn chain can cause your new sprockets to wear out more quickly.

Most modern bikes (all?) don't use clips any more. You have to grind off a link, and then use a chain link tool (or a hammer and punch) to stake a new link and pin on the chain. But that's only if you must break the chain.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Also, just in case, be sure that your chain (520, 530, whatever) and your new sprockets are the same size.

residentg 05-24-2010 08:58 AM

I replaced the drive cousions too.

Grasshopper 05-24-2010 05:43 PM

I changed my tires the other night and discovered the cush drive rubbers are junk in mine as well.

8541Hawk 05-24-2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by afm528 (Post 267223)
If you're removing the sprockets, then you won't need to break the chain, just put it on the new sprockets and bolt them on, very easy. Popular wisdom, however, is that you should change your chain and sprockets as a set, because they both wear out and wear on each other, so a worn chain can cause your new sprockets to wear out more quickly.

Most modern bikes (all?) don't use clips any more. You have to grind off a link, and then use a chain link tool (or a hammer and punch) to stake a new link and pin on the chain. But that's only if you must break the chain.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Also, just in case, be sure that your chain (520, 530, whatever) and your new sprockets are the same size.

On a VTR you can remove and install an endless loop chain, no problems. All you need to do is remove the nut on the swingarm bolt, remove the left rear set and it comes right off. One of the advantages of having the swingarm bolt to the motor and not the frame. ;)

Bluesuperhawk83 05-24-2010 06:58 PM

thanks for the replies. I feel a little more confident putting them on now. The sprockets came in today and speedohealer should be here tomorrow. If im not entirely drained from work ill try to install it all. cant wait to feel the difference in the bike.

superbeater 05-24-2010 07:55 PM

not absolutely necessary, but blue loctite for the bolts is a good idea and a torque wrench never hurts. Don't need to break the chain to change sprockets.

gboezio 05-25-2010 02:46 AM

I like to change the chain when doing the sprockets, the wear pattern is haunting me at night, dreaming of accelerated wear, but it's all in my head....right ??
;)

RK1 05-25-2010 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by gboezio (Post 267404)
I like to change the chain when doing the sprockets, the wear pattern is haunting me at night, dreaming of accelerated wear, but it's all in my head....right ??
;)

Well based on my personal experience; Unless your chain has at least 12k or 15k miles on it and you haven't taken very good care of it?

Yeah, it's all in your head.

Grizz 05-28-2010 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesuperhawk83 (Post 267351)
thanks for the replies. I feel a little more confident putting them on now. The sprockets came in today and speedohealer should be here tomorrow. If im not entirely drained from work ill try to install it all. cant wait to feel the difference in the bike.

Let us know what difference it made. I've been toying with this idea for a while now as I don't find the hawk has a ton of hold on for dear life get up and go power.

residentg 05-28-2010 04:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is where you plug the speedo healer in:

Attachment 27344