SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Rear brake mods (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/rear-brake-mods-16269/)

cal2az 09-25-2008 10:44 AM

Rear brake mods

I did a search and didnt come up with anything. Has anybody on the board done a rear caliper swap of any kind?? What REAR brake mods are there besides the obvious(brake lines/pads)??

lynchie 09-25-2008 11:37 AM

Ray you dont need the rear brake.. take it off..

cal2az 09-25-2008 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by lynchie (Post 182834)
Ray you dont need the rear brake.. take it off..

...and that would fall under the catagory of Mod too...hmm... :D

MisfitToy 09-27-2008 11:35 AM

from 99-06 the CBR600f4 uses the same calipar so it might be easier to see what kind of mads they have done as Im sure the mounting is the same .

Tweety 09-27-2008 01:22 PM

Rear brake??? Goes out to bike and looks... Oh... there it is! Who knew there was such a thing...:D

MisfitToy 09-27-2008 01:30 PM

coming off a dirtbike im using my rear brakes alot

cal2az 09-27-2008 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 183102)
Rear brake??? Goes out to bike and looks... Oh... there it is! Who knew there was such a thing...:D

Ya, im right there with ya. I know, I know, its a twin, the engine is the rear brake. Im just being a mod geek and thought that there might be a better caliper for the SH. I didint realize that the SH already has the F4i caliper on it stock.

I do have a tasty little rear brake master cylinder upgrade/mod idea that im pretty sure will work :D Hint... the plastic rear reservoir and line down to the master cylinder goes bye bye. Cleaner look up in the sub frame area with the reservoir gone.

captainchaos 09-27-2008 04:32 PM

Holding an rc51 and a superhawk caliper side by side, they're identical besides the fact that the location on the brake line and the bleeder screws are swapped. And if the rc51 rear caliper fits, an r6 (I believe 06, 07 and maybe other years too) caliper is a direct swap too. The RC guys use them because they're like .00000001 ounces lighter. But if they're the same I'm not sure if they'll work or feel any different.

cal2az 09-28-2008 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 183124)
Holding an rc51 and a superhawk caliper side by side, they're identical besides the fact that the location on the brake line and the bleeder screws are swapped. And if the rc51 rear caliper fits, an r6 (I believe 06, 07 and maybe other years too) caliper is a direct swap too. The RC guys use them because they're like .00000001 ounces lighter. But if they're the same I'm not sure if they'll work or feel any different.

Thanks chaos, im going to look into that....

nuhawk 09-28-2008 11:12 PM

I think the best and only thing you can do to the rear for brake is HH pads and leave it at that. Like the others have said. The only time you use the rear in traffic is when you want to crash. I still have my "Cushman Moments" in parking lots with other cars but other than that the fronts are your friends.

Erik S. 09-29-2008 04:40 AM

I guess I went to a different course. I used my rear brake to help keep the bike up in slow speed situations. Just dragging it a little. It works in slow speed U-turns, stop signs and lights.

Thumper 09-29-2008 06:41 AM

Dirt Bike riders that ride on the street use the rear brakes much more than your typical street rider.

I drag my rear brake coming out of tight turns on the gas. This causes a gyro effect and weight transfer that pulls the bike down more and toward the inside of the turn. It's not just about stopping, the rear brake is another level of control on the bike.

Thumper 09-29-2008 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by MisfitToy (Post 183103)
coming off a dirtbike im using my rear brakes alot

+1

pigwings 09-29-2008 08:23 AM

Brake

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 183334)
+1

+1 too 2

only coming from flattrack and TT racing many years ago.

cal2az 09-29-2008 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 183333)
Dirt Bike riders that ride on the street use the rear brakes much more than your typical street rider.

I drag my rear brake coming out of tight turns on the gas. This causes a gyro effect and weight transfer that pulls the bike down more and toward the inside of the turn. It's not just about stopping, the rear brake is another level of control on the bike.

I rode and raced motocross in Northern California throughout the '90's and I too use more rear brake than the avg. street rider...even on the SH.

Truckinduc 11-02-2008 10:06 PM

anyone mount their caliper under the swingarm instead of on top? I might just do it, for no other reason to move the cg down and for looks.

sassage 11-03-2008 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Truckinduc (Post 187454)
anyone mount their caliper under the swingarm instead of on top? I might just do it, for no other reason to move the cg down and for looks.

I haven't personally, but a number have done this to their VTX's for looks. they just have to remove the caliper and place back upright to bleed teh line