SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   RC51/ SP1 conv (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/rc51-sp1-conv-27978/)

erno 04-06-2012 03:42 PM

RC51/ SP1 conv

Hi guys
Thought this place would be best to answer my question
For the guys that have done the RC51 f/end swap,how much
Of a advantage is this swap compared to a hawk f/end that has
Heavier springs,f/brace and steering dampner,
Reason is ,I am in the process in doing this mod
And I dont want to waste time and money for the same result
Any feedback would be appreciated

cheers

crf59 04-06-2012 07:17 PM

I'm sure you'll get different opinions, but I can tell you two very easy upgrades that make a huge difference. I was toying with the idea of doing the RC51 swap, but instead I installed Race Tech springs and a fork brace and that alone improves handling and braking enormously. No more front end dive, more stable, and still has a compliant ride. I highly recommend just the spring and brace mod. Gold valves are certainly bound to make an improvement, but what I did was a grand total of $200. RC51 swaps can get pricey and even the Gold Valves will add a couple of hundred by the time all is said and done. Depends on how much your wife will let you get away with. Cheers, Chuck.

smokinjoe73 04-06-2012 09:38 PM

I did both. In that I have 2 hawks & one on each. My daily rider has the race tech springs and heavier oil. Huge improvement over stock which to me was unrideable.

My "nicer" hawk (no rain, tons of mods) I did the CBR1000rr forks. It is another huge step ahead. BUT yeah way more dollars.

If you have stock now, and have more brains than money, do the springs first.

In the long run though, I want the cbr forks on my daily bike too. (although I really could just swap them)

Tweety 04-06-2012 11:05 PM

I'd say the main difference is rigidity... The stock forks with springs and goldvalves are fairly a decent suspension really... But even with a brace in place, they twist and turn... If you are really lightweigth, less than 70Kg, then it's not an issue, but for me at 90+ Kg, I couldn'tmake them stop moving in places I didn't like...

The crop of USD forks, including the RC/SP forks have more adjustability, and is more rigid by far, since the triples and outer tubes form a unit...

But yeah, it's spendy... Especially is you opt to use RC/SP parts, since they are becoming more rare... CBR 1000RR parts are more commonplace...

erno 04-07-2012 01:58 AM

Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback,my bike has the heavier springs f/brace and scotts steering dampner.
But also have a complete rc51 /sp1 f/end,
Just didnt want to go to all the hard work installing the rc51 f/end for the same result,you guys have just made my mind up.

cheers

smokinjoe73 04-07-2012 07:46 AM

What? You had one the whole time? I gotta call foul on that!

Either put it on or sell to me at deep deep discount

cliby 04-07-2012 09:33 AM

huge difference. and like said if you already have the parts.........
I will say without some work on the rear shock its really out of balance and hard to feel all the improvement. the rear stock shock is not good and very harsh.

erno 04-07-2012 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 329324)
What? You had one the whole time? I gotta call foul on that!

Either put it on or sell to me at deep deep discount

Sorry:lol: not putting it on until our winter,still too good for riding:D

erno 04-07-2012 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cliby (Post 329328)
huge difference. and like said if you already have the parts.........
I will say without some work on the rear shock its really out of balance and hard to feel all the improvement. the rear stock shock is not good and very harsh.

Have a ohlins rear,so hopefully will work well

cheers

smokinjoe73 04-07-2012 09:02 PM

Depending on what you have its a really easy swap. One weekend and its in. You cant just sit on it, even in the topsy turvey hemispherical seasonal thing.

You dont even have to remove the fairing.

erno 04-08-2012 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 329362)
Depending on what you have its a really easy swap. One weekend and its in. You cant just sit on it, even in the topsy turvey hemispherical seasonal thing.

You dont even have to remove the fairing.

cbr front wheel had to source bearings ,and do you think they have them
In OZ nooo.So coming from the uk.Had to make a new spacer for front axle,
SP1 upper so fairing has to be trimmed.
And awaiting for the apex risers to arrive.
Its just like having sex slow and patient:rotf:

Fozzy Bear 04-16-2012 05:19 AM

And I thought I had talked you out of this :D

I still reckon the bikes steering will be slower due to the reduced fork clamp offset increasing the trail.

(erno lives not far from me)

RCVTR 04-16-2012 08:55 AM

Yeah, but one of the main reasons for doing the swap is so that you can get more trail back after you have reduced the rake angle.

8541Hawk 04-17-2012 11:21 PM

If you run into any problems or have any question just let me know as i have a SP2\ with SP1 triples on my bike ;)

erno 04-21-2012 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 330095)
If you run into any problems or have any question just let me know as i have a SP2\ with SP1 triples on my bike ;)

Your going to regret saying that:rotf: