SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   RC51 full exaust fittment to a superhawk? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/rc51-full-exaust-fittment-superhawk-24369/)

apex459 12-18-2010 11:00 AM

RC51 full exaust fittment to a superhawk?

O.K. I searched the archives and only found slipon questions addressed. So if I missed it, I'm sorry. But I gotta ask. Does anyone have any experience with installation of an RC51 "full exaust" on a superhawk? I want to put the Jardine 2 into one on my bike. But dont want to waste cash on something that wont work. (although I could modify it, I'm looking for direct bolt on). I wish I had one in my posession to make the required measurements, but unfortunately I dont. Any useful feedback is mucho appreciated.

killer5280 12-18-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by apex459 (Post 288827)
O.K. I searched the archives and only found slipon questions addressed. So if I missed it, I'm sorry. But I gotta ask. Does anyone have any experience with installation of an RC51 "full exaust" on a superhawk? I want to put the Jardine 2 into one on my bike. But dont want to waste cash on something that wont work. (although I could modify it, I'm looking for direct bolt on). I wish I had one in my posession to make the required measurements, but unfortunately I dont. Any useful feedback is mucho appreciated.

I would suggest getting an exhaust system made for the Super Hawk. No, the RC51 system will not work on a VTR.

Wicky 12-18-2010 11:04 AM

no

apex459 12-18-2010 11:19 AM

I kindof thought so. Oh well. I might just stick with the dual exaust. Thanx guys....

divingindaytona 12-18-2010 02:16 PM

A couple of year ago I remember a guy that went by the name superbling had a RC51 exhaust. I don't remember if they were modded or stock. (At least in one of his versions of the superhawk), I know that he signed off, but you can still search for his posts.

t-dogg 12-18-2010 02:17 PM

You could always modify the stock SH header to route into a two into one. It really would be a lot of re-routing though. I dont think the RC header is even close to bolting right up to the SH motor. I know smokinjoe has a devil 2 into 1 on his, but it exits the left side.

Tweety 12-18-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by divingindaytona (Post 288838)
A couple of year ago I remember a guy that went by the name superbling had a RC51 exhaust. I don't remember if they were modded or stock. (At least in one of his versions of the superhawk), I know that he signed off, but you can still search for his posts.

That was the OEM VTR headers mated to OEM RC muffler... Very quiet but flowed more than stock if I remember right...

1971allchaos 12-18-2010 07:01 PM

There is NO WAY, you can put an RC-51 "full exhaust" on a SuperHawk. I will look around the shop -for that "stock" RC-51 header, and the "stock" Superhawk header. And take some photos of the two -
You will see the differents....

If you want stock RC-51 cans - Send a PM. I have two sets.......

apex459 12-25-2010 08:58 AM

I ended up modifying the stock header into a two-one, right exit. I used a gsxr 600 Yoshi titanium TRS can mated to a right side jardine hi mount mid pipe that I modified. Then repacked the can with less restrictive packing. The result is that it is a bit quieter than the dual jardine setup, louder than stock, but still sounds good, and runs great.....

1971allchaos 12-25-2010 09:50 AM

DUH, Never thought of attempting RC-51 cans on the Shawk. That is something to consider on one of the project bikes(being put back together)...

kai ju 12-25-2010 01:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what RC51 mufflers look like on the Superhawk:

Attachment 26608

Attachment 26609

AngryOlaf 12-27-2010 09:50 AM

Are the RC51 mufflers considerably lighter than the stock Superhawk units? Just curious since I am interested in moving to something lighter, but not necessarily louder.

kai ju 12-27-2010 11:09 AM

Despite being slightly larger they are a total of 3 lbs. lighter than the stock ones. They also sound different, better in my opinion anyway. And you get a different angle on the muffler, halfway between the stock ones and the way they are on the RC51.
I used the VTR midpipes and had to have the RC51 midpipes stretched slightly to fit over the VTR midpipe. If you can weld, or have somebody that can, you can just weld the muffler to the midpipe. I chose to do the clamp method as you can see in the above photo.
If you look at some of the earlier posts/pictures you can see my original brackets before I adapted the stock passenger pegs to the mufflers.

AngryOlaf 12-27-2010 11:15 AM

Thanks Kai Ju! Definitely on my list of options to consider... :)

rus32 12-28-2010 11:35 PM

exhaust mod

what you guys thinking about using RC exhaust brackets on stock pipes?

AngryOlaf 12-29-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by rus32 (Post 289472)
what you guys thinking about using RC exhaust brackets on stock pipes?

Probably more work than it's worth. I think the diameter of the RC51 pipe is larger so the bracket wouldn't fit without some modification. You would also have to cut/grind off the welded tab that is on the Superhawk pipe.