SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Radial Master Cylinder (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/radial-master-cylinder-13997/)

Thumper 03-09-2008 06:43 PM

Radial Master Cylinder

4 Attachment(s)
the Master Cylinder installed with the Caliper upgrade from last year.

2002 GSXR 1000 - 6 Pot Calipers with Vesrah Pads
2006 GSXR 1000 - Radial Master Cylinder
SS lines form the Stock VTR calipers and Master cylinder Setup

The calipers are pretty much bolt on with a small amount of grinding for clearance (documented by others on this forum).

The Master Cylinder is 10 times better than the stock one, especially on the 6 pot calipers.
Installing the MC is a little bit tricky. I was able to use my SS lines i had installed several years ago on the Stock brake system, but i required readjusting the lines. No big deal.

I had to cut off the new MC pieces that are used to keep the brake banjo bolts from spinning while you tighten them. The pieces hit the clip-on mount near where it mounts on the fork leg. I also had to drill another hole beside the stock hole in the clip-on where the throttle assembly housing positions itself. This allowed me to rotate the throttle housing forward and move the throttle cables out of the way of the new lever.

The only other modification was to use the bracket that came with the new setup that holds the reservoir. On the GSXR the bracket has a mounting point on the clip-on; of course the VTR does not have this mount. I just used the vise with some wood pieces to protect the aluminum and twisted it so that o could use the upper pinch bolt to mount the bracket/Reservoir assembly.

One nice feature is the new MC has a bleeder in the MC on top. Very easy to bleed the system and get the sucker pumped back up again.

Awesome feel and the pull is so easy!

Attachment 31062
Attachment 31063
Attachment 31064
Attachment 31065

XLSR-VTR1 03-09-2008 10:57 PM

Outstanding! Thats sweet. I'm leaning to do that if the 750 cali's dont fit. I like the 6 pots on my TL, and having the fork brace with the Racetec setup on the SH already will be really cool. I'll be curious what you think of the setup when braking into corners and the handling characteristics. Thanks for the post!

Thumper 03-10-2008 05:54 AM

Hope to find out how she really feel later this week. I was riding today, but with all the salt on the roads and afternoon showers predicted i left the SuperChicken at home.

You will notice a big difference in the RaceTech Springs and Gold Valves.....

superbling 03-10-2008 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 155134)
I just used the vise with some wood pieces to protect the aluminum and twisted it so that o could use the upper pinch bolt to mount the bracket/Reservoir assembly.

On my 2002 gixxer m/c, I removed that bracket from the reservoir and flip it. Hard to tell in this photo (same brake setup different bike/handlebar) but it's the best I have of it on this computer:

Attachment 31061

That's a cheap stick on thermometer on top of it. Bad location as it picked up too much engine heat and has since been tossed.

Stumpy 03-10-2008 08:05 AM

I am running the 2001 master and that was a big improvement. How much of a improvement do you think it would be to go to the Radial Master Cylinder?

Hey superbling what kind of gauge set is that and how does it work for you my speedo is out. need to replace it with something does the tach and all work.
Thanks.
Stumpy

superbling 03-10-2008 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Stumpy (Post 155217)
Hey superbling what kind of gauge set is that and how does it work for you my speedo is out. need to replace it with something does the tach and all work.

Thread jack:

cbr1000rr mounted to a 96VFR. Everything works except the FI light (grin). I had to use a different water temp sensor and the speedo is way off. I have yet another speedohealer coming this week that I hope will solve that.

Thumper 03-10-2008 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 155207)
On my 2002 gixxer m/c, I removed that bracket from the reservoir and flip it. Hard to tell in this photo (same brake setup different bike/handlebar) but it's the best I have of it on this computer:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...r/IMG_9565.jpg

That's a cheap stick on thermometer on top of it. Bad location as it picked up too much engine heat and has since been tossed.

Superbling, was the 01/02 a radial. I thought about getting that MC to match the calipers; however the Radial seemed to be much more advanced system so i went that way on reccomendations from some WERA racers on another forum. They actually suggested the 05 and later Yamaha R6, but i found the GSXR 1000 one for a steal so i wen that way instead.

mikstr 03-10-2008 01:35 PM

I picked up a 2005 R1 radial MC and am looking forward to trying it out. I am running RC51 (SP2) calipers and MC at the moment and the combo works great. The current MC has a 17.5 mm piston diameter while the R1 MC's is 16 mm so it will generate additional line pressure (and thus squeeze the rotors harder). Can't wait to take it for a whirl.....