SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   R6 frontend on the Superhawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/r6-frontend-superhawk-26626/)

KCar 09-14-2011 05:38 PM

R6 frontend on the Superhawk

1 Attachment(s)
I just wanted to share my latest project with you guys. I've read allot of posts on mods and have done a few of them already. I figured I should share my front end swap in case anybody looks at doing this in the future.

I had a spare set of 2006 R6 forks, triple trees, front rim, brakes and other stuff from my track bike that was lying around. Needless to say..beer and free time..parts start to come off the Hawk.

The end result...I ordered new bearings from allballz, stock 954 clipons (the woodcraft clipon with no rise would hit the gauge cluster), I used the Superhawk front brake master(I'll be looking at my spare R1/R6 master later) and clutch, R6 rim, brakes and lines, triples. It fit with no real problems.

The triple steering stops hit the bottom of the fairing stay, but it is plenty movement. The turning radius is kind of bad trying to turn the bike while off it in the garage, but riding you do not even get close. The throttle cables now rub on the fairing, but I think I can move them up or forward to fix that.

The brakes are awesome, the ride position is a little more forward and it handles great.

I just did a track day with it at VIR north, with no problems. I did take it easy the whole day, but I had zero problems out of the front end. I did not bottom out on hard braking and had no tank slappers or harsh steering. I had some bad tire wear (ripping) on the rear..but I think it is because the stock rear shock and or tire pressures.

Sorry I know its kind of bunched together but I'm not a expert forum author. Any questions ask away..now to look at the rear end. Oh and here is a pic..I'll try to get more with the fairings on.

beloden 09-14-2011 05:49 PM

nice job :thumbsup:

zmaniv 09-14-2011 05:56 PM

Damn I want to do that looks awesome.
You were able to use the entire r6 tripples and steering stem? Or did you have to swap out parts?
What tail section is that?

mikstr 09-14-2011 05:57 PM

Nice job :)

Crashrat 09-14-2011 06:01 PM

Nice!

Details?

KCar 09-14-2011 06:20 PM

Thanks
Yes both triples and stem are R6. If you look at doing this you would need both triple trees and stem, forks, front rim, axle and wheel spacers, front fender, brake calipers and lines. 954 clip-ons or other 50mm with rise (unless you remove the gauge cluster). I used the Superhawk's stock master cylinders for brakes and clutch. Oh and you will have to figure out how to mount your Key ignition..close with the R6 triple but does not fit. I slotted my key ignition to fit it, but I do not like it. I should have and most likely going to relocated it somewhere else. Then cut the hoop off the upper triple. I also thought of going keyless and mounting a toggle switch there.

The tail is a 06 GSXR race tail I modified for my R6 (it was free from a friend and I needed a tail faring at the time). I just sat it there to see what it look like. It does not fit with out some cutting of fiberglass...I going to look at that over the winter or make a new one. I can take other pictures of it... if your interested to see what it looks like for any future projects you may have..

Erik S. 09-15-2011 07:10 AM

PAY ATTENTION guys. That is now 2 (TWO) 600 front ends that swap over to the SH, with only new bearings.

Yamaha R-6
Suzuki GSX-R600

Use the whole front end and you don't have to worry about shimming for brakes, and finding the right upper triple.

For my Suzuki swap, the 954 clip-ons are the correct height also.

zmaniv 09-15-2011 09:25 AM

Yes post more pics of that tail section

8541Hawk 09-15-2011 11:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well if the steering stops are like the Honda stops on a 954 you can relieve them a bit so they can pass under the fairing stay.

It ends up looking like this

Attachment 12472

Attachment 12473

You also might need to adjust where the stop contacts depending on your radiator position and all that. The way you do that is like this:

Attachment 12474

;)

KCar 09-15-2011 05:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for posting the picture of the steering stops. They look about the same. I'll look into it, I tried to get a picture but with everything on I not sure what can be seen..I'll post it anyways.

Here are some more pics of the tail. As I said earlier it does not fit, but some trimming of fiberglass and who knows. If I get a chance this weekend I'll trim it up, should not take long. I would guess a un-modified GSXR tail might fit better, because of what I need to trim is what I added so it would fit the R6. However I would bet you would still need to mod it.

KCar 09-15-2011 05:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more pics of both front and tail.

jay956 10-02-2011 07:28 PM

might have to look into doing this.

do you know the geometry changes (length, rake)? also i see you used a set from a 06, does anyone know what years the r6 stayed the same?

nath981 10-02-2011 07:55 PM

awesome job KCar. and you even track tested it for us. Can you calculate geometry, height of front end, other limitations? Looks good!

KCar 10-06-2011 07:01 PM

Calculate geometry...hmmm if someone explains how... ill do it.

Total length of stock VTR is just under 32 and r6 is 30.5. From center of axle hole to top of fork where the oil cap meets
VTR is 31. And r6 is 29.5.

Since I mounted the clip ons under the triple I subtracted the the amount of the stock fork above the triple. I believe it was around 2 inches. That placed it at the same height as stock...I then raised them about 5mm above the triple.

Stock rake and trail is 24.9 and 3.8
R6 is 24 and 3.4...
I figured it would be around there..I did no actual measuring after install.
I hope this helps...

I have not notice anything negative..the brakes are the biggest gain I noticed even with the stock master. I would like to get it to turn in faster and not feel so heavy...but that is comparing it to the r6. I am going to play with fork height and shiming the rear. Also look at a better rear shock...

mikstr 10-06-2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by KCar (Post 315696)
..the brakes are the biggest gain I noticed even with the stock master.

IIRC, the caliper pistons in the Sumitomo calipers used on the R6 are the same as the OEM Nissins used on the VTR, that is 27/30mm.....

nath981 10-06-2011 07:39 PM

Calculate geometry...hmmm if someone explains how... ill do it.

Total length of stock VTR is just under 32 and r6 is 30.5. From center of axle hole to top of fork where the oil cap meets
VTR is 31. And r6 is 29.5.

Since I mounted the clip ons under the triple I subtracted the the amount of the stock fork above the triple. I believe it was around 2 inches. That placed it at the same height as stock...I then raised them about 5mm above the triple.

Stock rake and trail is 24.9 and 3.8
R6 is 24 and 3.4...
I figured it would be around there..I did no actual measuring after install.
I hope this helps...

I have not notice anything negative..the brakes are the biggest gain I noticed even with the stock master. I would like to get it to turn in faster and not feel so heavy...but that is comparing it to the r6. I am going to play with fork height and shiming the rear. Also look at a better rear shock...

thanks. i tried calculating geometry rake and trail and it ended up being what i call a cluster fuck. But it would be good to have some way of accurate measurement.

7moore7 10-06-2011 08:08 PM

I am going to play with ... shiming the rear. Also look at a better rear shock...

Highly recommended... shimming the rear was a very cheap and easy way to improve turn in for me... and it also just looks ready to pounce! Rawr!

jay956 10-06-2011 08:42 PM

sounds like the length is pretty much spot on then, considering most of us run with the forks pulled up slightly anyway.

KCar 10-10-2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 315698)
IIRC, the caliper pistons in the Sumitomo calipers used on the R6 are the same as the OEM Nissins used on the VTR, that is 27/30mm.....

I guessing the biggest difference in braking power is because the 06 to present r6 calipers are mounted radial and the rotors are 310mm. Of course it could all be in my head.

FLETCH 10-20-2011 05:54 PM

What steering head bearings did you use? All balls? Part number?

jay956 10-20-2011 06:22 PM

if anyone else was wondering, 06+ r6 forks are all the same.

KCar 10-20-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by FLETCH (Post 316822)
What steering head bearings did you use? All balls? Part number?

Yes they are allballz...I can not remember the part number. I believe they for the 06 to present r6...(not the R6 "S" model) I contacted allballz and asked them for the conversion. I would suggest contacting them to do your conversion. If I remember correctly the lower bearing was the only one different between the VTR and r6 and only by height. I'll check to see if I can come up with the part number and exact measurements.

Update: They are different and will not work you must get a conversion

smokinjoe73 10-20-2011 07:19 PM

I noticed the brakes the most on my 1000rr fork swap too. But I used the cbr's radial master. Insane brakes.

FLETCH 10-21-2011 10:43 AM

Ok I called all balls and they said the 30x47x15 top bearing that I should require for the swap is discontinued-part #99-3540. The bottom bearing that is required is 31x55x17 part number 99-3538 is available and I ordered it. I'm hoping that your comment about the top bearing being able to be reused is correct-which bearing though the one from the vtr or the r6? Thx

KCar 10-21-2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by FLETCH (Post 316864)
Ok I called all balls and they said the 30x47x15 top bearing that I should require for the swap is discontinued-part #99-3540. The bottom bearing that is required is 31x55x17 part number 99-3538 is available and I ordered it. I'm hoping that your comment about the top bearing being able to be reused is correct-which bearing though the one from the vtr or the r6? Thx

Well I am very sorry...I was wrong the top and bottom bearings are different. The 99-3540 part number is the one you need for the top.

I think I might still have the stock R6 bearings...but no outer race (the one you press into the steering neck) If you can come up with a outer race I'll pass them onto. Perhaps the dealership can order them. I am sorry I lead you to believe it might work, I honestly did not remember.

Cafe Racer 10-21-2011 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by KCar (Post 316869)
Well I am very sorry...I was wrong the top and bottom bearings are different. The 99-3540 part number is the one you need for the top.

I think I might still have the stock R6 bearings...but no outer race (the one you press into the steering neck) If you can come up with a outer race I'll pass them onto. Perhaps the dealership can order them. I am sorry I lead you to believe it might work, I honestly did not remember.

So, you are running with an OEM R6 bearing and race? And an All Balls lower bearing?

Miguel

KCar 10-21-2011 03:30 PM

No they are both allballz.

Now that I have thought more about it...the VTR bearings do not work at all. The steering stem is a different diameter. What was close was the stock r6 bearings I had and the VTR inner race. I still cant remember which one...my thoughts are if you get a stock r6 inner race it should work. Even the allballz r6 replacement I would think it should work. But don't take my word for it....ill do some research on the part number he posted. If a new part number replaced the old I dont see why it would not work. Maybe they have not updated there list for conversions yet.

Someone help me with my logic.. ill pull the numbers tonight or tomorrow.

FLETCH 10-21-2011 03:56 PM

The top bearing is the 30x47x15 size. Couldnt really find anything with the all balls part number. I started searching and found lots of people are looking for that size bearing for conversions-belive I found another source twf racing which modifies sv650's. Emailed earlier to order the bearing listed at $45. A couple other options came up when i was searching. Get the 30X48X15 bearing and have it machined 1mm to get the 47mm OD. Another was to use a 30x47x12 part # hr32906j and use washers or some spacers to take up the extra 3mm of width. Saw one comment on using 30x47x9 sealed wheel bearing but didnt feel comfortable with the amount of side load involved with steering head bearings and keeping them tight.

FLETCH 10-21-2011 04:08 PM

TWF Racings bearing is 13mm not 15mm wide so i would have to shim it i belive-think ill order it and once its here go from there.

KCar 10-21-2011 05:11 PM

That might be your best bet. I could not find any info as a replacement. It does seem allot of people are looking for a replacement or something else. I found some dirt bikes are using that bearing size for their fork conversion. Did allballz give you a idea that they would get a replacement?