SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   question about the superhawk sprocket setup (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/question-about-superhawk-sprocket-setup-8081/)

macworld 02-01-2006 11:19 AM

question about the superhawk sprocket setup

just a quick question about the superhawk. i have bought a 98 that still has the stock gearing. my 97 tls had 17/38 stock gearing, and i took it to a 17/40, and it was very wheelie happy. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. my question is, with the stock gearing already at 16/41 for the hawk, do you even want to go lower on gearing, or is that just a waste of time. please give any info you have on this subject. thanks

mikstr 02-01-2006 11:49 AM

Re: question about the superhawk sprocket setup

final gearing is merely the last step in a long equation that includes primary gearing, transmission ratios, and rear wheel diameter. Don't get wrapped up in reading too much into the actual number of sprocket teeth. To answer yoru question, many feel that the VTR is overgeared stock and can benefit from gearing down. the two most common changes are to go to a 15 at the front (down 6.25%), or a 43 at the back (down 4.6%)

cheers
Mikstr

Loco 02-01-2006 12:23 PM

It depends on your use. If you are taking it to the track, you probably want to keep it close to stock. But, if you are riding on the trails and higways, I like the extra boost you get from changing the gearing towards the torque side. It's probably the most common mod people do to their Superhawks, besides turn signals, exhaust and air filter.

superhawk22 02-01-2006 12:57 PM

depends on the track, I went to 15 43 and love it for the track I ride because there's a lot of tight stuff in the back section. I can still keep close on the staight and then eat 'em up in the twisties. I bought a 41 tooth for the rear as well but I want it more for the stret because I'm always looking for 7th gear. I think the -1 in front should be good for the street but it's all personal taste. I think it made a huge difference though, I've owned the bike since 2000 and put this on for the first time at the track. The first session out it nearly put me on my ass for the first time since the day I bought it. Kinda embarrising doing a 12 o'clock wheelie down pit in.

vitter 02-20-2006 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot (Post 16010)
I think the -1 in front should be good for the street but it's all personal taste.

that is what I have, -1 in the front and it is pretty well perfect.

My buddy had a 97 TLS, with one down in the front and one wheel up in the front, those 97s were freakin fast.

superhawk22 02-20-2006 11:44 PM

My regular ridding buddy had one of those as well, kicked my ass every time on the 1/4 mile. That was a fun bike and had an unfair rap for tank slapping. Then they de-tuned it because of a few lawsuites because newbies decided to buy and wreck 'em. Too bad.

AZZKIKER 02-21-2006 05:21 AM

I only have a 43 in the back and I love it. Perfect for the combined highway/street. Wheelie happy too. i can only imagine what a 15 in the front would do, wouldn't be able to keep her on the ground.

Loco 02-21-2006 08:06 AM

Ask CNI Dawg what a Superhawk does with a 15/43. He has had a front row seat to the show several times!

AZZKIKER 02-22-2006 07:02 AM

Care to elaborate CNI Dawg?

Randman 02-22-2006 02:43 PM

I can answer that one for ya....LOCO is a crazy man....Every time I check my mirrors, all of him I see is his oil filter and belly pan....lol....

AZZKIKER 02-22-2006 03:14 PM

I wanna see proof, where are the pics? LOL

woodman 02-22-2006 04:08 PM

I went to a 43 in the rear and like it.

vitter 03-17-2006 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot (Post 17192)
My regular ridding buddy had one of those as well, kicked my ass every time on the 1/4 mile. That was a fun bike and had an unfair rap for tank slapping. Then they de-tuned it because of a few lawsuites because newbies decided to buy and wreck 'em. Too bad.

the real reason they detuned it, was that it was lighter than the 1998 TLR, and made the same power, so suzuki could not have an S model faster than the R model.