SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Question about drilling stock cans (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/question-about-drilling-stock-cans-21030/)

ranchomice 12-16-2009 04:10 AM

Question about drilling stock cans

So (again) I'm new so forgive me if I sound ignorant cuz I am! I hear talk about this sound mod of drilling holes in stock cans. My un-educated guess is that they are drilled between the actual outlet and the beauty ring (for lack of a better term) that surrounds the outlet. Streight into the small flat section between the two "rings". Am I correct in my assumption? If I am, must the cans be removed from the bike to do this or do guys just send shards of metal into the chamber to flail about? Also after this is done, however it is done (looking for a yes or no) would you want to spray some high temp black paint in there to hide the hack job from the cops? All coments, laughter, insults whatever welcome!
Wise man asks for what he needs, dumbass never gets it.

uchi 12-16-2009 04:38 AM

youre right, thats all you do is just drill some holes. i found with 4 holes it sounded puffy, with 1 it sounded good. but it gave me a flat spot in my mid range. they didnt look too bad from the back, if you space the holes evenly itll look fine.

NCDave 12-16-2009 05:16 AM

Another option is to take a long metal rod, like a piece of rebar with a point on it. Slide it down the muffler, then use a hammer to drive it through the baffle at the end. It's a common thing for v-twin cruiser guys who want just a little sound, but not loud.

nath981 12-16-2009 06:51 AM

welcome :) and don't worry about being ignorant cause there is no cure. It's a common condition we all share, although some of us are ignorant of this fact.

you might want to tell us what mods are done or is it stock. If you don't know, you either have to check the plug/pipe color to read the rich/lean condition or get in there and find out.

I drilled mine out the biggest holes possible and as many and then eventually cut these out just leaving three spokes to hold the center from coming loose. That provides a good sound that's not too loud. I wouldn't go any further than this if you don't wear earplugs and/or you don't do carb/PAIRS mods.

A year later i cut those 3 spokes and took the rear baffles out leaving the others in and it's loud, but not obnoxious. i wouldn't recommend removing any baffles this unless you wear good earplugs faithfully and fully inserted.

Use the search function and you'll find a wealth of info on this.

ranchomice 12-17-2009 04:46 PM

Bike is bone stock. I'm the guys who broke a valve with record low miles, 1439 to be exact! Yeah that's 1,439! Bought the bike from a guy who rode it one time and parked it in his garage. It sat for 3 years as he couldnt register it (and he's about 350lbs, 6'8") I picked it up, got it home, changes fluids, fired it up (after cleaning carbs) and it had a little noise in the front head but nothing big. Rode it 30 miles (had no power) and bang. Evereyone is saying CCT failure. Seems to be the logical explanation, I just dont see how that happens at under 1,500 miles! Oh by the way, ruined a piston and valve seat. Needless to say after all is said and done, It has APE manual cam chain tensioners!!!!

uchi 12-17-2009 05:23 PM

my buddy had his 2010 triump daytona 675 for i think a week when a valve failure happened. didnt even hit the 1000 km mark, lol

nath981 12-17-2009 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ranchomice (Post 247226)
Bike is bone stock. I'm the guys who broke a valve with record low miles, 1439 to be exact! Yeah that's 1,439! Bought the bike from a guy who rode it one time and parked it in his garage. It sat for 3 years as he couldnt register it (and he's about 350lbs, 6'8") I picked it up, got it home, changes fluids, fired it up (after cleaning carbs) and it had a little noise in the front head but nothing big. Rode it 30 miles (had no power) and bang. Evereyone is saying CCT failure. Seems to be the logical explanation, I just dont see how that happens at under 1,500 miles! Oh by the way, ruined a piston and valve seat. Needless to say after all is said and done, It has APE manual cam chain tensioners!!!!

you can probably get away with either drilling large holes all around or or even just leaving 3 tabs to hold center and see what the plugs are looking like after you run it for a bit.

Originally Posted by uchi (Post 247235)
my buddy had his 2010 triump daytona 675 for i think a week when a valve failure happened. didnt even hit the 1000 km mark, lol

no so bad when it's covered under warranty, but if it isn't...................