SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Progress report (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/progress-report-14151/)

mikstr 03-26-2008 05:08 AM

Progress report

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,

My winter/spring mods are moving along. After messaging Roger Ditchfield at Revolution Racing in the UK, I elected to go ahead with the CBR900RR front-end (which means I'll be looking to part with the SP-2 forks I bought). He kindly gave me valving and spring specs to use so I am just waiting on the seals I ordered before sending the tubes off to a buddy's place to have the work done.

I am still looking to find a set of Helibars for the CBR forks but will likely resort to installing a set of handlebars instead. I will be having the steering bearings replaced with tapered rollers at the same time as the forks get installed. In the braking dept., I picked up a set of HRC hard bite pads to fit to my SP-2 calipers and may also add an R1 radial MC.

I completed my 2-1 exhaust conversion yesterday. I had picked up a Blue Flame dual port high-mount can for a 98 R1 on eBay and, after some cutting and praying, managed to fit the link pipe so as to mount it up to my Micron support. I cut the headers at the joint of the two pipes and cleaned out the welds with the dremel before re-wrapping the pipes. Incidentally, I found the dyno chat below from a chap who also did a 2-1 conversion. I am looking forward to firing it up to see how it runs.

I got my PVM wheels back from the powder coater and they look awesome (fire-engine red). I just picked up new C3 bearings with low-friction seals and amlooking forward to having those installed too.

That is all for now. Looking forward to riding :)

cheers

Thumper 03-26-2008 05:42 AM

Sounds awesome looking!

Pictures please, we need to drool

sassage 03-26-2008 06:15 AM

:worthless:

can't wait to see it :)

mikstr 03-26-2008 06:47 AM

gentlemen, gentlemen,....

the pics will come, but it is still a work in progress :)

mikstr 03-26-2008 08:42 AM

I just finished snuggling everything up on the exhaust and, well, I had to fire it up, he he

Let's just say there is a nice bark to the ol' girl now :) The Blue Flame can is about 3" shorter than the Microns and it is alone in doing the job now. It should sound sweet out on the road :)

Can't wait to get the rest of the mods out of the way now....

SlowHAWK 03-26-2008 10:05 AM

Mikstr...

Can I request some good shots of the 2 into 1 work you did when you break the camera out.... I gotta do the same eventually for my VFR swingarm swap exhaust... I'm planning on using a CBR1000RR muffer up under the tail.

J.

DocPigskin17 03-26-2008 10:31 AM

And here I thought my fromt fork mod this spring was a big deal. Man, you know how to do it right. I guess I have to start thinking bigger!!!
Bump on the pics of the 2 in 1.

mikstr 03-26-2008 11:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi again gents,

I basically just chopped off the header just after the collector (just before it splits again). Fortunately, the short section of pipe there is 2" in diameter or the same as the R1 link pipe. Looking at the pic of the can and pipe below, I fastened the end of the link pipe located in the lower left to the header then cut it at swingarm level. I then attached it to the part that has been cut with a joiner (2" i.d. to 2" i.d.) whoich allowed me to rotate the pipe clockwise slightly and cut off the last four inches of the pipe (with the larger diameter). The position is virtually identical to that of the former Micron pipe. Total cost: $5.49 for the link pipe and three exhaust clamps ($13). One final thing, the blue of the pipe matches the bike so it looks sweet. Can't wait to lace up the PVM's....

BTW, I spent a few hours cleaning up the header (cutting it gives good access to what is the most restrictive and sloppiest part of the assembly) so that alone should do wonders to improve the air flow.

DocPigskin17 03-26-2008 03:43 PM

+1 on the exhaust. Nice wheels as well. Where did you get them?

mikstr 03-26-2008 03:59 PM

I picked up the wheels on eBay at the end of last summer. I am quite looking forward to installing them because they are quite light :)

mikstr 03-27-2008 08:12 AM

I just picked up a radial front MC from a 2007 CBR600RR last night too. It is the same diameter (11/16" or about 17.5 mm) as the SP-2 unit I have now so I will be well positioned to make a direct comparison regarding the power and feel difference between a radial and axial MC. Although I am still limited to the stock 296 mm rotors (due to my fork choice), I am hopeful that the HRC pads and new radial MC will give me pretty impressive braking performance. The new sturdier forks, stiffer springs and recommended valving should allow me to use it more fully too :)

BTW, I will have a whole slew of parts coming up for sale in the near future (Helibars, fork brace, SP-2 MC, freshly repacked Micron slip-ons, CBR900RR rear wheel.....)

mikstr 03-30-2008 05:17 PM

Hi again,

picked up a set of Helibars for a Triumph Daytona 955 yesterday on eBay so the buying is finally over. Let the deliveries get done, the installations too and we'll soon be on the road.

Now I just have to get rid of a whole slew of spare parts......

nuhawk 03-30-2008 05:50 PM

Good news, Mick! Bring on the list - it's vulcher season! :p

mikstr 03-30-2008 05:56 PM

I have to head out now (going down to Tennessee to test ride a new bike...) and will post a complete list when I return. Here is a partial one:
- front MCs (stock and RC51/SP-2 units)
- front calipers (stock and 1998/99 CBR900RR)
- stock front-end
- SP-2 fork and axle
- Heli-bars (stock)
- stock clip-ons
- stock windshield and Cut down NC Cycle Cheetah touring shield
- SRC fork brace
- Micron slip-ons (freshly repacked, high-mount model)
- and more

IN all fairness, I told a local buddy here I would give him first dibs but I know he won't need all of it so I'll keep you guys posted.

Gotta run :)

mikstr 04-05-2008 04:21 PM

I took the old girl out for her first ride of 2008 today. The exhaust has a real authoritative sound now, perhaps a bit too much so (might get in trouble with the donut crew...). I will take the can apart and re-pack it in the hope that will help a bit. I noticed that my re-installation job ran afoul a bit as the copper exhaust gasket on the front cylinder was not in properly so I had an exhaust leak out the front cylinder (made it pop on deceleration). The engine seeme dto run well and pull nicely in the mids. It will be hard to make a final analysis until the leak is fixed, however. First impressions are that it may need a bit of a re-jet in the very bottom (air screw?) but it seems to pull a bit better in the mids. I will run it on teh dyno shortly and thatq should give me a real picture.

Still waiting on the Helibars and radial MC. Once those come in, she'll be off to the dealer to have everything installed. I can't wait :)

cheeers

Tweety 04-05-2008 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 158582)
Still waiting on the Helibars and radial MC. Once those come in, she'll be off to the dealer to have everything installed. I can't wait :)

cheeers

The dealers??? What you gonna do there???

You mean you are going to give them a buch of parts from different bikes and tell them to put it together???

If so... no offence meant... but then you are off your rocker... :eek:

mikstr 04-05-2008 06:40 PM

I can understand your concern but I have a great dealer (head mechanic is a former Canadian Superbike racer and really knows his stuff). They have done most of the work on my bike to date and have always done excellent work. Besides, I don't have a garage to work in so I have no choice (one of the pleasures of living in an apt in the city)....

mikstr 04-07-2008 05:27 AM

I did some research regarding the 900RR calipers I have and found out the piston diameters are 34/32 mm, which makes them larger than the 32/30 mm SP-2 calipers I am now using. I will thus be mounting them up (and parting with the SP-2 calipers) along with the 600RR radial MC. The larger diameters will help generate additional squeeze and, together with the new MC and HRC pads, should make for a real kick-ass braking system... :)