SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Polishing up on my suspension know how (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/polishing-up-my-suspension-know-how-34317/)

Fastguy59 12-24-2016 10:22 AM

Polishing up on my suspension know how

1 Attachment(s)
Prepping the damper rods by disassembling the rebound stacks, dressing the threads, and 5 element polishing of the tubes outer surface, the bottom one is done the top one awaits my attention... All this in preparation for a trip to see my pal Mike Weber (Ducati tuner extraordinaire) for shim stack assembly. While I am fully capable of building these out myself, Mike will show me his tricks all the while giving me the knowledge of all the science of how and why shim stacks work... That is priceless!

Cadbury64 12-24-2016 06:58 PM

Would be great to hear what your final setup is. I've changed out the fork parts in all three of my Hondas, generally using Racetech or Daugherty parts, and have tried a number of variations of shim stacks.

Currently using a Racetech C32 and Rh16 pattern in the VTR with 0.85 spring, using a Showa 3-port compression valve and Gold Valve for rebound. Similar but with 0.9 springs, Daugherty compression valve and rebound Gold Valve in my VFR (using CBR600F4i forks, but the internals are all the same size). My ST1100 is a work in progress with 0.9 springs, Daugherty compression valve C32 shims and the OEM rebound valve with Rh17 shims.

Fastguy59 12-25-2016 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cadbury64 (Post 400064)
Would be great to hear what your final setup is. I've changed out the fork parts in all three of my Hondas, generally using Racetech or Daugherty parts, and have tried a number of variations of shim stacks.

Currently using a Racetech C32 and Rh16 pattern in the VTR with 0.85 spring, using a Showa 3-port compression valve and Gold Valve for rebound. Similar but with 0.9 springs, Daugherty compression valve and rebound Gold Valve in my VFR (using CBR600F4i forks, but the internals are all the same size). My ST1100 is a work in progress with 0.9 springs, Daugherty compression valve C32 shims and the OEM rebound valve with Rh17 shims.

I'll let you know where I end up originally I was going to use the racetech .90 springs but after talking with Mike he felt that it would be slightly oversprung for the stree so I am shifting to .85's both rebound and comp valves are racetech stacks are t decided on as of yet

Fastguy59 12-25-2016 04:58 PM

Cadbury,
Racetech recommended.90 springs, with a C35 compression stack and a rH 16 rebound stack, we will see what Mr Weber comes up with!

xeris 12-26-2016 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fastguy59 (Post 400051)
Prepping the damper rods by disassembling the rebound stacks, dressing the threads, and 5 element polishing of the tubes outer surface, the bottom one is done the top one awaits my attention... All this in preparation for a trip to see my pal Mike Weber (Ducati tuner extraordinaire) for shim stack assembly. While I am fully capable of building these out myself, Mike will show me his tricks all the while giving me the knowledge of all the science of how and why shim stacks work... That is priceless!

To clarify for me, does "5 element" mean you're using 5 different compounds to achieve the final finish?

Fastguy59 12-28-2016 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 400072)
To clarify for me, does "5 element" mean you're using 5 different compounds to achieve the final finish?

Yes, starting with 1000, then 1500, then 2000 grit wet and dry lubricated by light macine oil. Followed by Rollite coarse prepolish, then Rollite metal polish. Decontaimnatsd with rubbing alcohol... Smooth and slippery

Fastguy59 12-28-2016 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cadbury64 (Post 400064)

We ended up with the C35 stack and a restrictor of 00.09 and a rebound of rH16 and a .85 kg/mm spring, 5wt oil. I'll try and remember to post how I like it next spring

Cadbury64 12-28-2016 08:42 PM

Thanks Fastguy; what do you mean by the restrictor?

CrankenFine 12-29-2016 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fastguy59 (Post 400110)
We ended up with the C35 stack and a restrictor of 00.09 and a rebound of rH16 and a .85 kg/mm spring, 5wt oil. I'll try and remember to post how I like it next spring

:kneel: uh... I just send all my suspension problems to Jamie and he fixes them...