SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Opinions and ?s on new parts? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/opinions-s-new-parts-14330/)

snowboarding_champ 04-11-2008 07:21 PM

Opinions and ?s on new parts?

I would like some of your professional opinions on these ideas.....
-I wanted to add a power commander to my bike to hopefully add some hp what do you think? If you like the idea what kind or where do you recomend getting one.
-I have read about peoples reviews on the aftermarket air filters and heard goods and bads so not sure what to do.
-Thinking about adding a rear brake hand lever. What exactly would i be looking for and where to look? Ebay maybe?
-Need some new tires too. I want somthing that handles nice and has great grip. What are some suggestions?
Thanks for any help!

Syclone 04-11-2008 07:29 PM

first off, this a serious post?

secondly, the VTR is carbureted, not fuel-injected, so a power commander wouldn't do you any good.

snowboarding_champ 04-11-2008 07:54 PM

yea this is a serious post. seeing as how i know a lot about mechanics (that is sarcasm). Someone told me that a power commander would add 5-15 hp. i never even heard about one but started to look them up and found they are expensive. Since you seem to know so much about them why don't you enlighten me on what they do exactly and what bikes they are used for.

GeMs 04-11-2008 08:56 PM

Power commanders are for bikes with Fuel Injection. Our bikes still have carbs, which if you want to get an after market filter and slip on exhausts, you would have to re-jet them. Re-jetting carbs is like what a Power Commander does for fuel injected bikes. It controls them electronically, and uses different maps, where we use different jet, needle sizes, and clip positions. If you want and extra 15 hp you would have to do internal mods like pistons, porting+polishing, and full exhaust systems. I've never heard of having a hand brake for the rear on a Superhawk, and dont really know why you would want one? Is this your first bike?

vtrstunta 04-11-2008 09:02 PM

-power commanders are for fuel injected bikes. which the VTR isn't.
-best thing you can do is exhaust, and (everyone has their own opinions about aftermarket filters, but i personally have K&N and BMC's), and take it to the dyno for them to tune the carbs. (talk to the dyno shop beforehand and order the correct factory pro or dynojet needles and slides)
-a handbrake: dont get one. PERIOD. if yours serious about stunting, then learn how to use the foot rear brake, get idle wheelies down, slowing wheelies way way down, BEFORE you ever get into even thinking about needing a handbrake. (but if you don't heed my advice, look at http://www.haibikeshop.com/)
-pilot powers

ps: the hawk isn't a good stunt bike, trust me.

vtrstunta 04-11-2008 09:03 PM

gems beat me to the first couple things!

snowboarding_champ 04-11-2008 10:26 PM

thanks

i heard the pilot powers were awesome. i did more reading on the power commander and you are all right and that this guy i thought was a motorhead is an idiot. this is actually my first sport bike. i've rode dirt bikes and cruisers all my life. 99 gsxr 600 make a good stunt bike? and i have erion racing exhaust that already has been jetted and set-up for it. just looking for any other options to really give it it's full potential.

lazn 04-11-2008 11:31 PM

If you already have the exhaust and jet done, that's about all you can do with it other than a major rebuild (several grand$$).. Then the crank is only good for ~130hp before it starts breaking.. So the ~110 is you are at now isn't too bad. Basically to improve the SH you look at comfort, suspension and brake upgrades as the wonderful lump of an engine is done tweaked by honda already.

drew_c14 04-12-2008 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 159349)
So the ~110 is you are at now isn't too bad.

Where did that number come from?

GeMs 04-12-2008 07:22 AM

Yeh, I thought it was more at the 100 mark.

lazn 04-12-2008 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by drew_c14 (Post 159361)
Where did that number come from?

random guess. :P

It's probably about that at the crank.