SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Newbie with lots of ?'s about upgrades (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/newbie-lots-s-about-upgrades-14104/)

Micah 03-22-2008 07:48 AM

Newbie with lots of ?'s about upgrades

I found you guys while I was looking for parts on the net. You all are awesome! I'm in Kyrgyzstan right now, Air Force, I'll be back in the States in mid summer and I have lots of ?'s about upgraded parts. I have an '04 chicken with 2 bros slipons, k&N air filter, and jetted it, I'm stationed at Hill AFB and the altitude is about 3600 ft. I was looking and found a bunch of parts and was wondering if you all thought it would be good to put on or if it wasn't even worth it. Here are the parts; Factory Pro Evo shift kit, Race Tech Gold valve kit, Race Tech Rebound Gold valve kit, Race Tech fork springs (.90, I weigh 190lbs). Those are the parts. I also have been reading about removing the PAIR system, redirecting carb vents, ohming out the TPS to 500ohms. I was wondering if anyone could send me instructions on how to do these things? I'm a transportation mechanic for the Air Force (not that good but I do know my way around), I work on everything that has wheels or tracks, just nothing that flies, that freaks me out, other people's lives in my hands. I like to tinker with my own stuff and make it better. I'm not a kneedragger or anything but I do like to have the best, its like an addiction. Please give me any thoughts on what I'm doing. Thanks in advance.:D:confused:

drew_c14 03-22-2008 08:12 AM

Welcome. I wouldn't replace anything unless it needs to be. Like if you get home and ride for a while and say "my suspension really sucks", then it's time for valves and springs. If not save your money and enjoy!

superbling 03-22-2008 08:13 AM

Poke around this mod section and you'll see what's good for the ol' bird. The fork upgrades are very worthwhile; almost mandatory. Warning: once you do this, the shock will suddenly feel poor.

What about brakes? Going fast is good, stopping fast is better! Lots of choices here and if nothing else get SS lines and HH+ pads.

Please, please, please read the Knowledge base forum. TONS of info like a how-to on the TPS (did you get that memo?) mod.

Condor 03-22-2008 08:16 AM

welcome man,

I'd think you might be able to get some cool shit for it over there.
The most dangerous place the Air Force sent me to was Atlanta.
Beat that. what's that...you cant? ....that's right.

AIR POWER.

Condor 03-22-2008 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 156694)
I like to tinker with my own stuff :D

I like to do that sometimes, too.

Micah 03-22-2008 11:04 AM

This is actually my 5th tour since the war started in Iraq (which I have been to 3 times already). It is nice that I'm in a place were no one is shooting at me though. I also am not sure what weight of oil I should use in the forks? I will check out the knowledge forum though, thanks for the help.

alive226 03-22-2008 12:01 PM

Welcome to the forum. And thanks to all of you who are or have served our country.

divingindaytona 03-22-2008 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 156694)
I have an '04 chicken

I guess that 'bling didn't catch that, he didn't make one comment about it!

drew_c14 03-22-2008 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 156736)
This is actually my 5th tour since the war started in Iraq (which I have been to 3 times already).

Must be really short tours, 5 in 5 years.

Micah 03-23-2008 05:33 AM

Most of the tours are 4 months but now they are 6, and I don't care what anybody says being away from your family and everything you know for even 4 months is hard.

8541Hawk 03-23-2008 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 156832)
Most of the tours are 4 months but now they are 6, and I don't care what anybody says being away from your family and everything you know for even 4 months is hard.

Good thing you never joined the Corps..... :rolleyes:
Oh and welcome.....

DocPigskin17 03-26-2008 10:34 AM

Mods

So I have done mulitple mods on my 98 SH. I would have to say, my favorite mod so far was the sprocket/chain upgrade. Really made a big difference. Waiting for Greg to do my front forks so I am anxious to get the bike back together and get it out on the rode.

Micah 04-02-2008 11:36 AM

I'm unsure about doing the chain and sprocket change. I don't want to be rapt out on the hightway, but I wouldn't mind the extra take off!