SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Newbie,Greetings, Akra Exhaust? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/newbie-greetings-akra-exhaust-14081/)

redshirt 03-19-2008 02:22 PM

Newbie,Greetings, Akra Exhaust?

Greetings all, my friend and I both just purchased our first VTR 1000F's.

Both are Red, 2000's and have less than 19,000 Kilometers.

His came with Hindle exhaust and mine is completely stock.

What pipes do you guys think sound the best, I ask because Its the biggest reason we bought these bikes. I've had enough of the F4i's and 600's no power around town. In Canada if you go 50k over the limit (130 in an 80) you loose, 10 grand, your bike and your license. So 4 bangers are out!

I was leaning towards akarapovic ( heard it on youtube). I 'd like to find something that tucks away as much as possible.

Thanks!

Blue Ridge Boy 03-19-2008 02:29 PM

Do a search and you'll be able to find out EVERYTHING you want to know about exhausts for the Hawk

Dave in NY 03-19-2008 02:29 PM

Umm....you might find the VTR tops out about the same or maybe slightly higher than modern 600s...It's just as easy to lose your license with the VTR as any other sportbike. Might even be easier, because the big twin doesn't really feel like it's working hard, the way a four does at high rpm!

That said, I love the low end and all-around torque the twin has, and have no real desire to jump on a four-cylinder sportbike; mine does everything I need it to, and gives me big smiles every ride. Enjoy!

drew_c14 03-19-2008 02:46 PM

Exhaust is all personal opinion. I have Devil with no baffles and love it, try and find sound files on youtube before you decide.

skokievtr 03-19-2008 03:38 PM

no canuk jokes? too easy

redshirt 03-19-2008 04:08 PM

I'm surprised a-boot the fact there are no Canuck jokes either eh?

I've never heard anything other than hindle in person so I was wondering what your opinoins are.

Anything that makes it sounds like a deep loud muscle car! (you know like my 5.slow liter 91 GTA,,,, if it ran) I'm thinking carbon might help.

Also I heard video's on youtube with no exhaust, I likey! Has anybody ever just put a straight exhaust on them? ( like a Harley but.........good)

Condor 03-19-2008 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 156360)
no canuk jokes? too easy

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...c/spock_eh.jpg

Take off, hoser!

Mr Toad 03-19-2008 08:15 PM

I also have to contend with the threat of Bill 203 every time I go for a ride. If you think you have less of a chance to lose your license on your Firestorm than on a 600 SS, you may be sorely mistaken. I'm running TB's slip-ons, and there is not a more glorious sound and feel than when I drop the hammer and run it through the gears, quite addictive.

If rode like that in-town or on the 400 series highways I'd get nailed sooner or later. Remember, the OPP now has an aircraft dedicated to patrolling the 400, and they're gonna try real hard to justify it's costs! Have fun.

divingindaytona 03-19-2008 08:59 PM

We have ways to make you pronounce your O's.

redshirt 03-20-2008 02:12 PM

I'm still in denial,

They only reason I let myself buy this bike is because it a calm V-twin cruiser,

The police think loud red bikes are cool,,, and will never pull me over.

The plane is my friend and is only there to land and help me with directions to the nearest donut shop when I signal him.

When I get my insurance quote I'm sure its going to be nice and cheap.

What could possibly go wrong?

:D

RCVTR 03-20-2008 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by redshirt (Post 156444)
I'm still in denial,

They only reason I let myself buy this bike is because it a calm V-twin cruiser,

HAHAHAHAHA

Yer phunny

nuhawk 03-20-2008 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 156446)

Yer

:gay:

:laughing2::laughing2::laughing2: :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Mr Toad 03-20-2008 06:03 PM

Sorry pal, I think you're at the wrong forum. You're looking for the "VT1100", forum. But they don't let just anybody join, you've got to send them a picture of your frilly, ass-less chaps to prove you're a real biker!

nuhawk 03-20-2008 06:40 PM

Bout fell off the chair Toad! Good one! Still laughing my ass off.

redshirt 03-21-2008 05:13 PM

I'm glad some one has a sense of humor on this site! and It wasn't all wasted.

Assless chaps eh? I'll ask Mr. Toads husband If I could borrow them for a ride.

I contacted Akrapovic, Yosh and Super pole to see what they still offer for the VTR1000F.

nuhawk 03-21-2008 05:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In all seriousness, the consensus is that Carbon Fiber is the lowest in tone. That I likey! Problem is they are the most likely to rattle apart on the VTR.

The consensus is that D&D and their clones are the loudest. This attracts a lot of undesirable attention but is like loud clothing - cagers stay away from you.

Then you have the cereal aisle. Akro, Jardine, Micron, Leo Vince, TuBros and Yosh - the whole slew are better than stock for flow but are not distinctive in sound.

The person that has the most insight on this is probably Capt Chaos. He has tried a bunch of different setups on a bunch of different bikes and is a regular here.

I'm tired of my Jardine street cans in Polished Aluminum and I don't think their products are anything to brag about. Their quality is admirable but does not stand out like much of their competition in the cereal aisle.

Their customer service is another version of arrogance.

I do like where their midpipes place the cans up tight to the tail section although like their ego - the cans are too long.

What I am suggesting is exactly what I did to the Interceptor when I bought it. I took one of the D&D's that I originally bought for installation on my Superhawk down to the muffler shop and told the shop manager, "I want it to end up here."

$60 and a case of beer later I have an exhaust that will part the traffic when I need to beat cheeks.

I've also gotten compliments from all sorts of other riders about the sound and the looks. I get all sorts of complaints from people who ride behind me.

nuhawk 03-21-2008 05:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just realized after posting these that the first two were before I cut the "parson's nose" off the tail section.

I think I'm going to try somebody else's cans on my mids.

If anybody has some experience with CF above 5k to 10k miles, I would like to hear it. There's a reason the stockers weighed so much!

Jeepingoose 03-21-2008 06:30 PM

I have Yosh CF cans on mine... have owned the bike over a year and they were on it for at least a few years before i got her. No problems that im aware of, I DO need to repack them but other than that... nada

nuhawk 03-21-2008 06:58 PM

Do me a favor. Measure the length of the can only and lmk. I will also get an approx on the pipe dimensions. Inspect your cans for wear at the rivets if they are present. This is the failure point on the TBR's run by the PO. Thanks!

Dave in NY 03-22-2008 04:13 AM

Yosh stainless cans here - if anything, they're a little too mellow sounding for my tastes. It's nice to be neighborly and all, but I'd like a little more bark to' em.

...currently I'm lusting after the high mount Jardines, just 'cause they look cool.

redshirt 03-22-2008 06:40 AM

I'm guessing the size of the can is important as well, the bigger the lower the tone?

I did that search on this forum and somebody mentioned the D&D and devil were not well made? ( I always thought they were decent)

So far I'm still a little lost, But I know I will be looking for a big set of carbon cans, and I guess I will have to find somebody to put them where i want them.

Still looking for the Loudest deepest cans available!

peterpanic 03-22-2008 07:15 AM

hi all, 1st post. love this shit. riding ebay special 2002 SH. have staintunes that I got from same place as the instruments. was trying to figure out what I LOVED about the sound. chase scene in Bullitt. hope I don't lose a hubcap.

nuhawk 03-22-2008 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dave in NY (Post 156669)

...currently I'm lusting after the high mount Jardines, just 'cause they look cool.

I have the Jardine Hi-Mounts as you can see in pics above. The sound is too mellow for my taste. If you'd like to try mine they are only a year old but I want to keep my mids as I have had them Jet-Hot coated like the header. The brackets go with the cans as do the spacers so you can retain the pass pegs.

If you're interested in working something out lmk. You can get the high-mount mids for $90 each from Jardine. You can get them in chrome but I think the price quoted was for mill-finish stainless.

JesseW. 03-22-2008 06:14 PM

i had a left yoshi carbon come apart on me, it had about 30,000 miles on it. i have jardine high mounts with race baffles right now and love the sound. but i also had the left can come apart with 5,000 on them. luckly, i just drilled new holes between the others and pop-riveted it back together, then used a big band clamp and a peice of rubber to stablize it on the passeger peg hanger. i think i may shorten them up this summer by about 3 inches

blackvtr 03-23-2008 05:47 AM

While in Laconia for bike week i heard several superhawks on weir beach. Jardine, Yoshi, Stock, and d&d. but none of them sound as LOUD as my Vance and Hines. might have something to do with the fact that i have no packing left in my pipes. (p.s. the fact that it shoots blue flames when you ride a night is AWESOME!) problem is you can't find them anymore, eh? but like drew c14 said earlier, its a personal opinion, so look on you tube for video and sound clips... good luck.