SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   new shock (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/new-shock-32703/)

twist 11-08-2014 10:50 AM

new shock

I recently bought a FOX clicker shock from captainchaos, great seller and all around super dude. I'm amazed at the difference it makes on the bike, it's like a different bike. Now I'm dialing it in and I notice how much the front end needs adjustment, too. I have Jamie's springs in front but the old settings don't feel right after the FOX shock. I can adjust the rider height so now the VTR turns in faster. It's like the difference between riding a hardtail frame and a modern sprung rear end. Thank you captain!!

Killemall 11-08-2014 05:39 PM

Interesting. Did you end up with too much sag on the fork after mounting the new shock? I'm planning to run the same setup. I already have the JDM front and I just bought a Fox TC. I'll probably send it to Jamie for a proper setup but I'm curious to hear what settings you'll settle with.

xeris 11-09-2014 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also have installed a Fox TC. The change is astounding. There is a couple of threads about the best performance mod, and IMO a shock upgrade is it.
I was lucky that the shock had the right rate spring for my weight so when I sent it off the Jamie I didn't have to re-spring and valve it, just fresh seals and N charge.
I am at 11 clicks out on the rebound and compression is at 3. I have no index mark for the compression so take that for what it is. I think that I need a little more rebound damping have adjusted to 9 out, but have not tried it out yet.
If you don't already have this:
Attachment 17958

JamieDaugherty 11-10-2014 07:17 AM

If you only did springs then it's your problem - you really need to address the valving in the VTR forks. Springs alone are not a solution, and in some ways are actually a step backwards. I think what you are probably feeling is the ill-effects of the stock valving.

Keep chassis adjustments to a minimum. Do not lower the front and only raise the rear a couple of mm. Any more and you might think it feels better but your actual handling performance will suffer.

NZSpokes 11-10-2014 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 380296)
If you only did springs then it's your problem - you really need to address the valving in the VTR forks. Springs alone are not a solution, and in some ways are actually a step backwards. I think what you are probably feeling is the ill-effects of the stock valving.

Keep chassis adjustments to a minimum. Do not lower the front and only raise the rear a couple of mm. Any more and you might think it feels better but your actual handling performance will suffer.

I dont think anybody mentioned forks?

waltr 11-10-2014 10:34 AM

twist

Now I'm dialing it in and I notice how much the front end needs adjustment, too. I have Jamie's springs in front but the old settings don't feel right after the FOX shock.
Killemall

Interesting. Did you end up with too much sag on the fork after mounting the new shock? I'm planning to run the same setup. I already have the JDM front and I just bought a Fox TC.

JamieDaugherty 11-10-2014 10:58 AM

Correct, I thought the OP's question was concerning the performance of the front end.

twist 11-10-2014 05:03 PM

I think the shock needs to be adjusted for rebound damping as it wallows a tad in turns, especially the exit. The shock is set at 9 clicks out and compression damping is set at 5.

I'm sure I could use the re-valving in the front end but didn't have the cash at the time.

Killemall 11-11-2014 08:24 AM

Good info. Thanks for sharing. My Clicker is on its way to Jamie. My fork has JDM valves and springs. I can't wait to try this setup :)

If the rear seats higher with the Fox TC, wouldn't that shift the bike weight ratio slightly to the front and therefore require adjusting the sag on the fork?

JamieDaugherty 11-11-2014 09:34 AM

Adjusting the ride height does not actually change the weight bias any measurable amount. It does, however, affect the dynamic effects. For example, during corner entry or corner exit the suspension will behave slightly different when you change geometry. Sag is not affected.

JamieDaugherty 11-11-2014 09:37 AM

Something to keep in mind is this: more often than not a problem with the front will be reflected as a bad feeling in the rear (and vice versa). If you have stock valving in the forks don't expect the shock to perform to its best ability.

CrankenFine 11-11-2014 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 380334)
Something to keep in mind is this: more often than not a problem with the front will be reflected as a bad feeling in the rear (and vice versa). If you have stock valving in the forks don't expect the shock to perform to its best ability.

Jamie - this is like the same conversation you and I were having after I installed the F4i shock. I also have a stock front end other than .90 Sonic springs so my subjective experience of a wallowing rear is the same as noted here. I followed your advice increasing preload and compression on the shock and noticed improvement. I still need to get the front forks valving addressed.

nnjhawk02 11-16-2014 05:59 AM

When I did my suspender change, I didn't Fcuk around. I went to local experts.

New springs, valves to go along with the Ohlins, and then dialed in the settings to my weight, with me on the VTR. I've never looked back. Best mod evuh.

twist 11-16-2014 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02 (Post 380433)
When I did my suspender change, I didn't Fcuk around. I went to local experts.

New springs, valves to go along with the Ohlins, and then dialed in the settings to my weight, with me on the VTR. I've never looked back. Best mod evuh.

there's a local shop here that does great work in that regard. I thought of Jamie but for the money it's easier and cheaper to do the work locally, I'm going to do what you did.