SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   New MIG exhaust (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/new-mig-exhaust-17325/)

lazn 01-25-2009 11:06 AM

New MIG exhaust

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 29902

Video of before, and after, with a bit of straight pipes in there..

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...e/th_Pipes.jpg

lazn 01-25-2009 11:08 AM

Hmm, I need to take some more pics with the seat on there.. lol

inderocker 01-25-2009 11:20 AM

Sounds great, nice and bassy!

RoofCleanPhenom 01-25-2009 11:23 AM

Sounds like a meaner beast now :)

Looks fantastic, too.

RI-redhawk 01-25-2009 01:43 PM

how much? and where can i get em'? Sounds awesome!!!

alive226 01-25-2009 01:52 PM

sounds great!

lazn 01-25-2009 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by RI-redhawk (Post 197360)
how much? and where can i get em'? Sounds awesome!!!

I got them for a steal off of Ebay.. with some damage that YRUYUR and I fixed. MIG no longer exists so to find another set is hit or miss.

captainchaos 01-25-2009 04:07 PM

Looks awesome! Those are real nice pipes. Get out some elbow grease and wetsand and polish up that header to match and it will really look the business ;)

lazn 01-26-2009 11:16 AM

On this note, I have a question..

How can you tell when the mufflers need repacking?

The material as seen from the end is still white and very dense.. does that mean it has all gotten pushed down, or that it is still fine?

motojoe 01-26-2009 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice. Bought a set back in August. Jumped on it when I saw them.

Here is how I set up my tag & turn signals. Not much room back there but it works.

5tu 01-31-2009 06:04 AM

I've got the same cans on mine looks great best looking/ positioned pipes in my opinion but too quiet for my liking - but then again I'm anti social :)

Just working out what it'll take to remove end baffel (if thats possible) or strip the inners out completely and put it as straight through. Has anyone else stripped them? As Ive drilled the rivets out but the can is being stubborn and still won't come apart and for once I'm being careful - mainly due to not having spares if it does go wrong

Hotbrakes 01-31-2009 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 5tu (Post 198097)
I've got the same cans on mine looks great best looking/ positioned pipes in my opinion but too quiet for my liking - but then again I'm anti social :)

Just working out what it'll take to remove end baffel (if thats possible) or strip the inners out completely and put it as straight through. Has anyone else stripped them? As Ive drilled the rivets out but the can is being stubborn and still won't come apart and for once I'm being careful - mainly due to not having spares if it does go wrong

Did you try taking the rivets on the inlet side of the can off? IIRC the end caps aren't designed to come off sometimes.

Those cans just made your bike! I love how flush they are with the tail. Too bad MIG went under, I think it was a one man operation in the UK. I've got a set of oval MIG's for the RC51 that I made support brackets for and put on the 'Hawk.

RK1 01-31-2009 10:16 AM

Migs sound good. Don't understand your problem with bearing arms against rabbits. The first thing I ever killed with Grandpa's 16 gauge Ithaca side by side was a rabbit. It was delicious!

5tu 01-31-2009 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes (Post 198107)
Did you try taking the rivets on the inlet side of the can off? IIRC the end caps aren't designed to come off sometimes.

Those cans just made your bike! I love how flush they are with the tail. Too bad MIG went under, I think it was a one man operation in the UK. I've got a set of oval MIG's for the RC51 that I made support brackets for and put on the 'Hawk.

Yep tried both ends to no avail - but I am being cautious at the moment as no spare cans (got some standards today just waiting to arrive) With the link pipe being fixed it is difficult to get leverage to pull without damagig either the pipe or can :(

But I might have another cunning plan and ditching the cns all together cutting them off at the cap and adding some stubby slip ons with slash cut caps. So keep the high and tight look, but plenty of noise :D

Hotbrakes 01-31-2009 11:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well before you go hacking on those sweet things, take a look at these. I cut the stockers right where the main muffler part is welded. Inside the smaller expansion part is a perforated core which provides some acoustic resonance versus harsh straight pipe sound.
Attachment 29897
I used baffles similar to the far one pictured, the inlet was about 1".
Attachment 29898
Attachment 29899
I had to drill some additional holes to allow more gas to escape and I'm still working on getting it where I want. They aren't too loud either. At least not what you would expect.

5tu 01-31-2009 12:02 PM

Hmmmm thats given me somethin to think about - cheers

Wheres the extra holes you've drilled?

I suppose I could always get the pipe bender out and fabricate some high level pipes based on the ones I have save cutting them - just need to work out the best grade pipe

Hotbrakes 01-31-2009 03:03 PM

Around the main outlet hole. I used a small drill bit to poke some holes around it.

5tu 01-31-2009 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes (Post 198141)
Around the main outlet hole. I used a small drill bit to poke some holes around it.

Got me thinking now - I could poke a few holes down the end on the MIG's then they'd still look the same but hopefully a bit noisier

reaper 01-31-2009 03:30 PM

I have ridden with Hotbrakes with this setup and these pipes are not as loud as one might think.

Hotbrakes 01-31-2009 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 5tu (Post 198145)
Got me thinking now - I could poke a few holes down the end on the MIG's then they'd still look the same but hopefully a bit noisier

No, that's called an exhaust leak.

If you want louder cans get D&D's. They will probably hook right up to the MIG mid pipes.

lazn 02-01-2009 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 5tu (Post 198115)
Yep tried both ends to no avail - but I am being cautious at the moment as no spare cans (got some standards today just waiting to arrive) With the link pipe being fixed it is difficult to get leverage to pull without damagig either the pipe or can :(

But I might have another cunning plan and ditching the cns all together cutting them off at the cap and adding some stubby slip ons with slash cut caps. So keep the high and tight look, but plenty of noise :D

I removed my tips (to repair them) just fine.

Drilled the rivet heads off, then used a hammer and nail to tap what's left of the rivet out of the way and then pulled the tip off.

slpcrf450x 10-31-2010 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes (Post 198155)
No, that's called an exhaust leak.

If you want louder cans get D&D's. They will probably hook right up to the MIG mid pipes.

Yes the D&D's are loud. That is what's on
my hawk. Sometimes I actually with they were quieter but when you want to make noise they are there!

justinity 11-01-2010 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes (Post 198119)
Well before you go hacking on those sweet things, take a look at these. I cut the stockers right where the main muffler part is welded. Inside the smaller expansion part is a perforated core which provides some acoustic resonance versus harsh straight pipe sound.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...s/IMG_0789.jpg
I used baffles similar to the far one pictured, the inlet was about 1".
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...s/IMG_0788.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...IMG_0808-1.jpg
I had to drill some additional holes to allow more gas to escape and I'm still working on getting it where I want. They aren't too loud either. At least not what you would expect.

Nice Hotbrakes, Do you have a sound/video clip of your exhaust?

SuperBlink 01-06-2011 07:08 AM

Got the same set of pipes, whoever said they are quiet really MUST be anti-social. When i start my bike in the morning a car alarm goes off 3/4 or a block away, every morning.....

lazn 01-06-2011 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by SuperBlink (Post 290133)
Got the same set of pipes, whoever said they are quiet really MUST be anti-social. When i start my bike in the morning a car alarm goes off 3/4 or a block away, every morning.....

Quiet? No. I have been looking for a set of quieter (but still lightweight) pipes since I got these, they are as loud as D&D's.

jay956 01-06-2011 03:40 PM

Migs are awesome

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1596737_n.jpg