Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

RC 51 Swing Arm or NOT

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 05:29 AM
Back Marker

Bald Eagle is on a distinguished road
RC 51 Swing Arm or NOT

OK people out there....referring to the Senior members...Can you fit a 00-01 RC 51 SP1 swing arm on the VTR.
I have purchased one for cheap money and was going to see how difficult this task was going to be. I know you can get a 900RR swing arm and cut the brace off it and just weld it on your existing swing arm....but I like the looks of the RC 51 arm...and I am someone that likes challenges. It will complete my "Bird of Prey" track bike and give it a professional look ....as if I know how to ride...even when I am in last place.
Look forward to the answers...
Old 09-26-2018, 05:41 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Yes its been done more than a few times
Its not bolt on...at all.
You need custom made linkage, welding the shock mount, a shock that fits, new bearings, axle and brake caliper mount

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...arm-mod-20391/
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...rm-swap-17889/
Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
If you're going to go through the trouble and expense get an SP2 arm, it looks a hell of a lot better. Asking if you "can" do it falls under the heading of anything can be done with enough fabrication skills and money. The front of the swingarm needs to be completely custom fabbed to fit on the Superhawk. My experience was awful and expensive if anyone cares...

I had a forum member build me mine many years ago because he "claimed" to be an aircraft engineer and "claimed" he had a jig to build another after showing his bike off and being I believe the first one I remember seeing do it. Wallet full of money later and it shows up. And it doesn't fit. And it goes back to Boston. And it comes back. And it still doesn't fit. And dipshit falls off the planet with almost $1000 of my money. So off to Thunder Cycles (you know, from the Discovery Channel biker build offs) where they proceed to **** it up even worse. Cue up de-rigour condescending bearded tatted up douche bag... "WE ONLY WORK ON V-TWINS." "Well that's completely irrelevant but it IS a V-Twin ********." (The embarrassed/frustrated/WTF look he gave me was PRICELESS). So off to a 3rd shop where I got so frustrated I BOUGHT another Superhawk and dropped it off WITH the swingarm and said "don't call me until I can ride the bike home."

End result it DID work and it DID fit, though it was an extremely tight fit to the shock because unlike others I've seen I built mine to keep the stock wheelbase. If I did it again I'd leave a LITTLE more room at the expense of having the wheel stick out another inch. And after all that it's now sitting on a shelf collecting dust... But after the $500 polish job I did myself it sure looked badass lol.

My 2 cents, if you're not doing to fab work yourself, know someone who is completely capable of doing it for you and/or have a bunch of patience and money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd either go the very straightforward 900rr brace route, or just buy an RC51. Again that's just my 2 cents...

Last edited by captainchaos; 09-26-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:48 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Edited my previous post with some additional ranting...sorry... And I won't even start in on "MR. BILLET" on a public forum...

My point being it CAN be done and HAS been done. But 99 out of 100 people who WANT one aren't going to be doing the work themselves or know someone they can trust to do it right. Do you trust some random guy who claimed he could weld when you're leaned over at 140? Yeah that's what I thought lol, me neither... And most shops sadly aren't honest enough to simply say they CAN'T do it properly. They just take your money, fumble F&$k it up and then you'll be left hanging. Seen it too many times before with much more routine work.

Last edited by captainchaos; 09-26-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:39 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
And most shops sadly aren't honest enough to simply say they CAN'T do it properly.
I cant do it properly

https://www.facebook.com/WeBuildAdventure/

OK I cant do it properly all in house, I have trusted folks that can do the parts I can not.....
Old 09-26-2018, 09:30 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
I cant do it properly

https://www.facebook.com/WeBuildAdventure/

OK I cant do it properly all in house, I have trusted folks that can do the parts I can not.....
HAHA neither can I! Unfortunately I haven't been that lucky, because while I don't have a lot of money, I don't mind paying top dollar for QUALITY work.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Back Marker

Hey Captain with 2 cents...I guess it is better than 0 cents....You are right....$%@&*. I am glad you are not my wife...!! I would be eating those words right to the grave.
I have the RC51 SP1 swing arm...and I can see there is too much for me to make this work, financially, and would I really be able to notice the change to what I have already. It is not if I am sliding the rear wheel around corners. I just like to go to the track.
So let me get a 900RR swing arm, and do the necessary chopping and welding and leave it at that.
Hey you know anybody wants to try what I thought would be good....I have a really good RC51 SP1 swing arm for sale...all painted up, with even the rear wheel shaft.

Ta Ta for now
From the Eagle.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:43 AM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle
Hey Captain with 2 cents...I guess it is better than 0 cents....You are right....$%@&*. I am glad you are not my wife...!! I would be eating those words right to the grave.
I have the RC51 SP1 swing arm...and I can see there is too much for me to make this work, financially, and would I really be able to notice the change to what I have already. It is not if I am sliding the rear wheel around corners. I just like to go to the track.
So let me get a 900RR swing arm, and do the necessary chopping and welding and leave it at that.
Hey you know anybody wants to try what I thought would be good....I have a really good RC51 SP1 swing arm for sale...all painted up, with even the rear wheel shaft.

Ta Ta for now
From the Eagle.
Want to sell me your SP swingarm? Got a pic?
Old 10-11-2018, 04:52 AM
Back Marker

Hey Ace
Yes...it is up for grabs.
Let me get some pics on this thread so you can decide if you want it. I am busy all the way till the weekend and will not be able to get some photo's of the arm till then.
Later...
Old 10-18-2018, 06:01 AM
Back Marker

Hey Ace
Attached is the Photo of the SP1 Swing Arm. As seen in the pic It will also have chain guards, chain to swing arm rubber protection and the Rear Wheel Shaft with adjusters. I have it dismantled so I could give it a paint job, but will take a photo assembled when the paint hardens up. I am looking at $80.00 plus what ever the shipping is to your destination.
Later...
Attached Thumbnails RC 51 Swing Arm or NOT-imag0984%5B5113%5D.jpg