SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   moving rads for fork swap (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/moving-rads-fork-swap-24783/)

seb421 02-20-2011 08:14 PM

moving rads for fork swap

hi guys I've had a full 954 front end on the bike for ages now

but MOT time is in a few weeks and if they notice the clamps/trees are touching the rads before the stops then it will fail

I have no tools to machine parts etc,

what do you guys suggest I buy to move the rads back by say 10mm or something,

I know tweety has done this, what did you use / do

can you help please, cheers mate

zwoehr 02-20-2011 08:27 PM

You can stick something to the stops to keep the clamp from hitting the radiator hoses. Or you can take a piece of aluminium stock and drill two holes about 1/2 inch apart, bolt them to the rad mounts and then bolt the rads to them. You will need 8" or so of aluminium a couple of bolts and nuts, a drill and 20-30 minutes. Do yours actually hit the radiators? Mine just barely touch the connector hose at full lock.

seb421 02-20-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by zwoehr (Post 293883)
You can stick something to the stops to keep the clamp from hitting the radiator hoses. Or you can take a piece of aluminium stock and drill two holes about 1/2 inch apart, bolt them to the rad mounts and then bolt the rads to them. You will need 8" or so of aluminium a couple of bolts and nuts, a drill and 20-30 minutes. Do yours actually hit the radiators? Mine just barely touch the connector hose at full lock.

yeh it touches the hose, but this is a mot fail over here in the uk :(

cheers for the advise

SlowHAWK 02-21-2011 07:33 AM

Check out what I did a few years ago...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ight=radiators

There are two options... in my second post, you'll see i added a machine screw to the triple to hit the stop before the forks hit the hose.

AND

Further down you'll see how I did the rads.... but this is not as cut and dry as just sliding them back with new brackets, you may find interference with the fan and the fairing bracket depending how far you move them.... I think I moved them about 1/2-3/4" back.... it's been awhile.

J

seb421 02-22-2011 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK (Post 293895)
Check out what I did a few years ago...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ight=radiators

There are two options... in my second post, you'll see i added a machine screw to the triple to hit the stop before the forks hit the hose.

AND

Further down you'll see how I did the rads.... but this is not as cut and dry as just sliding them back with new brackets, you may find interference with the fan and the fairing bracket depending how far you move them.... I think I moved them about 1/2-3/4" back.... it's been awhile.

J

Nice one mate that looks to be a life saver of info for me, also your bike looks sweet mate!!

another question, same topic

i see you have done both mods, the screws on the stops and the adjustment of the rads,

idealy i can only realy do the rad's unless time off work

i have a small garage, its cold, plus there are other bikes in there so not much room

if i just do the rad adjustment like you, will that be enough to stop the clamps touching them before the stops on the frame

cheers again!

lazn 02-22-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by seb421 (Post 293980)
if i just do the rad adjustment like you, will that be enough to stop the clamps touching them before the stops on the frame

It should be enough.

SlowHAWK 02-22-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by seb421 (Post 293980)
Nice one mate that looks to be a life saver of info for me, also your bike looks sweet mate!!

another question, same topic

i see you have done both mods, the screws on the stops and the adjustment of the rads,

idealy i can only realy do the rad's unless time off work

i have a small garage, its cold, plus there are other bikes in there so not much room

cheers again!

If my old brain recalls correctly..... I needed to do both as I didn't want the forks to touch the rad hose at all. I was being picky and didn't want to make one drastic mod, but instead went with two minor mods (triple and rads back). I moved the rads back as far as I thought made sense and still looked good. I then tapped the triple "stops".... this allowed me to place a socket head bolt in the tabs and add/remove washers to get the steering stop exactley where I wanted it. You should also "rotate" the rad hose back so it pushed up against the frame.... that will give you a little space as well.

Instead of tappnig the triple, you coudl epoxy small shims/washers on it or the frame as a temporary solution as well if you just need to get yourself through an inspection. They don't nearly check that much here..... horn, lights, tires have tread.... see ya!!!

J.