Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Suspension Upgrades - New Options and Pricing!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Suspension Upgrades - New Options and Pricing!

It's Spring and the riding season is getting into full swing. It's a great time to get your suspension ready! Right now I'm running a couple of special offers to help get your SuperHawk dialed in:

Forks
$310 - New springs and revalve. Compression valving replaced and the stock rebound valves used with new shim stacks. The price includes all parts and installation.
$375 - Full fork upgrade including new springs, new compression valving and new rebound valving. This is a full setup! The price includes all parts and installation.

Shock
$195 - New spring and street revalve. Valving piston is replaced with a higher flow version for better performance and new shim stacks matched to your application.
$275 - New spring and full revalve. The valving is replaced with a high flow piston and shim stacks to match. This is great for trackday and very aggressive street riders.

*** These prices are only good until June 1, 2011. After that please e-mail for current prices. ***

Thanks guys!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Getting my forks off to send to you soon!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Squid

mrmhrm9598 is on a distinguished road
Where can I get the info to ship my shock to you?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
For anyone on the fence... I, for one, HIGHLY recommend Jamie's work! His shock conversion/revalve is one of the best upgrades I've added to my Superhawk!!!

Last edited by AngryOlaf; 04-22-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Punctuation/grammar
Old 04-22-2011, 12:27 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mrmhrm9598
Where can I get the info to ship my shock to you?

Here is the shipping address:

9406 Lower Huntington Rd.
Fort Wayne, IN
46809-9746

If you ever forget, it's at the bottom of every page on my site. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Squid

mrmhrm9598 is on a distinguished road
I noticed the website after I posted the question. When do you think your VTR section will be up?
Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mrmhrm9598
I noticed the website after I posted the question. When do you think your VTR section will be up?
Well, considering that I'm working 7 days a week right now just to keep up.... I doubt it will be anytime soon.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Jamie,

Shoot! If this was available about a month ago I'd have sent my rear shock already. But now it's so close to good riding weather, and there's been so precious little to date, I'll be waiting til riding season's over. Reading lots of positive comments about your work, so it is something I am looking forward to.

But a question for now -today I rode to work in gusty winds and I noticed couple momentary bob & weave twitches from the front end. Will suspension upgrades improve crosswind stability? Normally the bike is rock solid on the superslab, even with passing 18 wheelers. But we had winds gusting 20-30 mph here on hilltops today.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:29 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by CrankenFine
Shoot! If this was available about a month ago I'd have sent my rear shock already. But now it's so close to good riding weather, and there's been so precious little to date, I'll be waiting til riding season's over. Reading lots of positive comments about your work, so it is something I am looking forward to.
I do have some stock VTR shocks available that I can offer on an exchange basis. Hopefully that will help!

But a question for now -today I rode to work in gusty winds and I noticed couple momentary bob & weave twitches from the front end. Will suspension upgrades improve crosswind stability? Normally the bike is rock solid on the superslab, even with passing 18 wheelers. But we had winds gusting 20-30 mph here on hilltops today.
A good suspension can help a little, but nothing is going to take away the forces of nature!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
I do have some stock VTR shocks available that I can offer on an exchange basis.
JD- I may be interested in that option. Can you PM the details of cost and deliverables? My exisitng stock shock is 2002 with 4200 miles on it.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Squid

FLETCH is on a distinguished road
I HAVE MY F4 SHOCK READY TO SEND OUT TO YOU BUT WAS WONDERING ON THE STREET VALVING VS. RACE OR AGRESSIVE VALVING FOR USE WITH MY SH. DOES THE PRICING INCLUDE THE RACETECH GOLD VALVE KIT? BOTH SAY THE PISTON IS REPLACED. ALSO I WAS GOING TO ORDER THE RACETECH SPRINGS AND GOLD VALVE KIT FOR MY FORKS AND DO THEM MYSELF TO SAVE DOWNTIME, ITS NOT TOO DIFFICULT IS IT? OR AM I BETTER OFF LETTING YOU (SOMEONE WITH MUCH MORE EXPERIENCE WITH SUSPENSION) SET THEM UP FOR ME?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM
SuperBike

JD- I may be interested in that option. Can you PM the details of cost and deliverables? My exisitng stock shock is 2002 with 4200 miles on it.
PM sent. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:15 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by FLETCH
I HAVE MY F4 SHOCK READY TO SEND OUT TO YOU BUT WAS WONDERING ON THE STREET VALVING VS. RACE OR AGRESSIVE VALVING FOR USE WITH MY SH. DOES THE PRICING INCLUDE THE RACETECH GOLD VALVE KIT? BOTH SAY THE PISTON IS REPLACED. ALSO I WAS GOING TO ORDER THE RACETECH SPRINGS AND GOLD VALVE KIT FOR MY FORKS AND DO THEM MYSELF TO SAVE DOWNTIME, ITS NOT TOO DIFFICULT IS IT? OR AM I BETTER OFF LETTING YOU (SOMEONE WITH MUCH MORE EXPERIENCE WITH SUSPENSION) SET THEM UP FOR ME?
Something to keep in mind is that I am not using a RaceTech valving kit. I am using pistons that are of my own design. Going this route has allowed me the same performance with increased flexibility. I can do RaceTech valving but the prices would be higher. To answer your question: the prices quoted include all parts and labor. The only additional charge would be for return shipping.

As for the forks, it's probably best to let someone with experience with the VTR get you setup. Besides needing the right tools, it helps to know what works and what doesn't. I install valving configurations that I have found to perform well on this bike - which are not the same as the "published" settings. This helps eliminate the trail-and-error process and gets you dialed-in right out of the gate.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Jamie,

I just picked up my shock today. It looks great and I can't wait to install it and take it for a ride. I'll post after ride thoughts when I get a chance. Thanks again and it was a pleasure doing business with you.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Squid

Bullyaw is on a distinguished road
Hi JD,,,,, u have leave me drooling for what u can do on the stock VTR shock. I lived in Singapore, is one hell of a distance from where u r.... But will you be able to shipped one re-worked shock to me while i send u my brand new stock VTR shock for an exchange & off cos the total amount on the labour & parts involve.

Thks.

Last edited by Bullyaw; 05-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Jamie,

I just wanted to let you know that I only went for a short ride the other day. I went to fill it up with gas and take my 12 yoa son on a short 10 minute ride. Wow what a difference. No jarring, no bouncing, just a nice compliant ride. What I really noticed was that I didn't notice the suspension, now with Greg's forks and your rear re-worked SH stock shock. Not noticing the suspension allows you to concentrate on other things.......Like the road and just riding.... With my son on board, I was not getting after it and it was just a short ride, but I wanted to say thanks for offering your services.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by alive226
Jamie,

I just wanted to let you know that I only went for a short ride the other day. I went to fill it up with gas and take my 12 yoa son on a short 10 minute ride. Wow what a difference. No jarring, no bouncing, just a nice compliant ride. What I really noticed was that I didn't notice the suspension, now with Greg's forks and your rear re-worked SH stock shock. Not noticing the suspension allows you to concentrate on other things.......Like the road and just riding.... With my son on board, I was not getting after it and it was just a short ride, but I wanted to say thanks for offering your services.
Awesome! I'm really glad to hear that you are happy with the results.

I think you hit it right on the head: you don't want to think about what the bike doing underneith you. Have of this game is 90% mental (as Yogi said) so to be fast and safe you need to focus on the riding and not the bike.

Enjoy!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Squid

bigbob65 is on a distinguished road
IS it worth upgrading the stock superhawk forks, or going with the 900rr, or f4i front end and upgrading that? This is for a race bike.

Would I see a huge difference if I went with the RC51 frontend moded?

Ive ran a stock rc51 front end superhawk ( SP2) and a superhawk with goldvalves and springs for my weight. The Superhawk stock frontend seemed better, but more flexable.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bigbob65
IS it worth upgrading the stock superhawk forks, or going with the 900rr, or f4i front end and upgrading that? This is for a race bike.
On a race bike it is most defiantly worth swapping the front end, to which one is your choice.

Would I see a huge difference if I went with the RC51 frontend moded?
Yes

Ive ran a stock rc51 front end superhawk ( SP2) and a superhawk with goldvalves and springs for my weight. The Superhawk stock frontend seemed better, but more flexable.
Well it must have been a **** poor set up RC51 front end. The one on my bike rocks but the again it was set up by Dan Kyle so it should.

Though personally I would stay away from the RC front end as the bits are getting rare and a new CBR1000rr front end will also give you radial brakes along with being cheaper in the long run but as always YMMV
Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
Trust me my Jamie f4i shock has made my SH suspension complete. It also made me jump higher run faster and better in the sack....says my wife....NO really what an improvement this mod is. And the fact that jamie is a real professional makes it so much better...the forum thanks you..
Old 06-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Squid

bigbob65 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
On a race bike it is most defiantly worth swapping the front end, to which one is your choice.

Yes

Well it must have been a **** poor set up RC51 front end. The one on my bike rocks but the again it was set up by Dan Kyle so it should.

Though personally I would stay away from the RC front end as the bits are getting rare and a new CBR1000rr front end will also give you radial brakes along with being cheaper in the long run but as always YMMV
It was a dead stock rc51 front end.

I cant run radial brakes in the class I wanna run. So Rc/ 929/954 are the only inverted frontends that will bolt up.

Might do the 900rr. Have my AK-20s taken out of my f3 and put in there.

One thing Ive noticed racing the f3, is its built to flex. and when people try to put on stiffer frontends and swingarms and whatnot to eleminate the flex, they usually never go as fast as the guys that keep the chassis mostly stock ( Rebuilt stock frontend, and just a good rear shock).

I never really pushed the superhawk at the track when I had it cause It was my daily driver. But was moving pretty good.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:42 AM
SuperBike

Yeah, I agree that an RC51 front end (or any inverted fork front) would be an improvement. That said, I'm not surprised that you were happy with your stock VTR front, those can be made to work really well with the right springs and valving setup.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 AM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
jamie did the suspension for my track bike, i should take a pic of my tire besauce its absolutly perfect. only had to mke minor adjustments to get it right.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:19 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by jay956
jamie did the suspension for my track bike, i should take a pic of my tire besauce its absolutly perfect. only had to mke minor adjustments to get it right.
Now that's what I like to hear!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Yeah, I agree that an RC51 front end (or any inverted fork front) would be an improvement. That said, I'm not surprised that you were happy with your stock VTR front, those can be made to work really well with the right springs and valving setup.
Yeah the stock stuff can be set up to work pretty well.

Though the suspension upgrades are well worth the time and cost if you do track days or even ride at a "brisk" pace on the street.

The bigger rotors that come with most, if not all, swaps is just an added bonus
Old 06-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jay956
Do you have one of his shift levers yet?? If not get one, yes they are that good....
Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
damn i had i known sooner been playing with the idea of doing the superhawks suspension, but its relegated to being my daily driver now...front end needs the most work...
Old 06-05-2011, 10:51 AM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Do you have one of his shift levers yet?? If not get one, yes they are that good....
im using a vfr shifter for the superhawk, nothing beats just metal bolted onto metal imo, no slack at all. and ive got vortex stuff on the f4i, but i want one similar to the vfr, the vfr lever is too short though.