SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Michelin Pilot Road 2CT (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/michelin-pilot-road-2ct-14011/)

hawkbill 03-11-2008 05:57 PM

Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

Guys,
If you're like me, you're probably aggravated with having to buy a new rear tire every couple thousand miles. I love the Michelin Pilots, but they lasted only about 2000 miles. Frustrated I decided to give the Pilot Road 2CT a try in hopes of getting better center tread mileage while keeping the corner grip of the Pilot. I'll tell ya, these tires are great! On the street the only difference was a slight tire slide if I released the clutch too quickly on a down shift...easily compensated for.
Yesterday I did a track day at VIR on the North course. I'll preface my next comments by stating I'm still in the beginner class. Regardless, these tires continue to impress. By the end of the day, I brought my lap time from 2:13 to 2:04 and was able to keep up with a buddy on an RC51 and went by many 600's, a couple Italian race horses, and few Buells for good measure! :p I still have lots of tread.
The front tire is still a regular Pilot as the tire life on fronts has been at least 1 year for me. In short, if you're looking for a high performance street tire with some longevity, you gotta give the Pilot Road 2CT a shot. It's a bit more expensive but given the additional life, it's well worth it.

mikecronis 03-11-2008 06:06 PM

Yep. C2Ts are the ones to get. Better and more stable than the Diablos for me. Warm up VERY fast even at very cold temps. A+.

nuhawk 03-11-2008 07:15 PM

Yep, that's what TxSuperChicken spooned on when he got back from over there. I got new Powers and while they may grind up soon - so could I.

If I get into it - I want the stickiest shit on the road.

The Powers are not quick to warm up and they're easy to spin in the rear when cold.

Remember this is Texas and cold to us is 40F.

Overall, I've been really pleased with them. I'm not as aggressive as I used to be but I still know how to push it. The Dunlops slip predictably - I think once warmed the Powers will bite it until you do.

killer5280 03-11-2008 07:31 PM

He's talking about the Pilot Road 2CT's, not the Pilot Power 2CT's.

JesseW. 03-11-2008 08:25 PM

i road a 06 GSXR 1000 with new pilot road 2's and they rocked. very stable, very sticky, felt great leaned over. i've been running the original pilot roads for a while now(3 sets) and love them. I think i overheated a pair at the gap (outsides turned blue and i could spin it up in 2nd coming out of some corners) but they held and gave me a lot of confidence in them. the pilot road 2's WILL be on there next after i burn up my diablo's i have waiting for my next trip to the gap in may

filter69 03-12-2008 02:55 AM

i gotta a question for you tires guys :) i have a 014 battle ax on my hawk i have about 800 miles on it and i have pretty much shredded the center and left side of the tire with just city driving(aggressive) is this normal for this tire on this bike. I'm gonna run it down to being a slick damn near then replace just trying to get a idea for a new tire keep hearing PP and diablos
but i would prefer to have more tread wear over "uber grip" in the corners

so any suggestions would be helpful

ghopki1 03-12-2008 05:13 AM

I have put 3K on my rear Road 2 and ordering a front Road 2 this AM....

Love it so far BTW:

Dusty B 03-13-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by filter69 (Post 155445)
i gotta a question for you tires guys :) i have a 014 battle ax on my hawk i have about 800 miles on it and i have pretty much shredded the center and left side of the tire with just city driving(aggressive) is this normal for this tire on this bike. I'm gonna run it down to being a slick damn near then replace just trying to get a idea for a new tire keep hearing PP and diablos
but i would prefer to have more tread wear over "uber grip" in the corners

so any suggestions would be helpful

I have the same tire on my hawk. I am in no way an aggresive rider, and managed to destroy the rear tire in about 1,200 miles. I think from all the reasearch I've been doing, I think I will be switching to the pp's this season. Does anyone have a suggestion as to if I should buy the road or power version though? Again, not real aggresive rider, but do want to grip when I need it.

trinc 03-13-2008 12:22 PM

i run corsa dragons ( take-offs ) so i only plan on 1k to 1500 street miles... but at $80-$120 set i'm not complaining... i 'gotta have the grip. :cool:

anyway: in other forums i've heard good reviews about the Metzler Z6 .

tim

FL02SupaHawk996 03-13-2008 01:05 PM

I'm running a $99 Dunlop D220 from last month's CycleGear sale and it seams to handle anything the street can through at it so far and hope to get 6K out of it, but only time will tell:nerd: