SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Manual CCT...Doh, What dumb things have you done? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/manual-cct-doh-what-dumb-things-have-you-done-35302/)

ACE VenTRa 03-17-2019 12:01 PM

Manual CCT...Doh, What dumb things have you done?

We had some awesome weather the other day so I took my bikes out for a ride. Now just before I took the vtr I glanced at the "todo" list that I put together and somehow completely glossed over the "DOUBLE CHECK CCT BOLT!"

The 6 lb flywheel is really nice, the OEM gearing is very long legged and the latest jetting changes are pretty darned good. Forgetting to double the check the lock nut on the manual cct for the front cylinder is not so hot. Exactly 1 mile away at my normal turnaround spot the V stalled on decel, confused I attempted to restart and all I heard was a grind. I knew what happened immediately, my heart sank, and I almost sank to my knees in tears after all the hard work this winter, how could I have done such a stupid thing?
Fast forward an hour to my garage aka triage. A quick teardown shows the chain bunched up at the front of the head but no apparent damage. The intake valves are cycling easily and normally by hand and the cams appear unfazed. I reset the timing and button it all up later that night and get ready to bump the ignition...

It cranks...

It starts!

It runs! No damage whatsoever, it runs like a top after losing all tension the front cct and the chain slipping off the sprocket. I can't friggin believe it! I've done the dumbest thing I can do to that bike and it survives to tell the tale.

1.) Apparently a vtr engine will survive if the chain comes off.
2.) Double check your damn tensioner before riding.

All I can think is that if it were thirty seconds later I would have bee non the return leg of my test n tune run and it would have been at about 9k when the chain came off, I probably would not have been so lucky.

On a positive not my valve spring are in and on their way to cryo treatment and the 39mm ss valves are being fitted now!

Wolverine 03-17-2019 12:14 PM

Go buy a lotto ticket.

E.Marquez 03-17-2019 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa (Post 409605)
1.) Apparently a vtr engine will survive if the chain comes off.!

Actually that's about the ONLY way it does survive, with the cams free to spin, the spring pressure forces the cams to rotate off the ramp, and with valves closed, no crash... Very lucky indeed

Personally I could never put the bike back on the road or track without confirming no damage ...its just the way I am... Id have to at least do a leak down test.......and stick a borescope in the cylinder ...but its just me being picky

ACE VenTRa 03-17-2019 02:51 PM

Runs like a top!!

My choices were:
  • Confirm damage and tear down
  • Confirm no damage certainly and put back together before tearing down again for new heads and jugs next winter
  • Confirm no damage to a reasonable degree and ride like the dickens.
I suppose if I didn't have plans to tear it apart again anyway...and I didn't have another bike...then maybe I'd get all finicky. The intakes looked good down the throat and there was no binding, I called it good.

AV

Pidge 03-18-2019 04:24 AM

Make sure you put your god mother, god father, fairy god mother, guardian angel, and the devil on your valentine day list. Someone is certainly watching over you.

ACE VenTRa 03-18-2019 01:07 PM

I am widely known among a small group of people for being the luckiest person alive. For that I am grateful, without my good fortune from I suspect I would not be here to type these words, certainly not with smile and a light heart.

AV

Bald Eagle 03-23-2019 05:06 PM

I can't believe it....my luck would have been, bent valves, ruin cam shaft, hole in piston...etc...etc....etc. Hey Ace...when are we going for a ride? I am waiting for a good rain shower to clean the roads of salt...which was yesterday...on the next 50 degree day...I will be out there. Might have to go west and visit you. I need to PM Marquez for a lighter fly wheel. Hope to see you out there.

ACE VenTRa 03-24-2019 02:26 AM

Oh I'm ready to ride. Until I get the Hawk registered I'll be on the Triumph though, it's ok my Hawk considers it family by now, I think that makes it a distant cousin to your Hawk. I'm hoping by mid April I'll have proper plates and inspection on it, we'll see how it goes. Looking forward to a ride on clear roads for sure.

AV

Bald Eagle 03-26-2019 05:30 AM

Hey Ace
Had a Triumph Speed Triple 2011. Very nice bike...better than a screaming 4 cylinder....with lots of torque...but a little on the heavy side for me. It wasn't at the time, until I rode the VTR. I just love the VTR so much....and to beat the Triumph out, it had to be good.
On the track, the VTR has so much more flexibility, I feel anyone can get out there and do well. Palmer here I come....hopefully with the Track Bike with the carbs set up and a lightened fly wheel....Thank you Erik.

Later folks.

Cadbury64 03-26-2019 12:52 PM

I have ridden my VFR800 with one of the cam bearing caps at finger tight for about 5km. Not my brightest moment.

ACE VenTRa 03-30-2019 02:57 AM

Hmm, that ticking wasn't there before...I wonder...

ACE VenTRa 03-30-2019 02:59 AM

Ahhh, does that mean you've got a flywheell on the way? Best mod ever...Did you sort that cylinder gasket yet?

E.Marquez 03-31-2019 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa (Post 409711)
Ahhh, does that mean you've got a flywheell on the way? Best mod ever...Did you sort that cylinder gasket yet?

I never give out customer names....but can say somebody in this thread is getting a 4lb 6oz package shipped to them on monday. :D
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...1ce06ee7a0.jpg

ACE VenTRa 03-31-2019 08:05 AM

I know where to a nice new set of reground cams to go with all that spice!!

E.Marquez 03-31-2019 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa (Post 409717)
I know where to a nice new set of reground cams to go with all that spice!!

Im thinking about it....
But just spent all my tool/play funds on a new tire machine.. Three motor builds this month those so perhaps there will be some cash for cams...unless the right lathe pops up and I spend more $$$ on that...LOL, its always something