SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Makin' some clip-ons (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/makin-some-clip-ons-14341/)

Gregw 04-13-2008 08:07 AM

Makin' some clip-ons

1 Attachment(s)
It seems I'm making a career out of my fork conversion. Work on it when I can. I thought it might be fun to make some clip-ons so I can get the angles I want. I think I'll have some time to test fit the forks (CBR1000) week after next to see how they fit and make any adjustments to keep stuff from hitting the fairing. I also need the figure out how much to grind off the lower triple stops. Here's the progress so far.

Blue Ridge Boy 04-13-2008 08:16 AM

Interesting look...should be pretty damn comfortable at that height. Good job.

mikstr 04-13-2008 09:19 AM

Nice :)

Gregw 04-13-2008 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Boy (Post 159448)
...should be pretty damn comfortable at that height.

I took a relative measurement from the underside of the upper triple at the steering head. From that, my clips are 1/8" lower than stock. When I get the forks to the right height, they'll probably be a 1/4" lower overall. I think they look tall because of the gullwing upper and that they attach to the forks below the triple clamp. I angled the risers back towards the seat so the reach isn't as far and the bars are straighter, out by 5 deg each, though that's an easy change if I don't like it.

RickB 04-13-2008 04:04 PM

They look nice... I like custom 1 off things like that....

Blue Ridge Boy 04-13-2008 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gregw (Post 159459)
I took a relative measurement from the underside of the upper triple at the steering head. From that, my clips are 1/8" lower than stock. When I get the forks to the right height, they'll probably be a 1/4" lower overall. I think they look tall because of the gullwing upper and that they attach to the forks below the triple clamp. I angled the risers back towards the seat so the reach isn't as far and the bars are straighter, out by 5 deg each, though that's an easy change if I don't like it.

:rolleyes: I didn't even realize you mounted them under the upper triple. Now I'm even more interested. :p

Gregw 05-11-2008 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made some more progress Friday. I forgot to mention in this thread I'm doing a fork swap with CBR1000 forks with the 954 triples. I got the lower triple stops ground down and the rads moved back. Put everything back on to check clearances. Nothing seems to bind or hit anything. The throttle cable clears the fairing. I'm going to pull the clip-ons off today and weld the final pieces on. Still debating the finish, toying with the idea of black chrome.

Blue Ridge Boy 05-11-2008 11:59 AM

Looking good! How much have you spent so far for the forks, triples, supplies, etc.?

Gregw 05-11-2008 07:58 PM

Not really sure how much it's cost. I've got receipts floating around from the last 6 months and some I'm sure went in the trash. Forks were $170 w/o shipping but needed new bushings, seals and springs. Got a new Brembo radial MC for $200. I had won a bid for a Nissin radial, but it wasn't in stock, so the seller gave me the Brembo no extra charge. I still need a few things- grips, bar ends, wheel bearings.

cliby 05-11-2008 09:21 PM

very nice work - I'm envious of the skills needed to fabricate - on my list of 'to learn'. looking at them they appear to be out quite wide. I'm guessing that is for tank clearance at full stop. But as we go lower (leaning wise), the hands natural tendency is to angle more than on a higher bar. Have you been able to sit on the bike in position for awhile? Just worried it might feel awkward after a bit - everyone is different. I have convertibars and it helped with those to rotate the fork mount clamp of the handlebar forward more so that I could angle back the actual clipon - if that makes sense - to give adequate tank clearance. Another solution is to drop the angle of the clip which also elimnates the awkward angle. Looks great and at least you have the ability to make the perfect fit. nice

bill

Gregw 05-12-2008 07:44 PM

Good eyes Bill. They are a little less than 2" wider end to end.

FTMS 05-13-2008 03:57 AM

Did you cut and add to existing clip ons or are you building these from scratch? Nice work!

Gregw 05-13-2008 04:31 AM

I'm starting from scratch. The 50mm clipons I have are cast aluminum for the risers. I don't think that I would be able to weld it very well. The ones I'm making are steel.

FTMS 05-13-2008 05:00 AM

You can weld cast aluminum. It is a little bit of a pain. Nice job.

Gregw 05-13-2008 08:59 PM

There is a guy I know who can weld cast, I've never done it though. I'd hate to have the bars snap off at an important moment. I've been itching to get a TIG, but I'd have to re-wire the garage for 240v. So I make do with Oxy/Acetylene and my MIG occasionally.

Gregw 05-18-2008 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got one mostly done. Need to do a little more smoothing. Then I'll do a little test plating to see what the black chrome looks like.

Gregw 05-21-2008 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Copper plating done. Black chrome goes on tomorrow.

Gregw 05-26-2008 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, there was no joy with the black chrome. I tried a couple different times, but it just wouldn't plate. Must be Voodoo magic I'm missin'. I went and painted them a semi gloss black just to be done with them. Pretty happy with 'em, they feel good.

lhoward1134 05-27-2008 06:36 AM

Those look good. Wish I had the patience to learn that stuff. Maybe someday soon.

lazn 02-10-2009 08:33 AM

I know this is a thread resurrect but, any chance of paying you to make a set of those for me? (assuming they work well on your bike, lol)