SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   make your own flo-commander (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/make-your-own-flo-commander-24445/)

20_rc51_00 12-27-2010 12:41 PM

make your own flo-commander

Anyone out there make their own? I'm always one to reinvent the wheel and save a buck. wondering if anyone out there has doen it. Seem like a rather simple device imo but i might be wrong.

Tweety 12-27-2010 02:18 PM

Simple in terms of idea, yes... Not so simple to make since you need pretty tight tolerances... I doubt you can make them cheaper since they are made in large series... But If you do manage, lemme know.... I have more bikes to fit them too... ;)

20_rc51_00 12-27-2010 08:14 PM

what would you need as far as tolerances, would the area of the jets where the tubing connects to the carbs not be the limiting point of the system and make the diameters of the other tubings trivial?

... if tolerances are specific then could you not limit the cross sectional area of the inlet point on the main body with a screw/bolt etc to dial in the proper flow rate?

thetophatflash 12-27-2010 08:40 PM

I have one and I would say you would be better off to buy one and use your time more effectively and put a first class carb adjustment on before installation and do your fine tuning with a screw driver from the outside after installation of the FC. My FC adjuster is easily accessible through a small grommet that fits quite nicely around the brass adjuster. Fine adjustment become quick and easy. It's fun to check out the performance after a quick adjustment.

Tweety 12-28-2010 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by 20_rc51_00 (Post 289406)
what would you need as far as tolerances, would the area of the jets where the tubing connects to the carbs not be the limiting point of the system and make the diameters of the other tubings trivial?

... if tolerances are specific then could you not limit the cross sectional area of the inlet point on the main body with a screw/bolt etc to dial in the proper flow rate?

No, the diameters of the tubing never becomes trivial... The one and single reason you can achive more airflow than the stock setup can, is the fact that the right diameter tube with no variances in restriction creates laminar flow...

That is still the "easy" part... You just get the right size tube and nipples and have them fit with press fit on the jets... Then you have both inlet and outlet nipples tapered in the mouth...

The hard part is the valve... Just sticking a bolt in there to change the opening is a bit crude... You will then have considerable turbulence since the end of the bolt isn't exactly smooth... In the FC, the valve does just that, but tries to keep the opening smooth and turbulence free at all times...

Now, like I said, it sounds easy in principle... But considering I spent 1 semester at university on flow theory of fluids and air, only to understand how much I didn't understand... Well, I know enough to know that it will take either good measuring tools and a lot of trial and error or a lot of math to get it to a point where your DIY FC actually improves on the stock setup...

My suggestion, if you really want to copy it, and understand it... Get one and open it up... It's a bit more complex than you think...

20_rc51_00 12-28-2010 09:35 PM

alright soudns good enough, thanks